Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
For those of you that sell... >

For those of you that sell...

For those of you that sell...

Old 04-16-2010, 12:35 PM

Everyone is good on the pricing advise they have given you.

I have made crib sized baby quilts and Harley Davidson T-shirt quilts for clients. Crib sized quilts start at $120 and the HD T-shirt quilts, which are queen size, start at $350. I once had a client that wanted me to make a double sided HD quilt; we had discussed what exactly he wanted, talked over 4 days, he came to my house, and then, when I told him that it would be $850, I thought his mouth would fall to the ground! LOL! But, making a t-shirt quilt correctly, with cornerstones and sashing, is very labor intensive.
I also agree that working for $10 an hour is too low. Remember, if someone says they can go to Wal-Mart and buy a bed in a bag, and does not want to pay for a heirloom that if taken care of properly, will last them through to their great-grandchildren and beyond, then tell them to go and buy the bed in a bag. I have told them basically the same. Set your prices and stick with them. You are the one that is doing all the work.
Here is the HD t-shirt quilt I was mentioning above and a crib quilt....

Harley Davidson T-shirt quilt with cornerstones and sashing
[ATTACH=CONFIG]62445[/ATTACH]

Crib sized quilt with Minkee backing
[ATTACH=CONFIG]62446[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-62440.jpe   attachment-62441.jpe  
Old 04-16-2010, 01:57 PM

I really like the idea of having a start off price. Personally I prefer to make the quilt and then sell it. I have worked in sales and no matter how hard you try you can never please a customer. It only takes one to ruin your love to quilt. I think it would be safer to make the quilt ahead of time and then put a price on it. I like the idea of adding as is to it so they don't ask whether I can make it in green because I would say no, as is. I have been also thinking about only charging for fabrics and notions that I have to buy. If I use from my stash, the theory is that it has already been paid once upon a time by a customer. I am not the government. No need to double charge. I am also in the process of trying to perfect my piecing and quilting technique. I can't control how much materials will cost but if I can get real good, in theory, it would take less time which means I can charge less.
Old 04-16-2010, 02:37 PM

The pricing everyone is quoting seems right to me. I agree with sabrinaquilts. I make quilts like I want to and then sale them. If someone wants a quilt in a certain color like one I have on sale I just tell them sorry all my quilts are orginals and I never make the same quilt twice.
Old 04-16-2010, 02:53 PM
Banned

Apparently there is a high demand for a long armer in my area. I had a lady that I see all of the time at the fabric store (she works there) and she was telling me if I had a long arm that I could make some serious cash. From my understanding there are only 2 in my area and one is almost an hour away that do long arm work. She says everyone sends their quilts off to folks all over the country to get them done and if I was priced right they would be coming to me.

I do not know if it justifies the price of a long arm but I am starting to think about it now. They also send a lot of machines my way to service also so the folks that go there know me pretty well.

Billy
Old 04-16-2010, 04:23 PM

Lostn51 I have a Tin Lizzie 18 I bought last year. It is easy to use. The set included the quilting frame a couple of paper pantographs, lamp and laser to trace the pantographs with. I've gone from quilting a queen size quilt in a few months to one or two weeks depending on how much quilting I put into it. I don't quilt for others at this time but I've been studying up on it. There are several good books out there that teach you what you need to know about setting up your own Longarm quilting business.
Old 04-16-2010, 07:02 PM
Banned

I really just want one for me personally but me being the techie I am I want the one that is CNC operated. Just plot out the design hit the button and sit back and watch.

But if I can do a few to help foot the bill for the machine then why not.

Billy
Old 04-16-2010, 09:00 PM

I have sold quilts and table runners, placemats at craft shows in my small town. In this economy, people don't want to pay very much, even for hand made items. The last few years, I have kept the quilts simple, and made from my stash, so I don't have to charge so much. I have made many crib/throw size strippy quilts, that I sold for $20 because that is all they will pay. I just use that income to finance my quilting habit, and buy more fabric or tools, so I don't use money from our household account. Works for me.

Sue
Old 04-17-2010, 12:50 AM

this is probably unrelated to this thread but after viewing some comments i have a question. when making rag quilts should you make them for babies? i have heard its ok and then i have heard it is a choking hazard? made one for a friend who is pregnant and was going to start another one for another friend but wasn't sure if i should.
Old 04-17-2010, 06:00 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Apparently there is a high demand for a long armer in my area. I had a lady that I see all of the time at the fabric store (she works there) and she was telling me if I had a long arm that I could make some serious cash. From my understanding there are only 2 in my area and one is almost an hour away that do long arm work. She says everyone sends their quilts off to folks all over the country to get them done and if I was priced right they would be coming to me.

I do not know if it justifies the price of a long arm but I am starting to think about it now. They also send a lot of machines my way to service also so the folks that go there know me pretty well.

Billy
Billy...I don't remember "exactly" where you live, but I know there are at least 2 LA's in Corinth, I personally know of 2 LA's in Middleton (and I heard there were others), there are several in Jackson....so evidently your lady hasn't checked too closely. Thats NOT to say that you couldn't do very well with starting your own LA business though. I just wanted to make sure you knew that there are others in the area.

:D
Old 04-17-2010, 06:19 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by sandpat
Originally Posted by Lostn51

Billy
Billy...I don't remember "exactly" where you live, but I know there are at least 2 LA's in Corinth, I personally know of 2 LA's in Middleton (and I heard there were others), there are several in Jackson....so evidently your lady hasn't checked too closely. Thats NOT to say that you couldn't do very well with starting your own LA business though. I just wanted to make sure you knew that there are others in the area.

:D
I just want one for my own personal use. But it someone needs one quilted then I will not turn it down. But I am having a hard time justifying the CNC version even though my wife told me if thats the one I want just go get it. It comes with a laptop....... :roll:

I have sold quilts and table runners, placemats at craft shows in my small town. In this economy, people don't want to pay very much, even for hand made items.
That is the reason I am doing the whole "Going Green" thing. I can keep the cost to a bare minimum and still sell to the "Bed in a Bag" mentality folks. They will come closer to dropping $150 to $200 on a queen sized hand crafted quilt. And it was made on a treadle with no Carbon Footprint.

Billy