Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing Machine Reviews >

Sewing Machine Reviews

Sewing Machine Reviews

Old 08-13-2010, 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by Candace
I think 50% of the issues people have are because these machines are so advanced and they've not taken any classes to learn how to operate them. Yes, there are machines that come out of the box with problems, but I think education is key.
I would have to agree. Most people are intimated by the cost of the machine and by the mass functions of the machine. Because the machines are very pricy, you are less apt to dive right in and explore all the capabilities of the machine for fear of something breaking. Most shops offer instructual classes when you purchase a machine. I own Janome 6600 and love it, the Brother Innovis 4000 and love it, and a Singer Quantrum and love it. I do prefer the Janome 6600, just because it has more features to spoil me with, but, yes education is the key to using your machines, or lose the fear to explore your machine. Good Luck!
Old 08-13-2010, 09:19 AM

I have had a Rose 605 viking for 10 years with no problem.
Also Designer 2 viking for 6 years with no problem.
A 905 Serger viking for 3 yrs with no problem.
A EuroPro 9106 for 6 years with no problem.
dreamboat
Old 08-13-2010, 09:26 AM

Location: Currently Mosquito (which is outside of Placerville) California

I have a 50 year old New Home, a 4 year old Janome 4900QC, a White and a Riccar....The New Home/Janome's are by far my favorite....saving for a 6600 now. With the Janome the only problem I have ever had was a PEBCASM (problem exists between chair and sewing machine) LOL.

One thing to consider is where you buy your machine. Don't buy it online, please. Go to a reputable dealer and talk to their service department in addition to the sales person. Ask about warranty returns, service charges, whether or not they are willing to help you over the phone, etc. Having access to knowledgeable, helpful and friendly service is one of the most critical components to being happy and successful with your machine. Good luck and happy sewing/quilting!
Old 08-15-2010, 06:06 AM
Banned

I had the Janome 6600, and I recently upgraded to the Horizon.

I loved them both, but I really needed the free arm feature to sew garments.

I think with any machine, it is up to the buyer to grab some practice fabric and physically do every feature of the machine that is listed in the manual, before going back to the dealer.
Old 09-08-2010, 04:48 AM

I just purchased a Babylock Ellisimo and absolutely love it! The only issue I have had is not with the machine but with the dealer. I purchased from them because they were offering it for a really good price but their support is way less than satisfactory! This is my first Babylock and the features are incredible.

However for regular sewing, you CANNOT beat a Janome INHO. I had a New Home for 20 years before upgrading to a newer Janome. They are built like tanks. My favorite is the 6500 (really really dislike the 6600).

I have also had a Pfaff (loved the IDT) and a Brother.

If I could afford it and had the room, I would have my Babylock for embroidery and free arm sewing, a Janome 6500 for regular sewing and a HQ 16 or Sunshine 16 for sit down quilting. Oh, and a Babylock Evolution or Janome Compulock serger. Such a dreamer!
Old 09-08-2010, 04:55 AM

New Home is Janome.
Old 09-08-2010, 05:40 AM

New Home was a company started in 1860 and in 1960 was purchased by Janome.

Here is a link to an article about the founding of New Home:

http://www.ismacs.net/newhome/the_me...a_history.html