Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Signing on wedding quilt >

Signing on wedding quilt

Signing on wedding quilt

Old 04-11-2011, 03:40 PM

Pigma pens are the best and as PP have said, wash fabric first and make sure to heat set the ink. Instead of wax paper, I used a few pieces of masking tape on the back of each block to stablize the fabric and it worked well.
Old 07-15-2012, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by JJean View Post
The finer grain the fabric the less bleed you have from the pen and it's easier to write with a flowing hand. I learned this from making quilt labels. I use a fine point Sharpie pen and then heat set with my iron.
How would you 'heat set' the sharpie on the Fabric? I'm still new at quilting, and How would i attach the freezer paper to the fabric to hold it still while signing the quilt..Thanks so very much for any help.. Norma in SC
Old 07-15-2012, 07:29 PM

The micron pigma pens are hard to write with for those not used to them.

I did a wedding quilt for my sister last year. I bought every pen I could find and did many wash tests. I found my favorites at Hobby Lobby. They are Pentel roller gel pens for fabric (red, black, blue). I put freezer paper on the back of the blocks and it was almost just like writing on paper. amazing. I set the ink with a warm iron and it did not fade at all when washed. The lines were fine enough that guests could write whatever they wanted. And, being a little bolder than the lines from the micron pens, they are easier to read.

Good luck!
Suze
Old 08-03-2012, 12:08 PM

And it helps to keep them out of the seam allowance if you make a cardboard template to just place over the block before they start to write. We quilters would know that, but non sewers don't have that perspective.