Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt as a Gift >

Quilt as a Gift

Quilt as a Gift

Old 06-02-2010, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingfan
I am pretty picky on whom I give quilts too. My brother or sister in law wont get one because I do not think they are into quilts and it is not there thing. I did give my SIL a quilted table runner for Christmas last year and I have not heard anything from her. So sure wont be making a full size quilt.
That's kind of a good idea. Make something smaller to see how well it is received then you can decide whether to make them something bigger more time consuming and more costly or not. (hope that makes sense)
Old 06-02-2010, 05:37 PM

give my quilts to people I LIKE. It is my way of saying, "Here, I like you so you have the great honour of one of quilts being in your life. Cherish it or chuck it, it is yours and I am happy to have made it for you."
Now having said that DH keeps asking me to make a quilt for his daughter. She is thirty, has a great job and lives in another province and has never in the 6 years I have known him, sent him a birthday card, Father's Day card, Christmas card and of course never a gift either... so let me tell you I don't LIKE the selfish little %&!@* (rhymes with witch). She's on my list but I am hoping he forgets he has ever mentioned it!

Do it for him... I, too, have stepdaughters - one of which has lied to others about me, the other (when younger) wouldn't even come to the car one Christmas (let alone our house) to give her father a gift because I was in the car. I continued doing things for them as long as my husband asked me to - they now share in our supper EVERY Monday night - - -it has turned out so well... lots of heart ache in the mean time, but now it's been worth it - forgive her for his sake... oh - and I just made each of them a quilt - at my own 'request'!!! :)
Old 06-02-2010, 06:13 PM

Yep, it's very disheartening to have your quilt so under-appreciated. Her second child got a card, nothing more.
Old 06-02-2010, 06:23 PM

You said it.
Originally Posted by hazeljane
I look at it as the gift was my time and thoughts. And because it is a gift, I can let go when I give it. I made my husband's two grandbabies quilts, and I am just starting to get to know his kids. (His ex-wife has made sure it's not comfortable for ANYONE to be friendly with me) My husband took them when he went to visit at Easter. They were a huge hit with the girls, and his daughter in law thanked him to pass along to me, but that's it. And you know, I'd make them quilts again, because it is not about the thanks I get, it is about the joy I feel in making them and giving them love.

I understand why people are hurt, but for me, it's part of letting go as I get older.I don't take on other people's rudeness or let it affect my actions. Life is too short to feel that kind of resentment. If my quilts get used, I'm happy.
:thumbup:
Old 06-02-2010, 06:27 PM

Yep, happened to me too. Made a Queen size quilt for my SIL in AZ. Used the colors that she asked for. She never put in on the bed, stored it for about a year and after they had their whole house re-painted, she said that she would return it as they weren't her colors. I was really hurt. I should have kept it myself after that, but when I got it back, the Fine Arts Dept. at school was having a fund raiser auction, so I donated it to go with a Bed and Breakfast package. It was so funny that the one that bought the package was the owner of a LQS. She said, "I thought I had seen that before." (she was the Pres. of our quilt guild when I showed it in the Quilt Show) I just love making them for the enjoyment of it and giving them away. Someday I will make one and give it to ME! :)
Old 06-02-2010, 07:10 PM

Yep. I have had that happen twice. One was a comfort quilt for a friend who lost her husband...one verbal "oh" and never another word about it. The other time it was for a co-worker who had a baby. I taught her second grade daughter, so the lable said "made for ___ to hold her baby sister ___" The 2nd grader was speechless when I gave it to her, then she cried, and came to my room to thank me again at least three times during th day. Her mom never said a word. I was bamboozled by the adult's lack of appreciation, but my student's reaction was priceless.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by MaggieLou
I wonder if some people don't realize it's hand made and not store bought. I would think they would be more appreciative if there was some way to convey that when the quilt is given.
Make sure you put a label on the back of every quilt and they'll know it was hand made by you.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:29 PM

I haven't done a search yet. And I probably should but can someone explain the label for the quilt?
I have made 6 blue jean quilts and an attic window and didn't put a label on any of them.
I have read where a quilt isn't complete until a label is on it. I got them done and figured if I tried to do any thing else to them I'd mess them up for sure...
Old 06-02-2010, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Quiltbaby
I am probably going to be slam dunked on this answer but I would like to share it anyway.

When you made the quilt, you did it with a giving heart I hope. I know you would love for the response to be thank you and what a wonderful present. But you must remember that you are dealing with humans and that may have been that person's way of saying thank you. That person probably do not know you felt the way you did. When you give something from you heart, don't worry about the thank you. God has a better thank you than man can provide. Keep giving and many good things will be given back to you. Plus if you dwell on this, that person is controlling your emotions and doesn't even know it. Just give because you love giving and expect nothing in return. What a blessing you will be.

Quiltbaby
Yes I agree! I don't expect a gushing response. And I give because I want to give. I have made this SIL many many things since. Everyone tells me I shouldn't, but I don't feel the same way as them. Yes, God has blessed us!
Old 06-02-2010, 07:31 PM

People who don't do creative things with their own hands usually have no idea how much work, how many thoughts and how much love is in something handcrafted :cry:
if they need a gift they go in a shop and buy something expensive and maybe ugly and useless.
What I learned I never give something handcrafted to this people. But as always there are exceptions...and for those people it is a joy to give e.g. a quilt.