Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
she won't use the quilt >

she won't use the quilt

she won't use the quilt

Old 07-07-2010, 05:03 PM

I have a similar problem with the one I made for my GD for Christmas. The "right" side is an I Spy with 157 different blocks. She just turned 7. It is on her bed, but with the backing side up. I never asked why. But if I wanted her to have a solid colored quilt I would not have gone to all of the trouble to piece all of those blocks together, not to mention the time it took to select the fabrics and cut them. Oh well, at least they can't say I never made her a quilt.
Old 07-08-2010, 02:19 AM

I made a friend an "Elvis" quilt, for her birthday..she cried and called me no less than 5 times, to thank me..! lol!
I asked her husband once, if he was jealous that mary was snuggling with Elvis..and he said..it hangs over a rocking chair in the living room..and no one is allowed to touch it! ROFL!
i meant for her to use it..but she prefers Elvis just sitting where she can see it! to each thier own!

Elvis Quilt for Mary
[ATTACH=CONFIG]81152[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-81147.jpe  
Old 07-08-2010, 03:18 AM

My girlfriend made a quilt for a friends new baby. When she went to visit the mom and baby she found the quilt.......in the dogs bed. Her feelings were really hurt. I felt badly for her. I have given away most of my quilts to family members. I have two right now and will keep a couple more. I am making quilts for my sisters family. She has hers and two of her grandchildren have theirs. I have one more to make for her other grandaughter and then one for each of her sons. Each of my children have one and my grandson has two and my step grandaughter has one. That is it for me. Want to make some for different organization too.
Old 07-08-2010, 03:27 AM

I dont think that she hasnt put it out because she dosnt like it, I think its because she loves it, knows how hard you worked on it, and does not want anything to get spilled, or anything else to happen to it. My quilts seem to walk out the door when ever my mom & sister came over. When I went to their homes, I didnt see them, and asked where my run a way quilts went. They told me they put them up so no one else would use them. When they did take them out, they thought of me, it was kind of a personal thing for them, and they didnt want to share them. Try not to get your feelings hurt, I know she loves her quilts. :-D
Old 07-08-2010, 03:27 AM

I know there are people who don't like to use quilts for fear of ruining them. When I give a quilt to someone I attach a card that says that quilts can be used in so many ways like a wall hanging, as a throw, on a bed, or on a shelf, etc. Then I add that no matter how they use the quilt, they should know that it was made with lots of love for them. Some quilts I have seen again and some have "disappeared" from sight. To each his own, I guess.
Old 07-08-2010, 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by sunflower126
I have a similar problem with the one I made for my GD for Christmas. The "right" side is an I Spy with 157 different blocks. She just turned 7. It is on her bed, but with the backing side up. I never asked why. But if I wanted her to have a solid colored quilt I would not have gone to all of the trouble to piece all of those blocks together, not to mention the time it took to select the fabrics and cut them. Oh well, at least they can't say I never made her a quilt.
I made my son something like that when he was 5, he would make his bed, and put the back side up, like your DGD. When I gently told him it was on his bed the wrong way he said "but momma, when I go to bed, I pull the covers over my head and talk to the dinosaurs!". He also kept a flash light next to him at night, so he would look at them when we were asleep!
Old 07-08-2010, 04:02 AM

I made one for my Dad with all the kids, GK and GGK handprints
appliqued on it I made it out of flannel because he was always cold . I made it just the right size for his wheelchair. I made it sturdy enough to be washed repeatedly . Well my stepmom sent it back to me and it had never been used.I was upset to say the least. The whole point was so he would have everyones hands around him in his last days.
My brother wants it. I just have to figure out a way to add the kids that have been born since them.
Old 07-08-2010, 04:08 AM
Power Poster

I think she is just saving it too! My Grandma is like that too, puts her Pretty stuff in the closet!
Old 07-08-2010, 04:17 AM

Oh I know she was but darn . I told her how to wash it and everything . I would have loved to seen it washed at least once.
Funny story. Years ago when my Dad was still working she would get up and make him coffee every morning at 3 or 4 AM she didn't need to get up that early so I bought her a coffee pot that had a timer on it. Went to her house and it was still in the box after 3 years. Why? Because the old percolator still worked fine!!! I took it out of the box set it up and confiscated the old one. lol
Old 07-08-2010, 04:34 AM

After reading your story I just had to share. My neice got married in January. A lady, friend of the family forever, gave my niece and her husband a scrap quilt at their wedding shower. About a month ago my niece was saying she needed something in her living room with drawers in it so she could store the quilt so it would by handy in the winter to use when sitting and watching tv. We told her to display it on her sofa or back of a chair. She told us no way it was to ugly. I was so upset, but managed to keep my mouth shut. Didn't want to start a family fuss.