Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Second guessing myself on getting a long arm. >

Second guessing myself on getting a long arm.

Second guessing myself on getting a long arm.

Old 07-28-2019, 06:54 PM

I say go for it. If u tried them out n have made it ur decision when u n hubby were going to downsize go for it. Don’t listen to those who probably r jealous
Old 07-28-2019, 07:28 PM
Power Poster

Don't let your age stop you. I have a friend older than you and she longarm quilts for hire! She's quite good.

Have you tried out different machines? You should do that before buying, to see what style suits you best. I did and found I really didn't like moving the big machine around on the carriage, over the quilt in the frame. I did love the sit down longarm, moving the fabric rather than the machine. It was much more intuitive for me. So I bought a sit down longarm (Juki 2200QVPs) and love it. It doesn't take up nearly as much space, either. They cost about half of what a frame set up costs... so that's another plus!
Old 07-28-2019, 07:55 PM
Power Poster

It really doesn't take that long to learn to use a longarm - provided you get some instruction and then practice. You don't sound like the kind of person who would be afraid to use it. Do be aware that a longarm takes up space in the home, and do test out several brands before you buy, but don't let anyone discourage you from doing what you want to do, have planned for, and can afford.
Old 07-28-2019, 10:32 PM

I've had a LA for maybe 15+ yrs. At the time of purchase, I wanted it for large quilts. Now, my shoulders and back get tired and sore. Also, arthritis and carpul/tunnel/surgery make my hands weaker. Now I'm using it a lot more, even for very small quilts. The way the machine table holds the quilt in place rests my hands. It's on a concrete floor and yes there are rubber mats to stand on. It takes a lot of space. My room is 10' x 18'. There's a small space for counters. And there's 12" deep book shelves along the long walls for stash. There's barely room to squeeze past the machine but with 8', I can manage. Since I don't plan to ever do another king/queen/double quilt again. I'd settle for 8'long table and as long a throat possible with robotics. I have way more ideas and stash than I have time to quilt. Larger quilts to go to a professional.

And yes, I'm considering upgrading even at my age. Quilting will be my hobbie as long as I'm able. And if it's only 5 yrs more (expect more) I'd rather piece/quilt than watch daytime TV.
Old 07-29-2019, 01:05 AM

I agree with everyone else, your money, your choice, maybe rent time on one first.

In my life I have had family members frown on our purchases, like when we bought the boat for skiing. That boat was a great purchase because for years our teenage daughters wanted to spend time with us on it and bring their friends! How many teenagers want to spend so much time with their parents and have so much fun doing it? Those same naysayers spent their disposable money on things we never would, never did: cigarettes, gambling on horse races, going on cruises. To each his own. Get your longarm if you want. They don't know your wants and needs better than you do.
Old 07-29-2019, 02:13 AM

It is far better to look back on life and say “I can’t believe I did that!” than to say “I wish I had done that”. Go ahead. Prove them all wrong. It’s never too late to learn.
Old 07-29-2019, 03:06 AM

I'd test drive one and if you like it buy it. Also keep in mind if you would use it enough to justify the purchase, or perhaps you would use to for extra income. In my opinion age has nothing to do with it. Anyone of us could die tomorrow of heart attack, accident, etc. I feel if you want it get it, it's your money. Plus it will keep your mind as well as your body active.
Old 07-29-2019, 03:23 AM

I say "go for it and enjoy every minute of it!!" A friend of mine and I went halves on a used longarm which resides in my house (both a blessing and a curse). We quilt for church and sometimes there's an awful lot of quilting.
Old 07-29-2019, 03:34 AM

Go for it! Walk your own path.

Do we really need to "justify" purchases for our hobby to others? I don't think boats, RV's or motorcycles have to meet the same criteria.
Old 07-29-2019, 04:16 AM

Ive had one for awhile, but have never used it. Really no desire to learn how, nor do I have the time. Will probably unload it in the future. All it does is collect dust and lint. If its your desire, go for it.