Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
she won't use the quilt >

she won't use the quilt

she won't use the quilt

Old 07-08-2010, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Lori S
Everyone tells me that it is because they do not want it to get ruined, or they say its because it is too precious for use!
I try to explain that I intended for it to be "consumed" in my lifetime, and not left for someone who may never have known me or the person I made it ..to "consume" it possibly in the bottom of a dog bed or covering something in the garage. Once I explain it that way .. I see more of them being used.
Oh I am hearing ya girlfriend! I made my grandson an Escher-esc butterfly quilt, hand pieced, hand quilted.... The DIL hung it on the wall... I was visiting this last year and he asked to use it. I gave it to him and told him to use it up. drag it around, love it..... I would rather it be tattered to shreds than die hanging on the wall....I may have to start giving out my quilts with "regulations"
Ellen
Old 07-08-2010, 06:04 PM

I made a baby quilt for a nice lady who does my Physical Therapy. I told her to use it. I am back to see her again and she says she does use it but when her husband saw it, told her not to put it on the floor. I want them to use the quilt. I made one for my nephew more than 20 years ago. She said it is about a 10" square. I believe they are to be used. I am glad he has taken so much comfort in his now 10" square.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:54 PM

Personally, and I could be wrong, but I think it may have something to do with living thru the Depression. My grandmother and mother-in-law were like that. For some reason they kept things for "later" but later never came. The everyday things were alright, but the really nice things were put away.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:28 PM

The first quilt I ever completed, which being new was in this last march, was given to my step-dad for his 60th birthday. He loves it very much, but according to my mother will not use it. He rearranged the living room to be able to display the quilt on a quilt rack specially bought for the quilt, but he never has actually used the quilt. I just take it that he loves it, so he can do what he wants with it.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:43 PM

I had a similar experience. I made my mother-in-law an afghan and she said she loved it but whenever we went to visit it was always put away. She lived on a farm and I found out years later that she was so afraid she would ruin it by washing it that she kept it under wraps. She actually really treasured it and was afraid to use it for fear of ruining it. I believe that happens a lot with older people as with their generation nice things were a lot harder to come by. In the end she gave it to my daughter who now treasures it.
Old 07-09-2010, 09:24 AM

mlaceruby I love your avatar. It is beautiful. I hope it was a joy to make. So far my quilts are being used. Most of them have gone to the hospital in the childrens section. The ones I given for gifts are being used and abused.
K
Old 07-09-2010, 10:22 AM

I designed and made a 50th anniversay quilt for my folks. It only went on their bed when company came or when Mom wanted to show it off. Daddy was an afternoon napper, and she was afraid he'd ruin it. I once said, he could just fold it back, but that didn't seem to help. The other reason - 'It's too warm for Arizona.' Well, just take it off at night. I think the REAL reason she didn't use the quilt was that she was a child of the Depression - and I understood that.

So, we use it in the same house when we're there in the winter. AZ winter nights are NOT too warm for a quilt! Sometimes I have to use my electric blanket, too. And I know mom did. It was just like when we found all the unused new pillowcases, sheets, embroidered dresser scarves (does anyone remember them?), etc in Grandma's dresser when she passed away. I found the same items in Mom's dresser.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:23 AM

I designed and made a 50th anniversay quilt for my folks. It only went on their bed when company came or when Mom wanted to show it off. Daddy was an afternoon napper, and she was afraid he'd ruin it. I once said, he could just fold it back, but that didn't seem to help. The other reason - 'It's too warm for Arizona.' Well, just take it off at night. I think the REAL reason she didn't use the quilt was that she was a child of the Depression - and I understood that.

So, we use it in the same house when we're there in the winter. AZ winter nights are NOT too warm for a quilt! Sometimes I have to use my electric blanket, too. And I know mom did. It was just like when we found all the unused new pillowcases, sheets, embroidered dresser scarves (does anyone remember them?), etc in Grandma's dresser when she passed away. I found the same items in Mom's dresser.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:29 AM

Well... here's a workaround..... quilts for "Moms" dont all have to be BEDSPREAD size.

Throw size... 40x50, 50x50, 50x60, 50x70, they all work. Make one, make two. make three or four or five. (One queensize BEDspread makes four of this size quilt already! ) She takes the extra care of the first quilt as she wants to have it forever...see how long having two, or three, or four, or five.....or more... see how long it takes before it seems like OK to have them folded on the foot of the bed. Folded on the couch. Folded on the armchair... where it can be whipped open and tossed on her lap or yours or someone visiting.... its a thought.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:34 AM

There is nothing wrong with Quilt Art hanging on the Wall. You may think of it squished up touchy-feely as the ONLY way to enjoy it... but its a custom in the United States to hang all kinds of things on the wall to admire. A quilt is not excluded from being "admired" as a form of using and loving.