Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Second guessing myself on getting a long arm. >

Second guessing myself on getting a long arm.

Second guessing myself on getting a long arm.

Old 07-29-2019, 06:51 AM

I am overwhelmed at the response you all have given me. I absolultely agree with taking a class and using a longarm before I purchase one. I've looked at many and tried out many of them at quilt shows and have whittled the list down to 4. I am surrounded by folks who do not quilt. So they of course, do not understand my passion. You do. I came to the right place. Thank you.
Old 07-29-2019, 07:13 AM
Power Poster

Mistake number 1: Letting people know what you are planning. LOL Really it's no one's business but your DH and yours. How will you feel if you listen to the mob? There you will be a few years from now wishing you had a LA. but you don't because Maud said you didn't need one.

I would suggest you go to a shop that had a LA to rent and rent it for a few days. Even if you have to go to another town or state, it will still be worth it if you find you do not care for using one. If you love it then money well spent to not feel guilty about the purchase. Anticipation of getting something wanted big or little needs to be in everyone's life.
Old 07-29-2019, 08:00 AM

As you are looking, there's a couple of things I would suggest.

1. Make sure you get a large enough frame to do the size quilts you want to do. My frame is big enough to do a queen sized quilt but not an inch larger. It limits me sometimes.

2. My machine, being used, has some limitations. Do look for one that has true regulated stitching. Mine doesn't stop exactly when I stop. And, it races when I start. You don't want that. It's a 2008 model and things have been updated tons since then.

3. Try out several brands and get one that glides very smoothly. You want it to feel effortless.

4. Do research on the companies that will help you out when you need it and stand behind their product. Our local quilt guild bought a brand new Tin Lizzie. It's never worked properly and the company only wants to charge more and more to look at it. Check those things out.

You are in the perfect place to buy a good machine. I know that Handi Quilter is in Utah and I can vouch for them. They sure have helped me on the used machine I bought. It's 11 years old now but still does a good job for what I have in it. I'd like to buy a new one with more features but can't do that right now. But, it works well for me and I'm happy with the quilts I finish up on it.

I'm so happy for you starting on this new adventure. There's a learning curve!! Can't wait to see what you decide on.
Old 07-29-2019, 08:05 AM

I had always said I wanted a longarm before I retired but have since changed my mind. Instead I found a place where I can rent time on one. This way I don't have a machine sitting at home that I would feel guilty about not using when considering the investment of money and space. Also they have the time and expense of repairs etc. So that is what my research led me to but I only do quilts for gifts etc. and am not wanting a second career of quilting once I retire.
Old 07-29-2019, 08:24 AM

Mistake number 1: Letting people know what you are planning.
So true. I bought a very expensive Gammill LA set up, computer and all. I used it for about two years and discovered I liked a sit down quilting machine much better. I sold the LA and bought the Juki sit down. I didn't discuss what I did with anyone other then DH. We don't stress over should we or not, if it's in the budget go for it. Relatives and friends asked when they came over Didn't you have a big machine set up here? I said yes but I sold it and got another one I wanted.
Old 07-29-2019, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by cathyvv View Post
Looking forward, I expect that in 5 or so years I will not be able to stand at the long arm anymore. But it's 5 more years of doing what I like to do. And, with luck, I will find a way to continue
There are ways to make the process more user friendly. I got a zipper system that allows youto sit whe you attach the quilt to the leaders
wth safety pins.
Saves your legs (and pin pricks from the long, sharp straight pins.) You can us floor mats to ease fatigue in your legs as you quilt. You can set a timer to control how long you stand working. With some adjustments you should be able to quilt for a long time. Go for it!
Old 07-29-2019, 08:31 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
​I think I would rent some time to do a couple of full size quilts to see how your body feels. If everything goes well, then go for it!
good answer, good answer!
My mom is 82 years old and although she isn't wanting a long arm bc she is
losing her sight, I have told her "you can't take it with you" and to have fun.
So she bought some quilting toys, (yes she still quilts by "feeling" and she
enjoys it.)
I think you were ready before the naysayers got involved.
Yes, it's a big purchase but if it's going to give you joy then it's not up to
them. Even if it doesn't bring you all the joy you want, it's still not up to them.
You can always resell.
I'm having to resell my sewing room for a very good family reason.
I made peace with it but it brought me a lot of happy hours while I was
using it.
You certainly sound capable of learning it. Good luck and bless you .
Old 07-29-2019, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by luvrazz View Post
Go for it you only live once, don’t save your money for your kids cause they will only spend however they want.
This is an excellent point. My grandmother turned 93 this year. When my grandpa passed, he left her very comfortably through a life of hard work and investing. She almost refuses to spend money on things for herself. When my mother and I encourage her to do as she likes, she says that the money is for the kids. It makes me sad because she could be enjoying so many more things.

I agree with the others. It’s your money to do with as you please.
Old 07-29-2019, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
Any time I need to make a big decision like this, I sit back and think "Am I going to reget doing this?" or "Am I going to regret not doing this?" After a day or two the answer is crystal clear to me.
I think this is a good answer and there will always be pros and cons on your decision. It is your money and your ambition to own a longarm. I myself have no desire to own a longarm-I don't have the room and they are a big expense. I just like getting a quilt done and giving it to my long arm person and start on another quilt. Wishing you good luck on your decision.
Old 07-29-2019, 10:44 AM

when I was 70 I got my self a long arm, I had it all set up in my quilting room, it made me happy just to look at and know when I needed it, it was there, long story short, I never got it loaded with a quilt, or even a practice piece , when my sister came to visit me just after my hubby passed on I gave it to her, and she took it home with her to Ga. she uses it, and that makes me happy, I do smaller quilts now and if I do a larger one I can send to her to quilt for me. I say go for it if it makes you happy, you earned it.