For those of you that sell... >

For those of you that sell...

For those of you that sell...

Old 04-17-2010, 06:35 AM
Power Poster

Well, I say "go for it" too!
Old 04-17-2010, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
I really just want one for me personally but me being the techie I am I want the one that is CNC operated. Just plot out the design hit the button and sit back and watch.

But if I can do a few to help foot the bill for the machine then why not.

Billy
Billy,

What does CNC stand for? Who makes such machines?

Thanks for the info.

Diane
Old 04-17-2010, 04:20 PM
Banned

CNC is a acronym for "Computerized Numerical Control".

Basically what it means is that you plot out the design on a computer by using measurements on the A and X axis and then when you like what you see then after loading the quilt on the long arm you take it to a certain point and "zero" it out and then you hit the enter key and it will put quilt the entire quilt in the design that you have made or plotted.

They are expensive around $15,000 or so depending on what you buy but its easy and all you do is push a button and take a break! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have a Plotter that I kept from my Graphics business and it works on the same principle. The vinyl will move back and forth and the plotter blade move side to side and thats what creates the designs.

Billy
Old 04-17-2010, 04:34 PM

A friend of mine used this method. She set an electric clock to 1:00. Each time she left her sewing, she unplugged it. Thus, when she came back to her sewing, she plugged it back in. Not a useless thing when one is trying to keep up with time.
As for cost of quilt, I recently finished a king size, done with a precut kit. Supplies $200.00 My time, estimated 85 hours. At $10.00 per hour - that is $850, then plus the $200. I'd ask no less than a thousand. This was completely done on machine, except for hand work on the back to make final seam closings. Silvia
Old 04-18-2010, 05:11 AM
Power Poster

Silvia...thats a pretty good idea about the clock! :lol:
Old 04-18-2010, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by gail-r
I'm so glad to see this thread and your timing is amazing. i usually make embroidered quilts, mostly Jenny Haskin's stuff. At Christmas my daughter and son-in-law were here from Boise, Danny saw some of the quilts I was working on and said he really like the blue Simon's Folly quilt. I really didn't think much about it until I got a call from him last week. They had been to an Amish store (Penn?) and Danny looked at their quilts, then he made my daughter come over and look at them. He couldn't believe that they were priced at $1000.00. He told me that they weren't half as nice as I make and asked if he could buy the blue one, I felt bad when I told him that it was already sold so I told him that I would make him a quilt for just the cost of supplies and that would run around $300, 2 hours later he called to tell me that he had deposited the money into my account and asked if I could make it blue. So, he is getting a navy, lite cream fabric with navy and amber gold thread. I bought stuff on sale so I am going to surprise them with matching pillow shams. I usually start my prices at around $2500 for an embroidered quilt as I can spent 10 hours of embroidery time on 1 block. I'm just finishing a Sharman's Vintage Garden that has 20 blocks in it and each block averages 8 to 10 hours.
Old 04-18-2010, 05:36 AM

Thank you everyone for your great advice. I can't wait to get started on a couple to sell. I have made up my mind to make a couple ahead of time and just price them accordingly. Before this tread I would have priced them to low, now I feel confident that I will be able to price them for a good price. I do have a lady that wants me to make her one for her son a full/queen. She is going to buy the material and I will sew it for her. Since it is my fist one that I will make to order I do not plan on charging to much. Plus I want the word of mouth that she will give me. Will let you know what happens. Thanks Beth
Old 04-18-2010, 04:16 PM
Power Poster

Good luck with your selling Beth.. :-D
Old 04-18-2010, 04:24 PM

Good luck Beth. If you live near any trendy boutiques, especially those in hot tourist area's check with them to see if you can either sell to the boutique directly or put some of your "custom, original quilts" in their store on consignment. Just make sure it is in a safe area with very low shop-lifting rates.
Old 04-18-2010, 04:24 PM
Banned

I have thought about getting a stop watch that can be clicked on and off to track the time.