Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thimble problems >

Thimble problems

Thimble problems

Old 02-26-2010, 02:08 PM

I have also used big rubber bands the ones like they put around brocclie they work great for pulling needles through quilts.An it's recycleing to.I've also gotten the band they put around your arm when they go to draw blood outta your arm.Cause they can only use them once.SO I get the ones from when my hubby had surgeries on his armsanthen when my daughter had the grand babies.So i have enough of them to last me a life time an have memories while sewing.About the babies beibg born I was there for both of them.An when hubby had his shoulder worked on an other things like that.I can't use a regular thumble an I got one of just about any kind you can think of.
Old 02-26-2010, 03:11 PM
Power Poster

has anyone tried something called Aunt Betsy? Its used like a thimble. I saw a video on it and wondered if it really works.
Old 02-26-2010, 03:14 PM
Power Poster

Had the name wrong. Here it is

http://quilting-fabric.connectingthr...w=aunt%20betsy

Its called Aunt Becky
Old 02-26-2010, 04:17 PM
Power Poster

I have seen others use the Aunt Becky and once you learn how to do it, it speeds up hand quilting and no poked fingers. I need to learn how while I have some around me that know how to use it.
Old 02-27-2010, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
I have seen others use the Aunt Becky and once you learn how to do it, it speeds up hand quilting and no poked fingers. I need to learn how while I have some around me that know how to use it.
it looks awkward, has anyone used one??? my finger is so sore and marked up..LOL I would love to hear if it really works
Old 02-27-2010, 07:33 AM

I have one, see I told you I have tried everything lol.

I don't like it, its clumsy, big and the needle slides off it. I hate it and think its the worst of many ways I have wasted money lol at least the other wastes are more enjoyable. Nope I wouldn't recommend it.
Old 02-27-2010, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by foxxigrani
I have one, see I told you I have tried everything lol.

I don't like it, its clumsy, big and the needle slides off it. I hate it and think its the worst of many ways I have wasted money lol at least the other wastes are more enjoyable. Nope I wouldn't recommend it.
glad you answered, I really do not need to add to my un-usuable pile

:thumbup:
Old 02-27-2010, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by LindaR
Originally Posted by BellaBoo
it looks awkward, has anyone used one??? my finger is so sore and marked up..LOL I would love to hear if it really works
I had made myown back before they started making them an
saleing them in stores.I tink I still have it packed in stuff in shead yet but that was the closest I ever came to being able to wear a thimble.It fit beter than any thimble I ever had.
Old 02-27-2010, 10:46 AM

Aunt Becky is made to be used on the finger under the quilt, so you still need to use a thimble on the top finger. I bought one but couldn't figure out how to use it, the needle kept sliding off of it. BUT, I had read that Jinney Beyer uses a spoon, and there is one she recommends made specifically for quilting. I didn't want to spend more money on something that I wasn't sure I would be able to use, so my DH took an old spoon from my kitchen and cut some of the handle off (about 2") I slipped on one of those soft rubber pencil grips and it works great!! I had seen a video of Aunt Becky in use, so I used the spoon just like that. After using my spoon for awhile I thought maybe the one Jinney recommends would be better, so I bought it. I like my homemade one better. I use a Roxanne thimble on my top finger, I like it because I use the pad of my finger not the top, and most thimbles are made to use the top of it. They are expensive and I need to buy another one because my finger changes sizes depending on the weather. Clover makes one that looks similar to the Roxanne that is MUCH cheaper, so I will try it.
Old 02-27-2010, 06:47 PM

I hate thimbles, too, so I use these finger pads exclusively. They stay sticky a really long time. I've not seen them at Joann's but they're between $5 and $6 at most quilt shops with 12 pads in a pack. I believe they are made by Clover but I'm not sure.