Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stash or no stash?? >

Stash or no stash??

Stash or no stash??

Old 03-16-2011, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by SimpleCook29
My hubby-to-be and I live in a one bedroom apartment. Really no room for a stash. I am strictly a planner.. I plan the quilt I want to make (i have 2 more in mind after I finish my first). I know the general fabric I want to use, and have just a small bin for my ruler, seam ripper and other tools of the trade. I have a portable singer that has no real home. Just get shuffled from one spot to another.

I never really found the need for a stash like my ex mother in law had. in fact i think all that extra fabric would drive me nuts..

So tell me.. The house we are looking at buying has a shed that I would convert to my sewing room. Should I start building a stash or wait?
I think that is up to you. I started the way you are doing, just buying for a planned quilt and I think I was happier not being so burdened with all this fabric I have now. Unless you are making scrap quilts, it always seems you have to buy more fabric when you plan another quilt..

So in the end, do what makes you happy.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:50 PM
Power Poster

I would wait so you don't have to more it.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:36 PM

I buy the bolt if A.-its a real good deal and B.-as backers C.-when I decide I can"t look at these curtains one more day..But if its a beginning stash they fit just about any where But only at the beginning :lol: :lol:
Old 03-16-2011, 08:35 PM

you don't necessarily save money by building a stash that hangs around forever. sometimes it's cheaper to just buy what you need and be done with it, even at LQS prices. soooooo.......are you building a stash or collecting fabric? you have to decide if you want to make room for the expensive stuff like batting at 50% off, or backing at 50% off with coupons. the rest you might want to get as needed.

if you can get to a store fairly easily or don't mind online shopping when you need to, and you are happy enough not taking up space, why fix it if it ain't broken? i'd rather invest in a second machine, for backup, if i had to choose. which, thank god, i don't.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by jodimarie
I have always been a bit of a collecter....guess it was growing up on the farm in the 50's!! You always made sure you had enough groceries in the kitchen once winter arrived....might be snowed in for weeks at a time!! Well, now fabric has taken over as my collection of choice!! I remember when Batiks were introduced about 15 years ago.....the time that Calicos were the rage and NO ONE bought them ( except me!! ) and they all ended up on the clearence tables ( and in my stash!! ) I just loved the randomness of the colors and am still pulling out a lot of the ''oldies but goodies''. With the cost of Batiks nearing the 15.00 range at my LQS, it is like money in the bank!!
Glad to hear I am not the only one who is like this. No way am I going to run out of food or material (in case of bad weather etc.

Watch the sales and build your stash if your really LOVE the fabric and have the room or it will become a headache to you in your quest for orginazation!!

jodi
Old 03-16-2011, 09:25 PM

Unless you plan to get into scrappy stuff, you don't really need a stash. I have lots of fabric in bins because I've been doing some scrappy stuff the last few years but before that I really didn't see the need for it. I alway bought what I needed and had very little left over so I didn't accumulate much. My space is limited and so is my budget so I try to only buy for specific projects and even doing that it starts to build.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:23 PM

You should not put the cart before the horse. You have a system you should stick to it. Most of us have more fabric then we will ever know what to with so our sewing rooms end up looking very messy.
Old 03-17-2011, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by SimpleCook29
My hubby-to-be and I live in a one bedroom apartment. Really no room for a stash. I am strictly a planner.. I plan the quilt I want to make (i have 2 more in mind after I finish my first). I know the general fabric I want to use, and have just a small bin for my ruler, seam ripper and other tools of the trade. I have a portable singer that has no real home. Just get shuffled from one spot to another.

I never really found the need for a stash like my ex mother in law had. in fact i think all that extra fabric would drive me nuts..

So tell me.. The house we are looking at buying has a shed that I would convert to my sewing room. Should I start building a stash or wait?
I am getting to the point where all the stuff - fabric included - that I've collected (hoarded??) over the years is really becoming a physical and emotional burden and it IS driving me nuts!! I really ENVY you that you can plan something and make it, and not just buy, buy, buy. Use the space in the sewing room for cutting table, machine, whatever - don't change your buying and stash habits just becasue you think you SHOULD!
Old 03-17-2011, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by Vickymomof6
If this is the way you're happy quilting than no, I wouldn't build a stash. If you have fabric left over after a project you can "gift" to a scrap lover!
I have fabric everywhere! I love scrap quilts, but this is me the way I'm happy quilting.
I am a scrappy quilt lover so I enjoy going to my stash but if this isn't your style, don't worry about it. You don't have to have a stash. I know, I know, a lot of quilter's are saying "WHAT???!!!"
Old 03-18-2011, 02:09 PM

I love browsing thru my stash. My only gripe is that I wish I'd bought more of each fabric as I never have enough of any one fabric and I have a hard time finding it again.