Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Special quilting thread for "lefties"?

I'm a lefty and it is hard at times because it is a right handed world. But come on left handed thread. Hahaha
    may you be in heaven before the devil knows your dead!
    Liz

I'm glad I can use either hand. I write with my left hand and use my scissors in my right. Can use my rotary in either. When I first started in school, I did everything left handed and the teacher tried to make me use my right. My mother, being left handed, jumped right in the middle of that lady. But I ended up using either hand and have the worst handwriting in the world. LOL
    You can get older, but you never have to grow up! Tomorrow's just a future yesterday!-Greg Fergerson

Thanks for the link. I have the Fiskars I bought at Walmart currently and it seems to be working fine. But I'll keep the link as a favorite for the lefty-scissors. They really do make a difference!

Wow thought I had heard all the "lefty" stories - this one is great! I may be left handed but do everything the right handed way.
    Quilting makes me happy!..

What will they think of next?!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

I'm left handed and have never used any special equipment, even scissors (when I was learning to cut with scissors left handed ones weren't around.) Can't believe I have been missing out all these years :O

That's a new one. I do know about thread twist, but not specifically for us left-handers. There are left handed scissors - I have a Gingher, but most of mine are universal. I use Olfa rotary cutters and change the blade to the other side. Everything else is the same.

Blog Entries
    I do need left handed scissors, though I can't cut with true LH scissors, and I do need a LH iron - one with the cord on the left or in the back center. If the cord comes off the right side, I iron the cord too often. But thread????????

Blog Entries
    Thread: Which end of the thread to thread the needle with.....

I figured out some time back, that two Very Very Famous Quilters always mention to *thread the needle with the leading end of the thread as it comes from the spool, and I thought they were saying the same thing, for a couple years, until I noticed one of them said to *tie the knot in the end of the thread you poked thru the needle*, and the other Very Famous Quilter said *to make sure the end you poked thru the needle dangles, and the knot goes in the other end LOLOL Now, I have also heard that some large cones of thread sometimes DO get rewound onto smaller spools, which would reverse the leading end.. so the end advice, I think, is, to pay attention to which end you poked thru the eye and which end you tied the knot with, and if it tangles a lot, try doing it the opposite way, for THAT spool....

Yes I have heard of Z twist and S twist but have never encountered anyone who thought one was meant for right handed people and one for left handed... hehe

Maybe she could sell left-handed chopsticks as a sideline? I recently won the Olfa self loading rotary cutter and it has protection slide for left or right handers. I think a left handed machine would be a great idea really. I'm right handed but I think most left handed people are rather dexterious -- the hand crank and buttons and all are all on the right on machines.
    :-)
    CAS

I my be left handed, but I'm in my RIGHT mind....LOL I want some of that thread! I'll bet it makes better 1/4" SEAMS.

Years ago, maybe 30 or so, there was a problem with Swiss Metrosene thread which did, in fact, have a left twist which caused the thread to twist and knot. The company diagnosed the problem and corrected it so that the twist was from the right (as told to me by a quilt teacher.) I, too, believe the LQS owner is mistaken.

Oh this is funny! Thanks for the laugh.

here I sit, mouth dropped open, with the ridiculousness of the LQS owner's statement!! lmbo!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by luana View Post
    This the only left-handed item I know about.
    http://www.leftyslefthanded.com/Left...r_p/605793.htm
    I have heard of scissors for lefties, but thread??

I have a left handed hair brush if she wants to buy it. It has a comb to match! LOLOL

Quote Originally Posted by Mom3 View Post
    ... What your sister's LQS said is, in my mind, equivalent to saying a lefty needs a left handed iron. Pooh! An iron is an iron. ...

LOL

Shari
    Yes, but not too long ago there were irons that were designed so that you could make the cord go out either from the left or the right as needed. These days they've gotten more clever and have it exit center back, at least on the one I happen to have in view. Oddly, I have a hand mixer that has the cord come out on the left, which is not so handy for me. I solved the problem by threading it through the handle to the right, and I guess the same could be done with an iron, but I'm pretty sure that if my iron was like that it would bug me. The first few inches of the cord on the older irons were supported with a firm rubber tube to help prevent the cord from going under the iron.

The twist on the thread will alter the tendency of the thread to kink and knot while you're hand sewing, and intuitively I think I can see where the idea came from that a lefty would need a different twist, but it's surely bunk. If you consider that you can hand sew in either direction just by turning the fabric, there's no way the thread could be any different no matter who is propelling it.

I am left handed, and I have left-handed scissors. Left-handed thread? I think it's just a running joke between the two women who are left handed. If something doesn't come out quite right, they kid with each other it's because we
    didn't use the left-handed thread. If something comes out good, we used the left-handed thread. Their mother doesn't realize it's just a joke between them and took them seriously. I am LOL with everyone else.

Anything to make a buck I guess.

Being a Lefty I don't buy into such "novelties". I live in a right handed world, I learned to adapt to it.

When I was in Kindergarten, my teacher didn't like the fact I was the only Lefty in her class. I guess she thought I was making her day go by slower or something....lol

Anyways, she tried forcing me into writing with my right hand. I couldn't so, I wrote everything backwards. Like this :

Ees enaJ nur. Ees enaJ hctac eht llab.

She called my parents in for a conference, big mistake........My Dad is left handed.
    I was transferred into the other Kindergarten class the next day.
    Last edited by Chasing Hawk; 05-07-2012 at 06:10 AM.
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)
    “If you can’t see a mistake from 12 feet away, it doesn’t exist, and there are no perfect quilts and that helps a lot,” .......Greg Biornstad

Blog Entries
    This reminds me of the time in HomeEc class that we sent a new girl to the store to buy Tailor Tacks. It was not nice but we got a big laugh out of it. For those of you who don't sew garments - a tailor tack is a method of marking darts, etc. by using a needle & thread.
    TwandasMom

Thread for lefties-??! Snipe hunt anyone? I'd trade her my left-handed toothbrush for some of that thread!
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2