Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • too much fabric >
  • too much fabric

• too much fabric

Old 01-24-2010, 11:10 AM

I always try to give people the benefit of the doubt. Maybe the sales person was not trying to be rude. She grossly misjudged your response. Perhaps she was just trying to make conversation. I've had employees and the store owner make comments about how often I visit the store. Usually it is to see if I have a project in mind or to make conversation, and never to judge. These brief conversations made me feel like I wasn't just another customer. If a comment bothers you tell the clerk right away. How else will she know that it bothers you. Just my 2 cents.
    Old 01-24-2010, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by purplemem
    My sister owns a vinyl graphics business and she uses coroplast. It is an acid free plastic. She custom cuts the pieces for me. I use them to wrap my fabric around (on the bookcases) and use as dividers in my drawers and shelves. She sells lots of them on e-bay for quilters to do what I did. I love being able to see my stash without having to mess up piles when I just want to pull one or two pieces.
    What is she listed under and what sizes do you buy? I love this idea...[/quote]

Her name is Gwimpylou on Ebay. If you go to her store, you can find her listings. Mine are 8" x 11.75" (I believe) so that I can fold my fabric in half, then half again and wrap them around. This allows me to use a regular bookshelf. She sells them for fat quarters too.
    Old 01-24-2010, 12:22 PM

Thank you all.... for the laughs... My lifetime is extended thanks to you all... and my fabric buying addiction, too. :lol: :lol: :mrgreen: :lol:
    Old 01-24-2010, 12:39 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by bibiche
    It must be bad when the people who work in the fabric store think you have too much fabric. My local fabric store was having a sale. I wanted two yards of a certain fabric, but well, there were only four yards total and it was only $2 a yard...

me:"I'll just take all of it. I'm sure I can find something to do with it."
    saleswoman:"Yeah, like pile it on top of all that fabric you already have."
    :|
    :oops:
    Isn't it lucky for them that you chose to spend your $$ at that store. Your pile in part contributes to her paycheck. She was probably upset that she had to cut the "cheap" fabric, since we all know that expensive fabric cuts so much easier. (I need that sarcasm smiley).

Just for grins, has anyone actually taken stock of how much value is in your sewing room? I tried it the other day and decided that it is "a fortune." No need to define it any further than that.
    Old 01-24-2010, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    Just for grins, has anyone actually taken stock of how much value is in your sewing room? I tried it the other day and decided that it is "a fortune." No need to define it any further than that.
    I was just thinking about this the other day! As in, "OMG, what if there were a fire?! Should I put this in the insurance policy??" LOL
    Old 01-24-2010, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by KarenBarnes
    I have done the same thing many times! I prefer to finish the bolt especially if I really like the fabric. I can't tell you how many times I've been asked to make a quilt for charity or for a new baby at church and I didn't have to go to the store for anything! I could just take from my stash! My DH really appreciates this since I can't seem to leave the store with only what I came for! Have fun with the addiction!
    Sounds like me!! I hate to leave a little on the bolt if is something I like, especially if is on sale!!!
    I shop from my stash all the time. It is the greatest thing to just open my cabinets and start pulling fabrics spur of the moment to whip something up. I just did it again an hour ago.....
    Old 01-24-2010, 06:57 PM

I was only going to buy a yard of halloween fabric that was in the red tag section today, but there were 30 inches besides left on the bolt so it came home with me lol I'm always checking the remnant bins as well.
    Old 01-24-2010, 08:09 PM

Location: Back home in Louisiana for now....where next?? who knows....

too much fabric?? Surely you jest. LOL
    Old 01-24-2010, 08:30 PM

I loved the partitions so much that I bought enough to do my sewing room. I like to roll my FQ's though, and place by color in clear shoe boxes on shelves.
    Old 01-24-2010, 10:53 PM

Did this lady stop and think if not for people like you and me she would not have a job. Why shold she care where you put it or when you are going to use it.