Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Trying to decide if I need an Accuquilt cutter . . . >

Trying to decide if I need an Accuquilt cutter . . .

Trying to decide if I need an Accuquilt cutter . . .

Old 02-01-2011, 08:45 PM

It cuts your squares, triangles ect...problem is that if your pattern callls for a 2 7/8 in square, you can't use it...It is only good if the templates and the pattern jive....There are limited templates available....and they are pricey...It's a good thing if you can design your own pattern using the themplates that you can buy or if you are making several quilts that require the same size squares, triangles etc...Lots of money not alot of return...
Old 02-01-2011, 09:07 PM

I have not used the Accuquilt, but have used the Alto's Quilt Cut 2 for over 5 years. I cut 6 layers at a time, accurately, and have no need for dies or templates. The only thing it will not do is circular shapes. For a little over $200 dollars, a lifetime warranty,13 angles available for cutting,and a video that gives you an in-house teacher at any hours of the day or night, how can you lose? I have also known people with disabilities (wheelchair, arthritis. blind,etc.) who learned to use the system - which extended their quilting life for decades.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:13 PM

Accuquilt is what it says it is: ACCURATE! Every single piece you cut is perfect. And you can cut them so quickly. Sure, you THINK you can cut accurately with templates. But you wind up having to square up. Never have to square up with Accuquilt. I especially love doing HSTs now! It cuts the dog-ears off, too.

You quickly learn how to do a little pre-cutting (no accuracy needed - so it's fast) so you don't waste a lot of fabric.

If you have arthriti or back problems, it's especially nice. My DH had even offered to start cutting for me, because of my back problems. When I described the Accuquilt to him, he said ,'Buy one!"

At first, it's hard to crank the handle. Hang in there, because it gets easier after it is used for a while. Remember how a new jump rope was kind of stiff, but it softened up after you used it for a while? Sort of the same. The dies stay sharp, though.

Fast, accurate, easy-peasy!

As for the sizes not fitting every pattern - they fit the most-used block patterns.The 2-7/8" block someone mentioned that would be a pain in the neck to cut no matter HOW you cut it.

www.jhittlesewing.com has good prices for the dies, and you can find good prices for them on ebay, too. If you spend at least $100 at jhittle, shipping is free - important, because the dies are heavy.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:19 PM

I love my Accuquilt Go. I was always ruining my fabric can't cut straight to save my life!!LOL
But the Go cuts perfect!!Today I took all the fabric I have ruined and I now have 2 1/2in squares,5in squares and 4 1/2 in squares cut perfectly and in baggies!!!!

ANd I love how it cuts my 2 1/2 in strips.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by nevrn
By the way...with the strip cutting dies, how long can you cut the strips? Would it cut long strips like say for the inner border on a wall hanging or lap sized quilt?
It's a learning curve for long strips - but you CAN cut long strips by folding the fabric.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:12 PM

I did not know if I would really use one so I decided not to get the GO. But then the GO was my bday present from my family. It was an adjustment to get used to having this expensive toy. At first I would have to remind myself to use it bec I am so accustom to my rotary cutter. The more I used it, the more I liked it ..... now I absolutely love it!! It saves my arm, my hands, saves me time and my cuts are PERFECT! I am so glad now that my family got this tool-toy for me. I have since purchased additional dies ... and have been able to find each and every one on sale.... a great idea!
Old 02-01-2011, 11:14 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

Glad you fell in love with it.. !!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Keep extra mats on hand.. they get worn quickly..
Old 02-02-2011, 12:05 AM

[quote=Pollyv9]I always weigh the cost of a toy vs more fabric. The fabric usually wins. quote]

Ditto.
Happy shopping, whatever you buy.
Old 02-02-2011, 03:47 AM

I have the Accuquilt Studio. Yes the dies are expensive but when you can cut a king size quilt in less than half an hour....need I say more?? I suppose if I had to do it all over again I would buy the Go, but that was not available when I purchased the Studio.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:28 AM

Where do you purchase the Sizzik or Quickuts dies so inexpensively?

Thanks!