Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stash or no stash?? >

Stash or no stash??

Stash or no stash??

Old 03-16-2011, 07:26 AM

I have a huge stash of fabric--way too much in fact. If I had it to do over again, I would do as you do and plan each quilt, buy the fabric for it and occasionally do a "scrappy" quilt to use up the extras. As it is, I have a ton of fabric that I know I will never use of the "What was I thinking?" variety. Fabrics in the marketplace just seem to keep getting better anyway. I'd wait if I were you and then go slowly. I've found that buying a fabric just because you fall in love with it is not that great an idea unless you just want to collect fabric for its own sake.

Originally Posted by SimpleCook29
My hubby-to-be and I live in a one bedroom apartment. Really no room for a stash. I am strictly a planner.. I plan the quilt I want to make (i have 2 more in mind after I finish my first). I know the general fabric I want to use, and have just a small bin for my ruler, seam ripper and other tools of the trade. I have a portable singer that has no real home. Just get shuffled from one spot to another.

I never really found the need for a stash like my ex mother in law had. in fact i think all that extra fabric would drive me nuts..

So tell me.. The house we are looking at buying has a shed that I would convert to my sewing room. Should I start building a stash or wait?
Old 03-16-2011, 08:02 AM

I have fabric for planned quilts. Right now I have fabric for my sister and sis in law. I have fabric for a quilt in my spare room. I don't like to keep to much around with the ideas floating, I would jump into too many projects and never get anything done
Old 03-16-2011, 08:19 AM

I recently moved and found out that a box full of fabric weighs a lot.! I'd wait and see how the sewing room unfolded (pun intended). I moved into a smaller sewing room and now have most of my fabric in boxes because my shelves are too big for the new room. Whew, it can be a big mess.!
Old 03-16-2011, 08:28 AM

My favorite quilt shop has a big bin of large scraps, you get to fill the bag for $5.00 and I have learned how to really stuff them in, the bag has to close. Another shop does the same but her scraps are very small. I have only bought there once but I do love finding those large scraps and many of them is fabric that I have already bought for a project so they come in to save as extra ops pieces.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:36 AM

The problem with my stash is that it's all small pieces. I used to work for the LQS, so got very very good discounts. I was just starting quilting, so I'd pick up random pieces that caught my eye: almost always remnants/leftovers/qtr (not FQ) yds. Now that I am quilting for income (well, trying at any rate), I find these small pieces to be a hassle, but I just can't bear to give them up! On the flip side, because they're mostly small pieces, 90% of my stash fits on 3 30x12 shelves... (not 3 units, 3 shelves total)

I'd wait til you move into your new quilting space before you buy anything for your stash. And then, especially if you're a planner, I'd only buy blenders for now. Nothing smaller than a 1 yd piece, unless you pick up FQ packs (those are far more useful if you plan to do block swaps, though)
Old 03-16-2011, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by SimpleCook29
My hubby-to-be and I live in a one bedroom apartment. Really no room for a stash. I am strictly a planner.. I plan the quilt I want to make (i have 2 more in mind after I finish my first). I know the general fabric I want to use, and have just a small bin for my ruler, seam ripper and other tools of the trade. I have a portable singer that has no real home. Just get shuffled from one spot to another.

I never really found the need for a stash like my ex mother in law had. in fact i think all that extra fabric would drive me nuts..

So tell me.. The house we are looking at buying has a shed that I would convert to my sewing room. Should I start building a stash or wait?
Welcome!! If your buying a house in MN and the Shed is not insulated You will Freeze, You can build stash, but keep it under control Totes are good and move nicely.
Old 03-16-2011, 03:00 PM

You're going to sew in the shed in the Winter? Brave soul!
My thoughts: You can never start collecting too early!
Old 03-16-2011, 03:01 PM

never wait-start asap-really
Old 03-16-2011, 04:04 PM

Start now. You can use pant hangers and hang your fabric in the coat closet. I re-roll back onto the fabric bolt and put them on the top shelf of the closet. Good luck with your plans for your new home.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:23 PM

It would depend on when I would be moving. Prices are going up rapidly so it might be worth buying now and moving it????