Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Scant 1/4" seam; SERIOUSLY???????? >

Scant 1/4" seam; SERIOUSLY????????

Scant 1/4" seam; SERIOUSLY????????

Old 03-28-2012, 08:19 AM

I didn't pay any attention to "scant 1/4"" until I started making the blocks for the free Craftsy BOM class I signed up for. My blocks started coming out just a bit too small even though I measured, cut, and sewed as accurately as I could using my trusty 1/4" guide foot. The more seams there were within the block, the worse it got, of course. Once I set the needle position over 1 "click", the problem was solved.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:36 AM

Reading this is the old story about the centipede who walked along on his 100 feet just fine until someone asked him which foot he put out first. Now I'm afraid to do any more swaps because I am NOT a perfectionist. No complaints from the one I recently did, but maybe my ears should be burning if someone wasn't happy. I hate goopy stuff on my machines, so I use the quilter's foot that came with my Janome and the magnetic foot I bought for Featherweight. Good enough is good enough for me for now. As someone said, I quilt for fun!
Old 03-28-2012, 08:41 AM

Default Accurate piecing

Here is a pdf file I prepared for our 4-Hers regarding 1/4" seam allowance.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Accurate Piecing.pdf (104.1 KB, 168 views)
Old 03-28-2012, 08:44 AM

http://www.quiltdesignnw.com/QtrInchSeam.htm

[TABLE="width: 100%"]
[TR]
[TD="width: 50%"]Test your 1/4" seam allowance: [/TD]
[TD="width: 50%"] [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="width: 100%, colspan: 2"]You can download it in PDF format here. [/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
Old 03-28-2012, 08:50 AM

The outside edge of my foot is 1/4" from the center of my needle. I keep the edge of the fabric slightly under the edge of the foot. This is what I consider my "scant" 1/4".
Old 03-28-2012, 11:54 AM

I tried a "scant quarter" for a set of blocks for a mystery quilt for our guild and guess who had to take them all apart and now need to start over! A 1/4 " is a 1/4" any way you say it! It always worked before nad I'd like to kick myself for not sticking to what has always worked!
Old 03-28-2012, 11:57 AM

A scant 1/4 inch! Ha! HA! Ha! Yeah right!! I do pretty well to do what I do, I rarely ever have to rip out and start over, but I'd rather be over 1/4 than under so I drive as straight as I can!
Old 03-28-2012, 01:54 PM

I'm with you. A constant 1/4 seam works fine for me. My quilts are for comfort, not show. If I have to fudge a little on a seam to make my blocks fit, fine!!!
Old 03-28-2012, 02:30 PM
Banned

If you bought a jig saw puzlel and some of the pieced didn't fit because they were a scant too large......what would be your reaction.
It is the same with quilting. I assume we all want the pieces to fit. If they fit with the 1/4" seam; the 3/8" seam or whatever then that is ok. However, if I am sewing two pieces together and want them to fit another piece or fit into a more intricate section, then I want it to all fit. The scant 1/4" was suggested to accommodate for the space the fold takes up when pressed. The thickness of the fabric can make a difference; the width of the needle and even the size of the thread. I started piecing some simple shapes recently and changed thread in the bobbin and the pieces didn't fit.....discovered I had put a heavier thread in the bobbin. So the scant is not an urban myth or dictated by some quilt "know it all". It is the reality of making pieces fit If other widths work for you then go for it.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:24 PM

Lightbulb 2 me a scant 1/4" is possible and oh so accurate,

I totally understand everyone's point of view. Any intricate piecing project has to be 100% accurate just like a house builder has to cut his boards perfectly. Enough or almost won't work, that is simple physics. The love of piecing is an art form and those who are okay with how their blocks turn out is how it should be.
I enter several quilts for judging which means numerous hours on the machine. I was given a seam guide many years ago and swear by it. It is called "The Tacky Seam Guide". It is repositionable and made for her mother who was blind. I love it because it is at least twice as long as the magnetic one, I can put it on my machines that are all plastic whether or not it is a top loading bobbin. My fabric rides along the side of it and I am not having to constantly stare at a mark, needle or make sure the fabric isn't sliding around the 1/4" foot. I use different feet with it and I do not have to move my needle position since many times when I turn off and on my sewing machine, I do not remember what position I had the needle in. The seam guide is thin enough I can leave it on the machine if I want to sew or piece/quilt something else. Oh, I can also remove it as it is re-position-able and the front of it is cut out to go around and in front of the widest presser foot. I love it. If I could figure how to put a picture on here I would show it to you. Everything isn't for everyone, but with this one I can sit back and sew like crazy with just the feel of my hand on the fabric an seam guide. Pretty cool. If anyone can tell me how post pictures i'd be happy to share.