Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
she won't use the quilt >

she won't use the quilt

she won't use the quilt

Old 07-09-2010, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by quiltilicious
I slaved over a drunkard's path for my MIL for Xmas a few years ago - she also refuses to put it on the bed - but since FIL has a very serious incontinence problem, I can't blame her!
As a nurse....I totally understand!
Old 07-09-2010, 06:56 PM

It took me over 3 years to make my first all needle turn applique quilt for my mum--all 17 blocks. Mum wont put it on the bed because her little dogs claws might catch some of the applique, so it is folded up in her cupboard and now she is very sick with her heart I will probably get it back and store it in My cupboard. I can't put the wall as I live next to the highway and boy the dust in this house is bad. so your mum is not the only one who will not use her quilted gift made with love.
Old 07-09-2010, 06:59 PM

It took me over 3 years to make my first all needle turn applique quilt for my mum--all 17 blocks. Mum wont put it on the bed because her little dogs claws might catch some of the applique, so it is folded up in her cupboard and now she is very sick with her heart I will probably get it back and store it in My cupboard. I can't put the wall as I live next to the highway and boy the dust in this house is bad. so your mum is not the only one who will not use her quilted gift made with love.
Old 07-10-2010, 12:16 PM

I love to see quilts being used. My MIL never used anything.
She had all types of excuses. Dead and gone and all the nice stuff is being used by someone else . Once I gave mom brown checked dish towels as she had rusty water. She used them as i told her that was why I got brown.
Different strokes for different folks
Old 07-14-2010, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by dkabasketlady
I'm glad my DM isn't like that. Yes, my DM quilts too, in fact she's the one that got me ADDICTED. I made a special quilt for her and she proudly has it on the bed every day. She also has a dear friend that threatens to "steal" , I mean "borrow" the quilt when they're back up north for the summers,lol!!! They have each others house keys and at least she'd know where it was.
Are you my sister? Mom has made quilts for all the kids and grandkids--at least 2 each, some have 3. Then she has 2-3 for each bed in her house and in her summer house. She rotates them all the time. Recently she had us put names on them for when she is gone (she is 84) and she was so suprised when her youngest GD asked for a wall hanging at the summer place that she could only have seen once about 10 years ago (she is now 23.) I said, well, darn I wanted that! Luckily for me my SIL didn't know the exact rules of the game and thought some things were off limits...........
Mom was not too happy with me when I cut my first quilt from here in half and made them into window shades but I have my newest quilt from her on my bed (her old antique 4 poster) and the older worn out quilt on the windows. It is beautiful and I love my room! She also made the cat pillows.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-77186.jpe  
Old 07-14-2010, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by merryhare
Originally Posted by dkabasketlady
I'm glad my DM isn't like that. Yes, my DM quilts too, in fact she's the one that got me ADDICTED. I made a special quilt for her and she proudly has it on the bed every day. She also has a dear friend that threatens to "steal" , I mean "borrow" the quilt when they're back up north for the summers,lol!!! They have each others house keys and at least she'd know where it was.
Are you my sister? Mom has made quilts for all the kids and grandkids--at least 2 each, some have 3. Then she has 2-3 for each bed in her house and in her summer house. She rotates them all the time. Recently she had us put names on them for when she is gone (she is 84) and she was so suprised when her youngest GD asked for a wall hanging at the summer place that she could only have seen once about 10 years ago (she is now 23.) I said, well, darn I wanted that! Luckily for me my SIL didn't know the exact rules of the game and thought some things were off limits...........
Mom was not too happy with me when I cut my first quilt from here in half and made them into window shades but I have my newest quilt from her on my bed (her old antique 4 poster) and the older worn out quilt on the windows. It is beautiful and I love my room! She also made the cat pillows.
I love that look of having the quilt for window shades!
Old 07-14-2010, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by DJ
My joy is in the making/giving. It's up to the recipient to get their own joy in recieiving/using/storing/whatever. It can be disappointing if it's not used the way you intended, but that's just the glory of our differences.
I so agree with you. I love to make them and then give them and once I give them away what others to with them is their choice. I feel good when I give them to someone and if they don't use them that is their choice. I know it's tough to understand but when we give gifts whether it's something we made or bought you never know what the recipient is going to do with it and really we can't control that. I've learned in my life to that I can't control anyone else and I can only control me and my actions. It helps me from getting too frusterated.

My husband passed away about 14 months ago, I'm a young widow and I've really learned what matters and what doensn't. I guess our life lessons do either mellow us out or make us crazy. Sometimes, I wonder if I'm mellowing out or going crazy?

Just my two cents.
Old 07-14-2010, 06:20 AM

Live for today, for tomorrow is not promised to anyone..

I try to live by this statement, but it's not always easy to do. You never know just how precious something is until you don't have it anymore.
Old 07-14-2010, 02:11 PM

I love the cushions on your bed. Do you have the pattern for it? I am a cat person more than dog and would love to make it and have several scattered around the spare room,lounge and my bedroom.
Can I get a copy of the pattern please or where can I get it via email as I am in Australia
Old 07-14-2010, 06:44 PM

lets face it. Not everyone will use what we give for a gift.
We might like it, but that does not mean we will use it.
Lots of time or just money spent does not dictate how a gift will be used. We all have things we put away and never use. We only have room for so much. If you are having feelings about how a gift will be shoved aside, give money or just give the quilt and forget and hope you do not see it laying in the trash. My cat has a few that we let her lay on to keep hair off furniture. She does not tear them up and if I give one away that is used for a dog, so be it.