Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Second guessing myself on getting a long arm. >

Second guessing myself on getting a long arm.

Second guessing myself on getting a long arm.

Old 07-29-2019, 01:12 PM

If someone else has already addressed this, pardon me.
But, Having said this. It is your money.
Do you want to start a business?
Do you just want to do your own quilts?
If you start a business, will it take away time from your own quilting?
Do you do enough tops to make it worth the time, money, and learning curve?
Age should not be the determining factor.
You sound as though learning is not the issue.
Just think about all this before making this very important decision. I agree rent some time on a LA and see if you really like the process.
I presently have about 40 tops waiting to be quilted. I am retiring at the end of September and plan to rent time as well as do some on my DSM right here in my sewing space.
I turn on a movie and start quilting away. For me it would mean investing in duplicate items: TV, DVR, because my sewing space not large enough to put in a LA. Since most of my quilts are for charity, I just do simple stitching so the idea of LA does not mesh with my wants.
Just had to add my two cents (or 100 words or less)
Whatever decision you make has to be right for you.
Shalom
Old 07-29-2019, 01:22 PM

I love my longarm, it's not fancy or one of the biggest but I wouldn't trade it for anything, I have finished so many quilts. It didn't take me long at all to learn to do it, I don't do fancy just simple meandering or pantographs, but no one has ever not wanted a quilt because it didn't have fancy quilting on it!!! Your life, enjoy it!
Old 07-29-2019, 04:01 PM

You have been given a lot of good advice but I will add my 2 cents for what it is worth. Several years back the old obsolete longarm that I used died. No way to get parts as the machine was not made anymore. I quilt for myself and close friends and I do stay busy. I really agonized over my decision to replace it as I was 68 at the time. I crunched a few numbers and realized that I had to replace it because there was no way I could afford to have my quilts sent to a longarm quilter for hire. After much research I settled on an Innova mainly because of the high resale value (plus many other reasons). You can almost, if not totally get back what you paid for it if you need to sell. Innova is the most popular machine in the market right now.
Old 07-29-2019, 04:25 PM

Rhonda, reading what you wrote of yourself, I’ve no doubt in my mind you’ll make a smart, informed decision.
Old 07-29-2019, 05:41 PM

Many years ago, a letter to Ann Landers said: .... a 41-year-old man wrote and told you how he wanted to start college but was afraid of what the 18- and 19-year-old college students would say and how he would fit in. He also was concerned about not graduating until he was 45.

Ann Landers reply: "When you are 45 years old, you will be a 45-year-old with or without a college degree."

1. I say to try out different machines and see which one “feels” best to you. (I bought a Gammill because I had local service—-that is another thing I considered ).
2. If you have a store near you that rents longarm machines, take their “qualification class” and rent the machine for a few times prior to purchasing.
3. Quilt charity quilts for some practice to see if you like the machine. Don’t “practice” on your “good” quilts.
4. If you love/like it, get the machine.
5. If you are concerned about not being able to stand for any length of time, get a chair. (You can see the chair I have if you go on Linda V Taylors/Gammill’s www. The chair raises to a height you quilt while sitting.
6. My opinion (again) is to buy the biggest machine that you have room for and can afford. I know many people that have not been satisfied with the machine they bought cheap and have upgraded to a larger machine.

Good luck! And enjoy your learning process!!!

Last edited by Ellen 1; 07-29-2019 at 05:45 PM.
Old 07-29-2019, 11:17 PM

I am close to your age and we have a LA quilting business. It is hard on the body. I learned this early on so we invested in adding the Intelliquilter computerized system to our longarm. There are many new computerized options out there now and I know nothing about them. There are well over 5,000 designs out there that are only edge to edge. I enjoy selecting the right design and thread. Not so much the physical act of manipulating the machine to create the design. That takes a lot of hours of practice to create the muscle memory. Size is a consideration in choosing a set up. Do you prefer to create bed size quilts up to a king or is your joy in creating throws and table runners.

Four years ago I developed a bulging disk in my back they can do nothing for. I can no longer stand in one place for more than 10 min. My husband has always been a part of this quilting life. He monitors the machine as it stitches across the row and I provide technical support as we line up to start the next row. Having a computerized system has made it possible for me to continue to quilt.

You may be able to offset the cost if some friends pay you to quilt theirs. IQ will install on most of the major systems like APQS and Nolting etc. Highly recommend their system. All digitized quilting companies have a format compatible with it. Which is another thing to consider before purchasing... do you have to purchase designs only thru that company or does it use a format available from sites like Urban Elementz or Intelligent Quilting.

Life is short find what part of this final part of the quilting process will bring you joy. We love the creative aspect of adding thread and design to complete our own or someone else’s project. My mind goes to thinking about the quilting design before I ever stitch a block together. Others come to us because the thought of choosing a design is overwhelming. Don’t make this decision on a whim but don’t let others hold you back from what could bring joy to your life.
Old 07-30-2019, 03:39 AM

I'm in the "Go for it!" camp. You've thought this through. I re-read your original post and didn't see you mention starting a business or quilting for others to offset the expense which many addressed. I think it's just what you want to do. And you should! Two years ago I upgraded to a DSM with a large harp so I can quilt larger quilts. My DH had to practically force me to buy a Koala cabinet with lots of bells and whistles. (How could I pay twice the cost of the sewing machine for Furniture?) So happy I did. Do what's right for you

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-30-2019 at 03:41 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 07-30-2019, 07:14 AM

Do what you want with your money. If you can use it and it makes you happy, go for it! You can always sell it when you get to be really old!
Old 07-30-2019, 08:13 AM

I am 72 and just bought a sit down longarm and a Bernina 830 special edition on a frame with quilt motion. I have been busy with yard work and have not had time to learn to use them yet, but I plan on it this fall and winter. I think you can do anything you want, no matter what your age.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-30-2019 at 11:04 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 07-30-2019, 08:49 AM

go try some out if you want it get it, you have earned it