Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Rejected at the fair, a birthday quilt for my friend

Blog Entries
    It does flow beautifully. I love your quilt and it is so well done! Shame on them!

??? Puhleeezze. Flow well? How wonderfully creative of you. And what a lovely gift.

I love it,I also love to do that sort of stuff. It is very pretty.

Soooooooooooo Nice.

Wow! I love it!

I think it is awesome, very creative. You must be just too advanced for them, their loss.

Blog Entries
    It is a very unique piece. I wish the judges could have seen the artistic merit. So sorry that this happened to you. I'm glad you didn't let it discourage from continuing to create your visions of beauty. It is outstanding!

It is a darling quilt and it should of been entered. The fair needs new judges. Every quilt should be able to be entered, it is a fair!!!

I think it's wonderful - so creative and fun! A few years back there was an article in the Chicago Tribune about a county fair in the western suburbs of Chicago. They criticized a 10-year-old childs hand made little furniture and little animals. Out of wood and clay as I recall. The judges called them "amateurish". People were furious. Judges can be real idiots. Don't take it to heart. I'm sure your entry made many people smile and I'm sure they enjoyed your fun and creative approach. Keep it up!!!

Quote Originally Posted by amandasgramma
    All of the above!!!! Good grief! I haven't entered quilts in a fair, but I thought EVERYONE could enter...didn't know they were judged. I entered a painting once....of an ocean scene. The one that won didn't even look like an ocean!!!! (was in the ocean category). I found out later that the judges were related to the one that won....maybe the same thing happened to you OR they were just plain brain dead!!!!

I love your quilt!
    Yes, I agree. I'd bet money there's more to this story than you know.

Blog Entries
    How sad 'they' said that to you. I hope it did not deter you from continuing to be as creative as you obviously are. I couldn't have come up with such a creative quilt.

Just so you know, I have saved a copy of the photos of your quilt in my photo library for inspiration when I next need it.

:-D

Must have been a bunch of curmudgeons judging that show...I think your quilt is whimsically delightful!

Blog Entries
    Fiddlestix! The quilt is just too cute. Very creative. I love it!

Blog Entries
    Your quilt is delightful, and I LOVE your label!

Jim
    sounds like you could say the same thing about the judges...blood "DOESN'T FLOW" to their brains...i think its great!

Blog Entries
    If it was a bowl of syrup, I could understand the 'doesn't flow' comment. I bet your recipient was thrilled with it. I would be. It gives a new meaning to wishing someone a 'Happy Birthday'. :thumbup:

Sometimes judges at fairs already have their minds made up about the type they want to see. Personally, I love this and see how much time it took you to do.

It is true in all competitions in the world. Some judges don't like cocker spaniels so people don't enter them in that contest but wait until they have a fighting chance.

It's the same as entering my daughter in a ballet competion...she'd fall flat on her face. lol

My son who is an artist encountered the same sort of thing when he entered some of his work in our county fair while he was in art school. One of the pictures had been selected to be on display at the school for a period of time, so there was no doubt that it passed muster. However it did not even receive an 'honorable mention' at the fair because apparently it was 'too out there' for the taste of the judges. I'll grant you, his stuff is definitely not bluebonnets and windmills, which is what seems to be the popular thing around here.
    Anyway, your quilt is just adoreable!

Fabulous design!

I'm sure people like Vincent van Gogh and contemporaries heard the same type of criticisms. They kept at it and so should you. Your quilt is lovely!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOW, experiences like that just irk me! That quilt is gorgeous, and those judges should be shot...talk about a self-esteem killer! That's how my quilting attempts went down the drain when the teacher/owner of the quilt shop yelled at my 1/8th of an inch off seam. Gees, Louise! I haven't quilted since, and that's over 25 years ago, but I'm going to give it a go with a class next month. Obviously, with all I'm learning here, 1/8" is a big deal, but teachers are supposed to be gentle about it!

I think you have a great imagination! I have put stuff in little county fairs...and even a state fair...and nobody ever rejected anything anybody made. What a wonderfull, delightfull idea! Do you know any quilters who make pictorial quilts? Maybe you could get a little group of a few together now and then and swap technique information ...or make some row quilts just for fun! JP

That is just too adorable!
    It doesn't f-l-o-wwwww?
    What the heck does that even mean???
    You have a very lovely quilt there.

Lori

what a neat idea. I like it

Hi to u it is so CUTE

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 LastLast