Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thimble problems >

Thimble problems

Thimble problems

Old 02-23-2010, 07:54 AM

I have tried them all, nothing fits or feels comfortable. Even the finger cots, they are too thin and when you put your stitches on your needle the needle pokes thru those. I have a rubber thimble tho that I bought at a quilt show it works the best but still a little big. I have tried all of the tips that are on here, still no luck. I even tried one of those plastic ones that look like a Clover with the open end and those didn't work either. Also the dots, they never seemed to be in the right place at the right time and they wouldn't stay on my fingers either. I am a mess I know. Oh by the way I even tried the hammer, that didn't work either. lol.. But you can't hand sew or quilt without a thimble unless you want to get stuck in the finger by the end of needle and take it from me that hurts...

But I am not giving up as I do love hand work, so will keep looking and will follow all suggestions. I have a ton of those thimbles that are cheap laying around, and some of the more expensive ones too. So I don't give up. lol.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:34 AM

Thanks for all the information!!
Old 02-23-2010, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Carol W
Thanks for all the information!!
This may be confusing, but it really works for me.
I use my index finger to hand quilt, but I had trouble grabbing onto the needle to pull it through. I use this made up gadget and it works perfectly for me.
The thimble pack has some double sided adhesive dots in it. I bought one of the leather thimbles, and cut the dimpled metal piece out. I stuck the double sided adhesive on the metal thimble and put it on my index finger and cover it with the rubber finger tip and I have protection when I quilt and the rubber tip grabs the needle and pulls it through. Hope this is clear to understand
Attached Thumbnails attachment-17786.jpe  
Old 02-23-2010, 01:23 PM

Wow now that one sounds like it would work,thank you. If I can remember to do this I am going to try it, I will put this page in my mail box so I don't. Forget that is lol
Old 02-23-2010, 01:54 PM

I love these - I have never been able to use a thimble and the pads really work well. Be sure to get the leather ones as there is also one that is slick which is hard to use.
Old 02-23-2010, 04:26 PM

Yes they are great. I have very crooked fingers from Arthritis, and these are perfect for quilting.No way can I keep a regular thimble on my right thimble finger.
There don't seem to be very many people carrying them tho. I'm afraid that one of these days, I can't find them.
Old 02-23-2010, 04:33 PM

Thank you so much for the "tip".
Old 02-23-2010, 05:18 PM

I have been using them for several years and I love them!!! They are the only "thimble" I will wear.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:57 PM

Hadn't thought of using batting to pad the inside of my thimbles. Have to do that. I have wrapped a bandaid around my finger and the put the thimble on and that works well. Thimbles and I are just not friends and I really do need to learn to use one as my fingers are a mess from quilting. Those little pads have been recommended by ladies in my quilting chapter as well but since I don't do quilt stores, I've not bought any yet. I do have a cataloge with them in and should just order some. Thank you.
Patty

Originally Posted by Boston1954
I cut tiny strips of leftover batting and wrap it around my finger. My favorite thimble was given to me by my husband and though it is a bit too big, it works for me with the little cushion inside.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:41 PM

I'll have to give these a try. My thimble makes a blister on my ring finger. I keep a band-aid on it when I'm hand sewing anything!