Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Spoiled quilter. >

Spoiled quilter.

Spoiled quilter.

Old 11-22-2019, 08:35 PM

I hear you about shoes. My feet are long and extremely narrow. Shoes are, and always have been, difficult for me to find. And when I do, they have to last forever.

I once got a pair of narrow shoes at a discount store, $95. The cashier was shocked by the price and said she would never spend that much on shoes. For me, $95 for a pair of well fitting, comfortable shoes was a pittance! It was a good brand, too!
Old 11-22-2019, 08:57 PM

If I'm not willing to "spoil" myself, who will be? This summer my 'spoiling' myself resulted in a huge smile from a very quiet, extremely sweet 13 year old grand nephew. He was thrilled with his guitar quilt - his new and favorite hobby. That's the big spoiler for me - seeing that kind of smile and happiness over being thought of.

That said, my stash and quilting equipment will 'live' long after I am gone. Someone will get it for free or for a very good price. Good for them. In the meantime, I get to use it and make someone happy now and then. All is right in my quilting world.
Old 11-22-2019, 09:26 PM

I'll admit to being in the spoiled/blessed/fortunate bunch. More and more I'm into "experiencing" than in acquiring.
I'd rather experience new memories than a new "thing" with our money. That being said, I am not a big spender on
any one particular category, not even quilting, and we aren't in debt. Admittedly, though, one of my hobbies is finding new-to-me restaurants for lunch. Crazy, right? I love to go out with family or friends to a place I've "found" and tried on my own. Hubby teases me about knowing all the restaurants in the tri-county area. I'm spoiled that way, but again, it's an experience.
Old 11-23-2019, 09:16 AM

You are not spoiled. Different priorities. I have a beautiful Leather Coach purse. Oh wait - it was a gift to my daughter from her brother (he can afford it). She got tired of it and gave it to me! LOL I don't buy many clothes either and barely any of those other things and when I do, I spend as little as possible. I hate to shop, for anything (have to eat) - except for fabric. I look good enough in public. Have a couple of decent outfits for special occasions, but don't need more than that. Quilting is my passion. I do lots of charity quilts, I can sew daily and never get bored. You are not spoiled.
Old 11-23-2019, 09:33 AM

We all choose what is important to us. I prefer spending money on quilt supplies versus golfing, eating out, going to the spa, etc. Everyone has their own personal budget. It is nobody’s business how we spend it as long as we are not asking them for money.
Old 11-23-2019, 02:16 PM

I am a spoiled quilter but not in the same way you mentioned. Money is always an issue since we are both living on a very fixed income. I can't buy much, but if there is something I really want or need, my husband will always tell me to go ahead and get it. The main way I am spoiled is that DH never complains about the time I spend quilting. Having a chronic illness, I have limited amounts of energy and ability to do things. If I quilt I can't clean or cook, or much of anything else, but he never minds that I choose to quilt. He encourages me to do it because he knows it has so much to do with my well being.
Old 11-23-2019, 02:52 PM

My mother used to say " people always try to manage other people's money...it's so easy to do !" Bottom line..your life, your money. Your friends don't have the right to chime in on how you spend it unless asked. As for me..I buy what I want, when I want. It's nobody's business.
Old 11-24-2019, 02:09 PM

While working, all things quilting was my therapy (have a stash) and I used a credit card. Never did pay off the mortgage, sold the house and this one has a mortgage. When I retired, I paid off credit cards and closed the accounts. DH has a credit card (he's much more careful than I was), so on line purchases of medicines and books go on his card. Other purchases on the card are approved by him first.

Now that I'm retired and 70 yrs old, I'm thinking I'll never use even 1/2 of my stash. Wish I'd been more careful with purchases. It's not going to set tossed, the stash is doing therapy as fast/easy charity quilts. I'm willing to try combinations that are a little risky-someone will love it.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-24-2019 at 07:17 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 11-24-2019, 02:13 PM

Define spoiled. I take it to mean that a person has been damaged by over indulgence. I’m betting that doesn’t apply to anyone of you who have replied that you are able to purchase whatever you wish. I think fortunate is a better adjective than spoiled.
Old 11-24-2019, 02:57 PM
mkc

Originally Posted by JanieW View Post
Define spoiled. I take it to mean that a person has been damaged by over indulgence. I’m betting that doesn’t apply to anyone of you who have replied that you are able to purchase whatever you wish. I think fortunate is a better adjective than spoiled.
One of the best responses so far.

I wonder how these "friends" would react if the OP called them "spoiled" when they purchased a new purse when the existing one wasn't worn out? Or went out to dinner on a weeknight because they didn't feel like cooking?

Spoiled has a negative implication, and unless they were laughing (and kidding) at the time, to me these "friends" come across inappropriately judgemental.