Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Stores and YOU >

Quilt Stores and YOU

Quilt Stores and YOU

Old 02-13-2014, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by Gramie bj View Post
My favorite are all small LQS. Needlelyn & Time in Omak, friendly, clean, offers a little bit of everything, if they don't have it or can't get it they will tell you where else you might find it. Only about 20 min. south of me. The Attic Window in Wenatchee, another all around good shop. About 2 hr. south. Yesteryear Love this shop. It has all the good quality's as the others, very large inventory, added to it being in an old store front building with original creaking hardwood floors, About 16 foot ceilings, located off the beaten path in the small farming community of Waterville, about 2 1/2 hr. south east of me.
My mom grew up in Omak!
Old 02-14-2014, 01:20 AM

I have to give my enjoyable moments credits to Quilt Harbor in Aberdeen --- I get to play with the fabrics, explore the horizons with my Bernina 380 and 1300mdc and have great help as needed. To go farther away, I travel to Elma Variety with their great selection of quilting fabrics both regular cottons and flannels...but then Elma Variety has had a special place in my heart since I was a kid and went their with my Daddy to purchase gifts for my Momma and my siblings. Owners have changed through the years but the small town flavor suits me.

If we are talking larger retail establishments, I would say Fabric Depot followed here in Western Washington with Hancocks on 38th St. in Tacoma --wide variety and pleasant customer experience. Also love stopping at Gigi's in Yelm. I go for quality and service and hope the price is within range of the pocket book.
Old 02-14-2014, 02:04 AM
Power Poster

my favorite would have to be my small, friendly local shop The Quilt House in Indian River, MI--- it is small but very well stocked, everyone is friendly, helpful, love to share, see you, help you find what you need. they take my hubby under their competent wings at Christmas time and help him fill my stocking- make him feel comfortable and valued; there may be big places on line to shop when the local does not have what you need-but when it comes to being the favorite place to go I will choose the small 'personal' shop every time- I don't enjoy shopping in huge warehouse style fabric stores- no help, no personal attention, no friendly 'oh, i'm glad you are here' attention.
Old 02-14-2014, 02:12 AM

One of my favorites in Rockledge, FL is The Quilt Place. I can/do spend hours in there not to mention the money I spend! The do have a club "Sew Special" for discounts, a monthly fat quarter and a monthly quilt pattern.
Old 02-14-2014, 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by LynnVT View Post
I am very fortunate to live in a small country town surrounded by good fabric shops. Country Treasures, a jam packed quilt shop is only a mile from my house. Tons of great fabrics, pleasant, helpful owner and employees - nearly everything I need right nearby. About ten miles west of me is Water Wheel Quilts which has less fabric, but a bright, modern theme and again, great people. Ten miles south of me is Quilt-Away, another great shop with lots of batiks, novelties, and other fabrics. Good advice available there too, and quite a few good bargains. Ten miles to the east is Frank's, a discount fabric shop with a variety of upholstery, knits, quilt fabrics and notions all at reduced prices. Not far from there is Four Pines Quilts, a small shop in New Hampshire (no sales tax on anything). Good thread selections, some nice fabrics, notions, and more great advice from the owners, a mother and son team. WalMart in that town has some yardage. There are three JoAnn's around me, each about a 45 minute drive in different directions, two of which are in tax-free New Hampshire. So basically I'm in fabric heaven here.
Country Treasures and Quilt-Away are two of my favorites. Chester, Vermont is certainly fabric heaven, lucky you.
Old 02-14-2014, 05:38 AM

The best LQS closest to me is in Ephrata The Fabric Patch. Good prices, lots of help, and lots of classes. But once a year four of us gals make a weekend trip to Portland. We go to Fabric Depot twice while we are there and also we make a trip to the Powell book store.
Old 02-14-2014, 05:48 AM

My two favorites are Millcreek Fabric and Sewing in Erie, and Calico Patch in North East, PA. Both are always ready and willing to help with any project, order fabric if you need it, or try and find something you want. We have a JoAnn's nearby, but I don't like it much. Staff is not very friendly, never anyone around to help you when you need it, one cashier, long lines. I pretty much stick to the LQSs. My very favorite online has to be Hancock's of Paducah. Love their catalog!
Old 02-14-2014, 06:03 AM

Hancock Fabrics. I am taking advantage of their 50% off of solid cottons today. I like being able to look at sewing patterns, also. If I need fabric in matching colorways I go to a local quilt store. I am building up my basics now.
Old 02-14-2014, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by kathyz View Post
The best LQS closest to me is in Ephrata The Fabric Patch.wow do you know Charisma ? Good prices, lots of help, and lots of classes. But once a year four of us gals make a weekend trip to Portland. We go to Fabric Depot twice while we are there and also we make a trip to the Powell book store.
The Best Bookstore Ever.
Old 02-14-2014, 06:54 AM

Hi Dreamer, I found free WiFi while my car is being fixed. Now, on to my favorites....

I love equiler.com. my go to place for Novelty Fabrics.

I love fabric.com for designer fabrics. Usually runs great sales between Christmas and New Years.

I also order frequently from connectingthreads.com. I buy there cotten quilting thread and fabrics and kits. They have great affordable prices.

I also buy my embroidery machine bobbin thread from sewforless.com. They carry the exact thread that my machine likes.

I shop locally at JoAnn Fabrics in Brandon, FL and also the Bruce B Downs location in New Tampa, FL. It is very affordable for me.

And, I will also be trying out coatsandclark.com this year to see if I can get better prices on thread that way. I actually like piecing with poly/cotton thread. I think my seams lay flatter. I sure hope this is not a bad thing.

I also have shopped at the Hancock Fabrics in , Paducah, KY. But it really isn't that affordable for me.

I look forward to seeing everyone else's picks are. I am a big online shopper. I absolutely hate running from place to place to find what I'm looking for.

Thanks for starting this thread.

Last edited by Judith1005; 02-14-2014 at 07:00 AM.