Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Trying to decide if I need an Accuquilt cutter . . . >

Trying to decide if I need an Accuquilt cutter . . .

Trying to decide if I need an Accuquilt cutter . . .

Old 02-03-2011, 08:28 PM

Accuquilt cutters are like an XBox - They are expensive to purchase and you have to buy the games or in this case the dies to use with it.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by JUNEC
Accuquilt cutters are like an XBox - They are expensive to purchase and you have to buy the games or in this case the dies to use with it.
Honestly, for me it's worth the money, because it saves me pain from arthritis in my thumbs and pain in my back from standing so long to rotary cut, because I have degenerated discs. Very little waste fabric, because I can quickly 'rough' cut strips before using the Go. If you consider the Go an expensive toy, then you don't need it. If you think it's a tool that will help you avoid pain and make more quilts faster, then you probably both need and want it IMHO.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:20 PM
Power Poster

My rag die has made over a dozen rag quilts and still works like new. I don't think the dies are too expensive for the time and effort they save me. I'm thinking of getting the Vagabond die cut machine to use cutting my most used die shapes. I love playing in my sewing room with all my stuff. DH plays with his woodworking stuff and now I understand his joy with a new machine.

His last new machine set up to cut wood was over $2000 with many more accessories to buy later for it. Yes he could use a hand saw like I could use scissors to cut my fabric. NOT! LOL
Old 02-05-2011, 07:18 AM
Power Poster

I don't know. That is an awful lot of money for a toy that you might only sometimes use.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:57 PM

I got my accuquilt today I cant wait to put it to use but I just have to finish my borgela quilt first and as many times I have been ripping out on the quilt , it might take me a while.
Old 02-05-2011, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Camping Betty
I got my accuquilt today I cant wait to put it to use but I just have to finish my borgela quilt first and as many times I have been ripping out on the quilt , it might take me a while.
You will really enjoy it.Go to quilting-warehouse.com and you will find dies a whole lot chaper than any where else.Im saving 40dollars on this sight than on accquilt
Old 02-05-2011, 02:28 PM
Banned

i cut enoough 2.5"squares today with my Accucuter for a twin size quilt - in about 15 minutes.
Old 04-29-2011, 06:27 PM

you can use other die on the Studio http://www.thriftyideastoday.com/201...lt-studio.html
Originally Posted by clsurz
I opted for the Sizzix Big Shot Pro Westminster Edition cutter over the Accuquilt Studio one for a couple reasons...... 1) price - Accuquilt Studio is $549+ and 2) it uses only it's dies in it.

My Westminster cutter 1) price was half of the studio 2) uses ALL dies from all name brands... yes even the accuquilt one's with the exception of the jumbo and extra large accuquilt dies.

I've been using most of the Accuquilt studio dies with exception of above mentioned sizes, the Go dies, Sizzix dies, Ellison, etc.

I paid $280.00 for my Westminster compared to over $549 for the Studio.

Another reason I went with that machine is not just to cut fabrics but also other type materials from paper, cardstock, chipboard, vinyl, etc although I have other cutters for that. It also is an embossing machine.

I am however using it only for fabric right now.
Old 04-29-2011, 06:34 PM

I agree...this is not a toy. its AWESOME! and I like that that it does not plug in or need a computer to use...the dies are worth it...I look at how much rulers and rotary blades cost...I hated cutting fabric now I love it and look forward to do it while watching TV. I never have to fuss with my shapes and its a breeze to sew. I am not one to waste money...and I would not want to quilt without one. totally worth it...and no waste..I have small dies shapes and cut them all once I am done a project. I can also cut a bunch of shapes for future quilts. I store them neatly in a box.
Originally Posted by JoanneS
Originally Posted by JUNEC
Honestly, for me it's worth the money, because it saves me pain from arthritis in my thumbs and pain in my back from standing so long to rotary cut, because I have degenerated discs. Very little waste fabric, because I can quickly 'rough' cut strips before using the Go. If you consider the Go an expensive toy, then you don't need it. If you think it's a tool that will help you avoid pain and make more quilts faster, then you probably both need and want it IMHO.
Old 04-29-2011, 06:51 PM

My Go cutter is at the LQS trying to get sold. I hope someone buys it.