Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Quilting leads to adoption?

I also have no experience in foreign adoption but have adopted from foster care. He is the light of my life. I can not imagine my life without him. The bio child closest to him is 18 years older than he is.

If you don't want a baby the adoption process is quicker and cheaper.

I also have no experience in foreign adoption but have adopted from foster care. He is the light of my life. I can not imagine my life without him. The bio child closest to him is 18 years older than he is.

If you don't want a baby the adoption process is quicker and cheaper.

ewesful, bless you for helping battered women. we have a family member who has fostered children for decades. she currently has 2 boys, brothers, since they were very young. their mother endured many serious beatings from her husband. i know people who've adopted from romania, russia, china. their children have various mental and physical issues. as someone said, adoption is not for the faint of heart (generally speaking).

my husband and i chose to adopt from the foster care system in the u.s. it was ok with us that she was not a newborn. i know this is important to some people. our daughter is doing well, there are challenges.

think carefully, pray earnestly.

I have had no adoption experience either but would like to commend you on your wonderful heart. I have to agree that if you leave this in His hands, He will surely guide you on the right path.I admire you greatly for even considering this path. My prayers are with you and I feel certain you will see the path to take clearly in time. Hope it is soon. May God bless.

My son & daughter in law adopted 2 girls from China, the second in 2003 through the Holt Agency out of Washington State. It took them lots of steps but it is well worth the effort. I don't know what China is doing now. I heard they are more strict with the adoptions but it would be a start looking into it. My granddaughters are so adjusted and very active. For us and our family there is no difference.

I know what I've heard about international adoption is to adopt locally. We have just as many kids with nothing and in need of love in the States as in other countries. Plus, I'd imagine, it would be easier to adopt from the States than from Japan/etc. Either way, you are doing a wonderful service and mitzvah (good deed) in adopting someone who needs you. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by glenda
    How about trying out being foster parents first?
    Good suggestion. And with being foster parents, you can help more children as you give them a loving environment and security temporarily until a permanent home is found. So you can help more kids

Why don't you try doing foster care first, it will give the kids a chance to get a feel for sharing their mom, and give you a chance to see how well you can handle another kid in the house. It may not have the glamour of adopting a child from another country, but you dont' have to go far from home to find a child in need.

We went through many trials with IVF - no luck, more health issues. God sent a patron into the library with a crying child that I could not go see to. This led to many conversations and this led me to my son. He was local in a foster home. 11 years later, I would do it all again. Local or abroad. Good luck - pm if you want to chat. I know that helps some.

If you find you are not able to adopt because of finances or other reasons, consider sponsoring a child from another country. We are empty nesters with all five children and ten grands still close to home but wanted to reach out and help another child. This way we not only help a child but the whole family too. We are sponsoring through Mission of Mercy if you want to check them out.

As one who was adopted, I would suggest that you really, really think over your motives. I was adopted at the age of four by one couple and then, about six months later, I was "unadopted". I was immediately adopted by another couple and that adoption lasted until their deaths. However, up until shortly before her death my mother was still introducing me to everyone as "my adopted daughter." I was over 50 and, I've got to tell you; that, plus the 45 years of "you should be grateful we adopted you," was 50 years too much.

I am also not against foreign adoptions, but when you consider the number of children in this country who live in miserable situations and need help, why don't you consider one of them.

Also, this may be a disruption for your children that they will not tolerate easily. You might consider becoming a foster parent before you actually adopt. Having a strange child in your home on a temporary basis could alert you to what problems might arise if you adopt.

I have five children by birth and one by adoption, All of my sister's children are adopted, one internationally and the others domestically. My cousins are adopted. We are a multi-racial family, I guess. Please PM me if you would like to know more.
    International adoption is getting more and more difficult and more and more expensive. Having said that, there are still ways to do it. There are also many other ways to touch children. We support three children in Honduras through an organization that gives almost every penny to the kids. We have visited the school and seen how everything is handled. They live with their parents, who are extremely poor, but we pay for their education, one meal a day and their uniforms.
    I'd be happy to talk to you if you have any questions.

My friend has two beautiful, lovely young ladies from China. They don't seem to prefer girls there so it was relatively easy to adopt. But now a single Mom such as herself would not be able to unless she had adopted previously . Married couple-no problem

Blog Entries
    I don't have any experience. But I do wish you the best of luck. Seems you already have the first requirement - a generous and big heart. Please let us know what happens.

