Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Second guessing myself on getting a long arm. >

Second guessing myself on getting a long arm.

Second guessing myself on getting a long arm.

Old 07-29-2019, 04:37 AM

Hi Ronda I am 72 and just upgraded to the HQ Amara with Pro Stitcher machine. It is a great machine and I never had any problems with it. These machines are easy to learn. I used Groovy Boards as I couldn't get the hang of free style quilting.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-29-2019 at 06:04 AM. Reason: remove advertising
Old 07-29-2019, 04:42 AM

I didn't know why these people think it is ok for them to make decisions for you. Your life, your decision. Taking a class seems like a great idea, no matter how old you are. And, I would talk to those people who know people who bought a LA and then didn't use it. You might be able to work out a great deal on a barely used machine. Win, win.
Old 07-29-2019, 04:47 AM

It would be a lot of work, but if you can figure out what kind you want -- not model but type -- you might find one locally that is not being used.
Old 07-29-2019, 04:52 AM

It's your money to spend as you want! Don't listen to other people, especially ones that know nothing about long arm quilting! I have a friend that bought one when she was in her 70's and her brother bought a Harley when he was 75! I have an 18" midarm that I bought and I love it. It's not very fancy but it does what I want it to. I quilt for myself and for charity. Sometimes I will quilt for a friend. But I enjoy it and that's what's important.
Old 07-29-2019, 05:03 AM

I bought mine about 5 years ago, and though I go through periods were I don't use it much (making tops) I'll then quilt of 3-4 tops in a few weeks. I know that as long as I want to make tops, I'll keep the LA for the quilting and won't buy a house that I can't make it work in. If I ever give up quilting, I'll give up the LA.

I'd suggest to get the robotics from the start. I enjoy doing FMQ, but it is a lot more work and I can only do about 2 hours of that and then need a break. However I can do 4-6 hours of robotics with no physical problems. It's really nice to get a quilt done in just a few hours with an all over robotic pattern. I bought the robotics two years after buying the machine. HQ keeps improving the software and with each update, I'm loving it more.
Old 07-29-2019, 05:27 AM

I'm 73 as well and had the opportunity to buy a used LA about 3 years ago. I'd taken a class and quilted a quilt on a LA that I rented at a shop about 10 years ago so I knew how much work I was getting myself into. Why did I buy that used LA? I love to make quilts. I don't like the FMQ that I was doing on my domestic machine and it's just too expensive to have top notch quilting done on the tops I do. I don't care for overall quilting. I like the custom, expensive stuff.

Before buying the LA, I checked to see if there was a shop close to me that I could get instructions from and help if I needed it. There's a LA shop about 40 minutes from my winter house. The machine I purchased hadn't been used for some time. The original owner died after making one quilt and then it sat. People thought I shouldn't buy that machine just because of that. But I got a great deal. The computer program was on this machine and it was a good company, Handi Quilter. I had to put some money into it for updates and such but the company was wonderful and helped me so much along with the wonderful ladies at the LA shop.

I love my LA. I only use it during the winter because I'm at our summer cabin from May til October. Some weeks I quilt a lot. Some weeks it sits unused. But, I'm not regretting that I bought it. I think you'll love one, too. Don't listen to everyone else. My hubby says, you don't regret the things you buy, you regret the things you don't buy. He's right!
Old 07-29-2019, 05:37 AM

Find a store where you can 'rent' time and try one out; if you find you really like it look into purchasing a used one; that is what I did. There was nothing at all wrong with it; the previous owner moved up to a computerized one. While those would be convenient, I like doing it myself. You can get one for maybe half what a new one costs. Good luck. I don't think you'll regret it.
Old 07-29-2019, 05:41 AM

I love the adage - "do as much as you can for as long as you can!" I'm in my sixties and plan on living by this code. Every machine I have ever bought and I have quite a few are amazing and wonderful and I have no regrets. I would not let age hold you back on this one.
Old 07-29-2019, 05:45 AM

Age is just a number. You owe it to yourself to explore and create to your fullest heart’s desires. Isn’t that what life is about?
Old 07-29-2019, 05:54 AM

Go for it you only live once, don’t save your money for your kids cause they will only spend however they want. I am 83 and I bought a handiquilter simply sixteen on a studio 2 frame last year. I love what I am doing learning free motion, ruler work and pantos. It’s your time to enjoy the rest of your life.