Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Quilting Fabrics

Blog Entries
    I'm a fabric snob. Not only do I only use 100% cotton but I only use brand name fabric. Probably why I have a big credit card bill. Now to get some of that expensive fabric sewn up into quilts...

Blog Entries
    I have found that the $1.00 a yard fabric at Walmart is just not reliable fabric. Even if you are just starting out and practicing try to buy good 100% cotton fabric it makes a real difference and you won't get frustrated. That being said I have made "sensory quilts" for the neonatal unit that my son spent the first 3 months of his life in and they have every kind of fabric imaginable in them, the more the better the doctors say, and they get alot of use in the unit and have to be washed and sterilized often.

I use all 100% cotton, but I watch for sales on quilt shop quality fabrics and stock up when I find really good deals. :mrgreen:

I use 100% cotton as well. I am also fairly new, a couple years now. Welcome from the mtns of Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by littlesurfer
    I would like to know what kind of fabric everyone uses for quilting projects. I'm learning how to quilt and wonder if different types of fabric is okay to use, i.e., poly/cotton blends. I know 100% cotton is the number one choice. Our local Walmart is having what they call a "fabric-a-rama" sale. 5 yards of fabric for $5...you must buy the entire 5-yard bolt. A lot of this fabric seems to be a poly/cotton blend. $1.00 a yard is hard to pass up.
    Welcome to the quilting world and to this Board!

I don't use the poly/cotton blends for piecing however it is great for backings.

Lucy

Sweet Home, Oregon and now Independence, MO
    I use 100% cotton most of the time. But, 32 years ago, my mother made me a blanket with a single piece of lavender polyester for the top and a single piece of navy polyester for the backing. She put polyester batting inside and tied it with yarn. 32 years late, that quilt looks the exact same as it did the day she gave it to me. You just can't kill polyester! It's not the prettiest quilt, but it has lasted. She made a double wedding ring out of cotton for my wedding and it is in tatters. She made my daughter a Holly Hobby out of cotton and it is in tatters. So who knows? I love them all, but I can only use the polyester blanket.

Quote Originally Posted by GrammaNan
    I have most success using 100% cotton fabrics however I have seen every fabric imaginable used in quilting. Back in the 70's my DMIL made quilts out of 100% polyester. Crazy quilts can be a mixture of any fabrics. The key is to prewash the fabrics before you cut them so that they won't shrink unevenly after they are quilted. If you don't plan on using the quilt and washing isn't going to be an issue, you don't have to worry about it. You will receive many more posts about this from people who know a lot more than I do so I am going to follow the post as well.
    Hello from California. I just happened to have a very dear friend who lives in Centennial, Co. I got excited when I saw where you were from. Just thought I'd share that with you.

I prefer 100% cotton. For" fun" quilts, fleece works well

Without actually seeing those fabrics for $1.00 a yard, holding them up to the light, scrunching for bounce back, the dye job, and just plane feeling them, I would be very leery of such a good deal just because the price is 'right'. You may just get what you pay for.

Cotton always, it always performs well and lasts for many years.
    Kind Regards,
    MaryAnna

I have made quilts with a mixture of 100% cotton and a polyester cotton blend. I pre washed everything and the quilts have turned out fine. I would not use 100% polyester as the fabric is very dense and very hard to quilt.

I can't use poly in anything - it makes me sweat like a horse and smell like anything. Had to give me BGF all the clothes my mum made me - or I would have been a lonely adolescent! Even poly blankets in hotels - I wake up smelling bad.

there is good and bad in all fabrics ---get used to feeling and looking at the weave-- wash every thing before you use it then spray starch it when you iron it---i love to use 100%cottons----but have seen some great crazy +memory quilts with allsorts of fabrics their makers said they needed to be more careful

Dee
    I use 100% cotton and poly cotton.

I prefer 100% cotton fabrics. I find it to be softer than a ply blend. Since you are a new quilter I'd also like to add some advice if you use 100% cotton fabric make sure you use cotton thread as well. Polyester is stronger than cotton, and if you use polyester thread over the years the polyester thread can actually cut through your cotton fabric. Your quilt will wear out quicker!

The first quilt I did 30 years ago (probable more) was done with what ever I had on hand. Why? Because I didn't know any better, no one to teach me but something I thought was interesting to try. If I remember right I used poly, cotton, and also blends in that first quilt. My daughter still has it and it's held together all this time, she washes it often (as I did when she was a child) as her children still use it to bum around the house with. But now that I have started learning the real way to quilt and the do's and dont's , I use 100% cotton. Sometimes I still wander why but if I decide to use a mixed blend I will do that for the whole quilt. Not just piece the different fabrics together. I would think that what ever fabric you choose t quilt with is OK as long as you are consistent with the type.

Quote Originally Posted by MZStitch
    I prefer 100% cotton fabrics. I find it to be softer than a ply blend. Since you are a new quilter I'd also like to add some advice if you use 100% cotton fabric make sure you use cotton thread as well. Polyester is stronger than cotton, and if you use polyester thread over the years the polyester thread can actually cut through your cotton fabric. Your quilt will wear out quicker!
    Thank for that information as I didn't know that either

Happy to pass this tip along, it was taught to me by a friend when I was just learning to quilt. She had been quilting for years, and showed me one of her first quilts she made, the fabric itself was still in good condition everywhere except the seams. The poly thread over the years slowly cut away at the fabric.

Blog Entries
    for me it is 100% cotton all the way, if I am going to spend my time and effort on making some thing I really try to get the best quality fabrics I can, to put into my work. My very first quilt was not 100% c0tton,but that is another story. And why today I stick with all cotton, LOL

Blog Entries
    I use whatever I have at the time..I have made many, many quilts with poly/cotton.......it works just fine, looks fine, washes fine, etc.......I dont wash the fabrics before hand, but I wash every quilt I make, after it is finished... and I press everything as I sew along, always pressing seams,etc.... I haven't ahd any problems using different fabrics, but I do try to keep it all the same in the same quilt, if possible.......like, I don't mix odd things into it, unless the whole thing is ODD things...

Power Poster
    I learned to only use 100 % cotton so that is the only kind of fabric I buy for a quilt.

I use poly cotton only in scrap quilts. Sometimes you cannot buy the right color fabric to match in 100% cotton and then I buy the poly cotton.
    I learned a hard lesson with using polyester thread in a quilt I made for my dear sister. After pressing the blocks the thread and melted
    and the seams came apart, from then on I only use cotton thread for all my quilting.

i am a 100 % cotton lover here

I might use a poly/cotton for backing of a small to med wall hanging to infant quilt. I love chintz, but can't seem to find it. Any ideas. Thanks,

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast