Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is Quilting Still Enjoyable For You? >

Is Quilting Still Enjoyable For You?

Is Quilting Still Enjoyable For You?

Old 09-25-2011, 04:12 AM

I made my first baby quilt before my son was born 31 years ago and I made my first bed quilt when he was around one year old. I never get tired of planning and making quilts! I do love the design process and buying the fabric more obviously because I have around 15 sets of fabric for quilts! I told my sister yesterday (while we were at the quilt shop and I bought fabric for yet another quilt) that I would absolutely NOT buy any more fabric until I complete most of the quilts that are waiting to be made in my sewing room! Now that I have a quilting machine I will get finished even faster since I'm not spending months hand quilting. If anything...I get even more excited as the years go buy because of the gadgets, rulers and enormous array of fabric choices...not to mention the quilt shows and number of quilt shops, books and magazines! If anything, I find it extremely hard to tone down the excitement and control my urge to want to make everything I see!
Old 09-25-2011, 04:18 AM

I have made panel quilts for about 20 years. But I only learned piecing 6 years ago and absolutely love it. I have quilt books all over the house and fabric keeps popping up everywhere. I moved my sewing machine into my living room so I could sew more often. Total addicted. My DH is such a sweetie, he goes to all the quilt shows with me and helps me pick out fabric. When I finish a quilt and need to pick borders or move the blocks around, he has the best eye for where things should go. Yes, I still absolutely love to quilt. Some things aren't as much fun as others, but the whole process of using and creating something out of this beautiful fabric is fantastic.
Old 09-25-2011, 04:37 AM

28 years and although have some overuse wrist issues, still love it. At peace with doing what I can, when I can for whom I want, yesterday gave a cowboy 3 D quilt to my grandboys and the 3 year old put it right on his rocking horse he named Woody. Pure joy!
Old 09-25-2011, 04:39 AM

My DIL asks me why I am making a certain quilt. I say you make it because you want to and like doing it. Quilting is a passion for some people. I guess I'm one of those people.
Old 09-25-2011, 04:43 AM

Yes! I just can't spend the amount of time I would like doing it. Got a lot of ideas and lists and will never get them all done but love to keep trying!
Old 09-25-2011, 04:43 AM
Power Poster

Gosh, I still love it too!
Old 09-25-2011, 04:44 AM
Power Poster

I really like quilting. I think I am at over 9 years. Yesterday or so I had this fleeting moment of thinking of stopping. I struggle with the actual quilting part. As my children grow so do their quilts. I feel pretty over whelmed tackling calkings and queens or even extra big twins on a regular sewing machine. Can do but the body does not like it. I am not sure if I will keep quilting, people will only get lap quilts, my quilts will be tied, we buy a long arm, hire all quilting out to a LA owner or what but I need to find a solution. I feel I am getting at a turning point.
Old 09-25-2011, 05:12 AM

Oh yeah!! I usually finish a top (got a lot of tops sitting in boxes!) and while I wait for my next inspiration, I hand quilt on the 2 king sized quilts that I've been working on for years (I WILL finish those some day!). I am secure in the knowledge that the "right" project will come along & get me all psyched & creative again. Yesterday, almost 2 months after finishing my last large quilt top, I washed and starched all the fabrics for my next one, made templates and pretty much decided which layout I'll do. Fun, fun, fun! 2 months is a typical length of time for my Rest&Recuperation between projects.

Like most of us, I think, I have some major issues going on in my life all of the time. There's absolutely no sense in complaining, nor feeling sorry for myself; I just get on with it. I am so grateful for the creative side of my life and the tools that I have available to me to make quilts; it just makes me do a happy dance.
Old 09-25-2011, 05:17 AM

I have been quilting since I was 5 years old and I still love it. The designing part is my favorite, binding is my least.
Old 09-25-2011, 05:29 AM

It sure is! When I am in a slump or am short on time doing everything else I need to do, I tell myself that there is just way too much money and time invested in my 2 rooms of sewing that I have to make the time to get down there. Sewing and quilting is something I have known and done for so long I could not imagine not loving it and doing it. I only cringe at the thought what if I don't outlast every last bit of fabric I have. I keep hoping my passion rubs off on my daughter, sons, and/or daughter in laws sometime in the near future.