Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Trying to decide if I need an Accuquilt cutter . . . >

Trying to decide if I need an Accuquilt cutter . . .

Trying to decide if I need an Accuquilt cutter . . .

Old 02-02-2011, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by nevrn
Thank you for your reply Joanne S. and also for the J. Hittle site URL. I checked that and will be buying from them in the future. Lots of GREAT prices.
Someone else says check out quilterswarehouse.com - Go there for $207!
Old 02-02-2011, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99
Not sure what you mean by #1 and #2. Do you have a link to the eBay listing?

sorry i confused everyone. i was referring to the alto quilt cut. the #2's are way over $200. i think almost $300. on ebay i saw the #1 for $159. i wondered what the difference was. i will see if the listing is still there.

edit - i'm wrong again....... $62.00 for the #1. why the big difference. except of course the fact that the other one is from the company and this is from ebay.

http://shop.ebay.com/items/alto%20qu...&tt_encode=raw
Old 02-02-2011, 09:19 PM

I can afford one but I'm just not interested. Seems like a money sinkhole to me.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:23 PM

I'd love to get one but they dies are really expensive. Maybe the most used shapes...wish I had someone close by to share dies with.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:06 PM

I had a GO!, but sold it. I liked it well enough, but it didn't do all that I wanted. I bought the Westminster/Sizzix Big Shot Pro. I can use all my GO! dies I had bought, plus now buying the Sizzix/Westminster dies. I also scrapbook so I can do all the other dies in it too.

I did see where you can buy an adapter tray for the Studio, but that machine is pretty much out of my price range to begin with.

I just recently got my machine and paid a little over $300 including shipping! It's an excellent machine and I don't regret it at all, as I did with the GO!
Old 02-02-2011, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by magpiefeather
I pondered that one too. But I "invested" in an Accuquilt Studio which I will use myself and rent out to others for a fee (so far undecided amount). That way I can share the fun! On some of the groups for Accuquilt, I read someone say they only make quilts that can be cut quickly on a Go or Studio. The benefits...cutting multiple pieces by rolling it through a roller! I guess the price is the part no one likes. But in my opinion, it is a time saver and saves wear and tear on my cutting arm and hands, something that with proper care can be used for a long time and is worth the money. Not just a gadget you would use once and throw in a drawer.
I agree here. I have bad wrists so this has been a blessing for me! And I also cut for my Mom & a few of her pals. I figure the cost of the machine is cheaper & much nicer than surgery that may or not fix my wrists. And I love cutting strips with mine. I have 3 diff. widths of strip Dies and they are the bomb.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:59 AM

I received this email from AccuQuilt today. Last year I received a survery requesting ideas for dies.
===============================

Dear AccuQuilt Supporters,

When you receive a letter from the CEO of a company, you'd expect it to be about the company's goals for the future—or about upcoming new products. For that reason, I'm guessing this letter will surprise you. As CEO of AccuQuilt, all I want to do is say, "Thank you."

Thanks for buying AccuQuilt products. Thank you for sharing your dreams, die designs and project ideas for the AccuQuilt GO! and Studio fabric cutting systems. Thank you for using our Web site, stopping to see us at the many tradeshows we attend across the country and visiting us in our Fremont facility.
Thank you, also, for supporting our release last year of the new GO! Baby fabric cutter and AccuQuilt coordinating embroidery designs. You can get information about those cool quilting tools in other places, so I'll just say, "Thank you for making AccuQuilt the industry's number one fabric die cutting company." Everything we do is for customers like you, and we appreciate you.

On behalf of all of my associates at AccuQuilt, we hope you have a very happy year. We encourage you to continue communicating with us. Tell us your ideas, let us help you solve your fabric challenges, make sure we know if there is anything at all you are not happy about. You can call us at 888.258.7913, e-mail us at [email protected], or contact me directly. That's something I'll bet you didn't expect from the CEO of a company. That's how much I value you as a friend of AccuQuilt.

Best regards,
Stephen W. Nabity
Chief Executive Officer (a.k.a. Cutting Edge Officer)
AccuQuilt
402-721-5777
[email protected]
Old 02-03-2011, 08:08 AM
Banned

I bought an Accucut and sold it about 6-7 months later. It simply wasn't worth the money and time involved. The machine is the least of the cost. Dies are $29-109 and mats are $10-15. Mats need to be replaced every 2 or 3 tops you cut. I cut a top using the rag die and it ruined 2 mats. If you want a 6" square or triange you have to cut fabric 6.5 or 7 inches to fit through so why not just cut your size. The only practical use I saw was if you liked to applique it was easier cutting the shapes but again dies are pricey and how often will you use same ones again? I ended up within 2 months of purchase buying almost another $500 in dies and mats. Also it says cuts 8 layers of fabric. They did not all come out even. When I called company they suggested 4 layers and add a piece of paper over it to prevent sliding. Took forever. I found it much easier to cut the pieces with mat and rotary cutter. I sold the machine and all the dies for $400. If you own a quilt shop and want to sell charm packs or jelly rolls it might be worth the investment I guess

Originally Posted by rvsfan
Just exactly what do you do with your Accuquilts and Accuquilt go? Do you just cut shapes that you could do the same by using a template? I want one because it's a new toy and I could tighten my belt a little and afford it, I just can't imagine what I would actually do with it. Seems like a lot of money to accomplish what you can do with templates. Maybe I'm missing something???
Old 02-03-2011, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Zhillslady
I bought an Accucut and sold it about 6-7 months later. It simply wasn't worth the money and time involved. The machine is the least of the cost. Dies are $29-109 and mats are $10-15. Mats need to be replaced every 2 or 3 tops you cut. I cut a top using the rag die and it ruined 2 mats. If you want a 6" square or triange you have to cut fabric 6.5 or 7 inches to fit through so why not just cut your size. The only practical use I saw was if you liked to applique it was easier cutting the shapes but again dies are pricey and how often will you use same ones again? I ended up within 2 months of purchase buying almost another $500 in dies and mats. Also it says cuts 8 layers of fabric. They did not all come out even. When I called company they suggested 4 layers and add a piece of paper over it to prevent sliding. Took forever. I found it much easier to cut the pieces with mat and rotary cutter. I sold the machine and all the dies for $400. If you own a quilt shop and want to sell charm packs or jelly rolls it might be worth the investment I guess

Originally Posted by rvsfan
Just exactly what do you do with your Accuquilts and Accuquilt go? Do you just cut shapes that you could do the same by using a template? I want one because it's a new toy and I could tighten my belt a little and afford it, I just can't imagine what I would actually do with it. Seems like a lot of money to accomplish what you can do with templates. Maybe I'm missing something???
8 layers is not realistic on a Go, but it is with a Studio cutter. I can easily cut 4 layers, and I do use paper, and it DOES prevent slipping & sliding. It does NOT take me forever. I can 'rough' cut strips quickly and then the GO cuts them PERFECTLY into the pieces I need, AND I REALLY SAVE TIME BECAUSE I NEVER NEED TO SQUARE UP!!!!
Old 02-03-2011, 06:38 PM

For me, it was worth it! DH bought me a Go Baby for Christmas and I bought the 4 1/2" square with 2 1/2" square and 1/2 sq triangles die. I've cut almost all of my 1/8 yard strips into squares and am loving:

Knowing that the squares are accurate and my top will not be off point because of a slipped ruler when rotary cutting

Not having the wrist/arm pain I get with rotary cutting

Saving soooo much time... I can cut well over 4+ squares with the Go Baby in the time I could cut one with ruler and rotary

The small footprint of the Go Baby... really it takes up less room (with the die) than my rotary cutting equipment, so easy to tidy up

I don't think it is a money pit. The time saved and accuracy gained are well worth occasionally replacing a mat, IMO. I only anticipate getting one other die so that is no issue for me.

Good luck whatever your choice!