Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
she won't use the quilt >

she won't use the quilt

she won't use the quilt

Old 07-08-2010, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by Patched
After reading your story I just had to share. My neice got married in January. A lady, friend of the family forever, gave my niece and her husband a scrap quilt at their wedding shower. About a month ago my niece was saying she needed something in her living room with drawers in it so she could store the quilt so it would by handy in the winter to use when sitting and watching tv. We told her to display it on her sofa or back of a chair. She told us no way it was to ugly. I was so upset, but managed to keep my mouth shut. Didn't want to start a family fuss.
When I got married the first time, one of my mother's friends gave us a crocheted throw blanket - it used (what I thought at the time) every color that ever existed in yarn form (some actually hurt my eyes). It didn't go with anything I had in my house and was in the top 5 ugliest gifts we received. Well, the marriage dissolved almost 30 years ago, and I still have that throw. It's kept me warm in my car when my heater stopped working, been part of my camping bedding, and a general "utility blanket" since I got it in 1978! I think it's currently in the pile of throws we keep in the living room for the winter, or in my daughter's room. I've used it hard, and washed it a million times, and the colors (even the ugly ones) haven't faded a bit, and it's still in the same shape it was in when I got it. And I hope my mother's friend intended me to use the heck out of it, because I have.
Old 07-08-2010, 06:45 AM

Your Mom knows how much time and effort you put into those quilts. It sounds like she respects that and doesn't want anything to happen to them. What a sweet soul. Give her a hug for me.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by quiltinghere
Perhaps your mom is of the AGE of the depression and they save everything...

It's not like she doesn't like it - she just doesn't want to use it and 'ruin it' - she wants to 'save it'.
That's they way my mom was, too. "Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without!" was her motto. If she had a nightgown that was still holding together, she wouldn't use the new one we got her. Until she had Alzheimer's. Then we pulled out all the stuff she was 'saving' and used it - but unfortunately it was too late for her to know she was using nice things; so sad.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:40 AM

I feel the same way...I made a quilt for my mom and told her to send me examples of the colors of her living room. What she did was send me pictures instead. So...I based the colors off of what the pictures looked like. I took a class to make a quilt "Looking Through The Windows", it was a lot larger then I thought. I gave it to her for her B-day and when I asked her if she liked it and the colors where okay. She told me the colors where off and it was okay. That really hurt my feelings. That's why my Dad has 4 quilts from me and am working on a 5th one.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:42 AM

I have the opposite problem with the quilt I made for my son (my avatar). It took 2 years in the design and making process and gave it to him 2 years ago at Christmas. I was hoping to show it during the summer months (hoping for a prize) but he won't part with it. Sleeps with it every night - hot or cold. By the way, he's 25.

It makes me feel so special knowing he loves his quilt so much.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:17 AM

She is in awe of you making something so beautiful and does not want to do anything to "hurt" it. When someone gives me something hand made, I can really feel the time and love that went in to it and at times I don't feel worthy of it. I in no way intend to hurt anyone's feelings. I now know that when people give something to you they intend for you to enjoy it.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:40 AM

I always ask before I make the quilt. Often the person has a preference for color or design. If they say they would love a quilt I tell them what I can make. They give me some ideas and I go from there. So far everyone has loved their gifts.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:51 AM
Power Poster

Variety is the spice of life. They know and appreciate the fact that you made them for them to use or hide. Who can figure. It is the appreciation that counts.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:51 AM
Power Poster

Variety is the spice of life. They know and appreciate the fact that you made them for them to use or hide. Who can figure. It is the appreciation that counts.
Old 07-08-2010, 03:15 PM

I agree with all who say quilts should be used and it bothers me, too, to see the stack of quilts in their plastic bags in my 95 yr old mother's closet. I made them deliberately to stand wear-and-tear.

But think of all the vintage and antique quilts we would not be able to see and enjoy in museums or collect for ourselves if everyone had used up their quilts! Because people put their best quilts away to "save," we have the opportunity to study and own them now (and wrap them in archival tissue or display them behind UV proof glass....)