Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Soooooo Frustrated

Don't you hate when the baby comes back worse thaqn when you brought it in????? I hope the shop stands behind their work.

Awww. I am sorry that happened. I sure hope it gets fixed quickly so you can get some sewing done! Meg

UGH... sympathies with you!!! At this point, I'd be really concerned about their expertise. As suggested, I would definitely check the machine out before leaving. As a matter of fact... I think that is something we should all do from here on... I know I will.

Good luck to you!!!

Gee whiz, what shop did you use? I want to make sure I don't end up there!

Like sewnsewer2 don't leave the shop until you try it or they sew on it for you. If it wasn't making noise before it shouldn't be now. Don't leave until it is run. Also when you bring it back have them try it right then!!!!

Blog Entries
    Let us know how it goes. I hope it nothing too serious.

I just responded to someone asking about new machines and brought up this issue of service. Sadly we did not ask around before taking the machine we bought for our daughter to the only Pfaff shop in town. We ended up in a huge battle of it not only being serviced but further problems. The shop owner did everything she could to come off smelling like a rose. Even the officer who was called when she pulled a desperate stunt ordered me to leave and refused to address the issue was taken back by her 911 call of being in physical danger by a threatening customer. His first statement was file complaints with the BBB, tell everyone you know who sews and do what you need to. In other words (as we stood outside her shop) he was saying indirectly- you're not the first. Turns out there are a lot of others and none of them have felt they could combat this. Don't be a whimp- hold them to the task and demand they either do a full service and repairs with refund or pay for you to have it serviced elsewhere. Ask around before going to a repair shop. Look for one who is willing to charge a minimal bench fee for looking at the machine but not a full service fee for doing nothing. Talk directy to the people servicing your machine- not the owner with some ghost repair person who only is available when no one is around. We refurbish vintage machines for our own use, donation and resale so we have gotten to know who around is someone we refer to or not for someone just wanting their personal machine serviced- we have no interest in cutting in on their business and gladly refer to those who are honorable. They even will refer to each other when they feel the other can help better.

This sounds familiar! I have a Janome as well, and LOVE it--but it kept making weird noises and refusing to sew, even right after I had just retrieved it from the shop. I found that if I will completely re-thread the upper thread it will sew smoothly again. I did take it back to the shop again to have the needle threader aligned and the thread cutter adjusted. They cleaned and oiled it and said that the timing had needed adjusting. It's doing beautifully now, so that must have fixed it! :-)

Very frustrating indeed.

Hi Diane. What kind of warranty comes with the repair? Is your machine still under warranty? At the Machine Sales shop that I work in, the new machines come with a 3 year parts and labour warranty. The used trade ins come with a one year warranty. If your machine has no warranty and you have had a tune-up, $74.95 Canadian, then the machine is warrantied for one year. It's a win win situation. Check out all the warranties with the repair you have had done. Does the shop only warranty the "Repair Only" for a year????? Or do they even warranty the repair??? I wouldn't take my machine out of the shop until you have tried it out. Also you have to watch that the needle that you have in your machine isn't too small. A regular needle threader won't go through a size 68 needle. Not too sure what that is in imperial measurements. Probably not smaller than an 11. And also you have to make sure your needle in in the full upper position otherwise the needle threader won't be in the proper position to thread the needle. Hope this has been helpful. Auntie B in Saskatchewan.

Quote Originally Posted by newestnana
    Quote Originally Posted by Roberta
    I had the exact same problem with my Janome. It worked just fine when I took it to the shop for a cleaning. When I got it home I just put it on the table and continued to use my FW. When I finally took it out to sew again it made horrible cluncking noises and then started skipping stitches. It's in a different shop this time for repair but I'm angry that I had to spend $90 for "cleaning" plus they messed up the bobbin holder so I had to purchase another of those as well, $35 at their shop. If I had just taken it out and sewn when I got it home I could have taken in back then but they insist they did everything right and I must have "damaged" it at home. :evil:
    I'll be very interested in what fixes the skipping stitches thing.
    Sometimes skipping stitches can be solved very easily by changing the thread that you are using or by changing the needle but if those don't work and "IF YOUR MACHINE IS ONE THAT REQUIRES OILING" then oil it because a dry machine will skip stitches as will one that needs the timing adjusted. As far as the original problem stated it sounds as if perhaps the take up lever was perhaps slightly bent (causing noise as it hits on the inside of the machine) or when the needle was lowered to start sewing with "the needle threader not in the right position" you may have thrown the timing off. Hope this helps in diagnosing your machine.

My prayers are with you too and your machine!!

Is it possible that the machine could have accidentally been switched with another identical machine at the shop?

I write my name on the bottom of all my machines.
    They happen to be plastic, so I use a permanent marker.

For metal machines, you could use a dull needle to scratch your name somewhere on the bottom.

I also wrote my name on the side of my ott light, so it can easily be seen, to prevent mixups in classes.

Quote Originally Posted by jpthequilter
    Is it possible that the machine could have accidentally been switched with another identical machine at the shop?...write your name on it.
    Good suggestion. I have several machines & would hate to wonder if I may have gotten someone else's machine back. This is more likely with newer machines, as they are probably more of those regularly brought in.

I feel for you and yes there are always greater problems in the world but you still have every right to be upset. You've gotten some good advice about trying it out before you leave the shop. Take your time in doing so, change the stitches and settings while you're there. Good luck with this.

i hate it when my sewing machine is not working well....good luck with all tommorrow....

Have had similar things happen to me, but good that you are taking it in to be fixed. Trying to sew with that kind of problem can damage your machine if something is really off.

Here's hoping they correct it soon and you are back to some fun sewing and quilting.

Blog Entries
    Sorry about the sewing machine. Hey, I don't know if you're interested in basketball or not, but MY Sacramento Kings may become the Annaheim Royals. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: I will be pretty sad if that happens, but I will have more time for sewing.... ;)

I feel your pain. Wonder why they didn't check it out before they gave it back to you?

Quote Originally Posted by jpthequilter
    Is it possible that the machine could have accidentally been switched with another identical machine at the shop?

I write my name on the bottom of all my machines.
    They happen to be plastic, so I use a permanent marker.

For metal machines, you could use a dull needle to scratch your name somewhere on the bottom.

I also wrote my name on the side of my ott light, so it can easily be seen, to prevent mixups in classes.
    There should be no reason that your machine could be switched at repairs although I have seen or heard of it happening but all machines have serial numbers on them. All good shops will note the serial number of your machine on the repair ticket when you drop it off. More likely you may have taken it to someone who says they can fix all machine brands and models and may not be certified to repair or fix your machine. I always ask the repair tech this question "are you certified to repair this machine?" If they respond with anything other than yes I am certified I run not walk out with my machine.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3