Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
For those of you that sell... >

For those of you that sell...

For those of you that sell...

Old 04-28-2010, 03:34 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by suesews
I have sold quilts and table runners, placemats at craft shows in my small town. In this economy, people don't want to pay very much, even for hand made items. The last few years, I have kept the quilts simple, and made from my stash, so I don't have to charge so much. I have made many crib/throw size strippy quilts, that I sold for $20 because that is all they will pay. I just use that income to finance my quilting habit, and buy more fabric or tools, so I don't use money from our household account. Works for me.

Sue
I would be like you. I enjoy doing my crafts. A lot of people do not realise the work that goes into the making of crafts so my advise is to keep them simple. There is no way that you will get the true value for them.
Old 04-29-2010, 01:03 PM

I sold my Kingsize Quilt at our Art Show today for $290.00. Whoopee!!! I couldn't believe it when the gal told me she wanted to buy it. I am so happy!!
Old 04-29-2010, 03:54 PM
Power Poster

Congrats on your sale! Sounds like you sold it pretty darn cheap to me... :shock: :D The cash feels good in your pocket though, right?
Old 07-11-2010, 09:48 AM

I have only sold one because I didn't know what I was going to do with it. I charged $500 to cover the fabric, my time, and the cost of having it quilted. She was happy to pay that for a queen size quilt. Don't know how that compares, but we were both happy.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Covered in Threads
Pricing can be challenging. I have for a number of years done homeshows and craftshows. For the most part the quilts I sale at shows are of a simple design but great colors and I always follow the "materials x 3" rule. This way I get to do what I want and in the patterns I'm interested in trying out. Now for special orders I include my time ($10 per hour). On special orders I let the customer do the initial lead ideas and go from there. One of my favorite customers, who has now returned a number of times, brought me her son's t-shirt collection from age 2 up to 17+ to be made into a graduation quilt. My initial quote was for $400 for a full size block design in which I simply did stitch in the ditch. She was thrilled and wrote the check out for $700.
Location, clientelle, customer's ideas, your time and workmanship all play a factor in final prizing. At first you really need to develop a client base, that know and see your "good workmanship" and recognize reasonable prices for the work you put into one quilt. Once they know and become educated in quality your prices seem minor in what they want and get from you. I've been doing craftshows for a long time and actually have customers travel to a few of my shows from other states in order to get their gifts for family members from me. Though making a living from my love of sewing will never be why I do it, I've also found that I've been able to save enough from the various shows to help pay for many of our Christmas and summer vacation traveling expenses.
Whatever you chose to do, make it fun and positive. Be open to new ideas so you too are growing in any new adventure.
wow! amazing post/response in this thread. great information and ...the last 'be open....' is absolutely wonderful!! :thumbup:
Old 07-12-2010, 10:19 PM

Up North I would have told that lady to go to Wal-Mart and by one.

Cookie
Old 07-12-2010, 10:38 PM

IMHO....if someone says they can get a quilt from wally world for $20...I tell them to go for it. I figure that just a couple of yards of good quality fabric is about $20.

People just don't realize how much goes into creating the works of art that we do.!!

Sorry....just had to rant after seeing a post about the $20 wally world quilt
Old 07-13-2010, 03:56 AM

You have to know I probably would have gifted it to her anyway! She has been a friend since high school and helps me out a lot. It was kind of a slap in the face tho.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by quilterd
MY STARTING PRICE FOR JUST QUILTING A TOP FOR SOMEONE
IS $ 200.00

DEPENDS ON THE AMOUNT OF QUILTING & THE SIZE
THE BIGER THE TOP THE MORE I CHARGE
THEY FURNISH EVERTHING
LIKE SOME SAID YOU CAN'T CHARGE WHAT ITS WORTH
THEY COULDN'T AFROD IT
Is that hand or machine quilted?