A couple from my church adopted a 16 year old girl from Africa. There were a LOT of adjustments. After being here for about 2 years now, life is getting easier. Family life adjusted faster than school life. Because there are a lot of Sumalian refugees here, she was put in a class with these refugees. Most of them had no education before coming here, and, unfortunately, were looked down on by much of the American student body. A lot of bullying went on against this group. It got to a point that this young gal refused to go to school as she was grouped in with the refugee students, even tho' she had a very good education before coming here. The school would not transfer her into the mainstream school body!!! She has transferred to a different school and doing fine now.

I would think there would be much less adjustment for a younger child, as that age group generally seems to be much more accepting of differences.

If this is what you are meant to do, the way will be opened for you. Please keep us updated!!!!

Patti

I wish you the very best if you decided to adopt. I have always wanted to adopt. Sadly, my husband does not share my heart for adoption. My dream was to adopt 2 daughters from China or Haiti. But I am 45 now and have 4 biological children. Short of a miracle, it will never happen. If you have love to share and resources to provide, I encourage you to pursue adoption. Pray about it and see where God leads you.

I think it is great if you can open you heart and take in a child. Not everyone is able to do that. Just be prepared for the road ahead.

Blog Entries
    Both of my boys grew 'not under my heart, but in it'. What more can I say except that if you do go ahead with this, the child or children must be considered as if you gave birth to them. Never have I thought that my boys were someone else's children. The many discussions we have had were around why and how they came into our family. International adoption is expensive and takes time. There are many considerations with this decision, including cultural differences.

Power Poster
    Good luck to you and your family.

My nephew and his wife were told they would probably not be able to have any children. They signed up to be foster parents and got a 3 month boy old whose mother had a drug problem. About 3 weeks later the agency called and asked if they would take a 3day old boy, his mom had mental problems. They fell in love with both boys and proceeded to adopt both. Then the good Lord sent them a biological son to boot! The first two are like twins, althought one is blond haired with blue eyes and his brother has dark skin and dark curly hair. Would you believe they look like the adoptive parents. They have been a part of out family for 5 years now and a blessing. The one with a mentally ill mother is very bright and has no signs of mental problems. The one whose mom was on drugs is smaller and more average in school, but a lover and very happy.

The girl I work with adopted 2 girls 5 years apart from China- there was alot of hidden and last minute expenses and alot of hoops to jump
    through. One daughter has some medical and psychiatric problems, but
    is a good student . Hope this helps

Well, what an interesting thread! I just want to say that my heartfelt gratitude goes out to all you foster/adoptive parents & families who provide unending love & support to our children who needed it most! A gazillion hugs to you all!
    If it weren't for people like you, my husband probably wouldn't have had as great a childhood as he did! He was adopted at 7 mos of age by two of the most wonderful people I've met. May they Rest in Peace. And we did not know he was adopted until he was 42! His parents were deceased by then & had not shared that info with either of us. Interesting.
    Maureen

Not international however, our third of four children was adopted and love him to pieces. At 22 he has tried us just like the other 3 haha, good luck. A dear friend adopted 2 little Korean girls many years ago.

I hear all the wonderful experiences people had in adoption and my heart aches. I adopted a baby girl and I guess I didn't look into it well enough. I had a auful experence. Behavior problems is a nice way of putting it. She even set my house on fire. That was befor I broke the adoption. My heart breaks everytime I go back through memory lane. I loved her so much. my advice, check things out very well. Love cann't fix everything.

we adopted our daughter 32 years ago from Korea she was 5 weeks old. It was a very happy day for me . my husband was in the navy and we were in misawa, Japan at the time. We tried for 7 years to have our oun baby but just never did. we adopted her from the lawer Mr.Kim is Korea. I am so happy we did that.. she is my daughter and she is so much like me and even has ways like my moma. I am now a grandmother of twin boys they r 5 years old. she has blessed me in so many ways. I thank God everyday for giving her to me. she is the child he chose for me. and i am so happy to have her in my life. i am no longer married to her dad and I have had cancer 2 times thyroid cancer 26 years ago and breast cancer just 18 months ago. She has been there for me through all of it. she lives with me now and i am so happy to have her and the twins in my life.

Wow, So-Sew. I have adopted two sisters from Korea. First we got the youngest one a week after she turned 2. Her older sister was not available at the time but became available almost two years later when she was 5 and a half.

I have a lot to tell you. I don't have time tonight so I should send you a letter on the weekend. All I can say is my heart was at the right place but I was not prepared for the challenges.

Me with my four daughters
    Name:  Attachment-178036.jpe
Views: 13
Size:  40.2 KB

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast