Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
tying quilts >

tying quilts

tying quilts

Old 09-23-2011, 11:54 AM

I love tied quilts. They seem so much like my granny used to make.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:30 PM

I hope I'm not asking a dumb question, but how do you tie a quilt form the back? How do you know where to tie when you can't see the the block joints (pattern) of the quilt? I tie most of my quilts or send a few special quilts out to LA (but can't afford to do that to often). I am making an Around the world quilt for a wedding present and tyng on the back would not cause as much distraction as on the front would. Thanks
Old 09-23-2011, 01:42 PM

I don't know about everyone else but I tied a little square knot on the front of the quilt in a matching thread when I have tied quilts. Hope this helps. Donna
Old 09-23-2011, 01:46 PM
Power Poster

You can tie the quilt from the front or the back - depends on which side you start on. I found if I use a good wool yarn it sort of felts up and stays tied nice. Thin wool yarn goes through the material easier than thick - either will felt. You don't want to 'granny' the square knot or it will pull out.
Old 09-23-2011, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by IAmCatOwned
I tie quilts all the time. Don't beat yourself up about it. I live in MN and everybody wants a thick quilt anyway. In fact, my very favorite quilt, that I brought out of storage tonight, is a tied Maple Leaf quilt. One of the advantages of tied quilts is that if your batting goes flat, you can put new batting in. Not something you can do with a quilted quilt. I have 2 quilts I can only use for summer quilts now - they are not warm since they lost their loft.
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL252.../190398834.jpg

I nearly always use flannel and thick batts on the tied ones. Nobody complains. I found using Cascade 220 wool yarn to be the best choice. It's thin enough to go through relatively easily, and the knots felt, making them more secure. Scads of yarn in a skein - it's almost enough to do 2 queen sized quilts.

Still, don't consider your quilted quilts ruined. Everybody is a beginner at some point. I have a couple of quilts I am less than thrilled about, but the recipients loved them. My first two projects are horrible, but one - a tree skirt, I only have to look at 6 weeks a year (at most). The other, a table runner, I actually have hung up on a book shelf at the entrance to my sewing area. It reminds me of where I started, so I feel good about it.

Other examples of my tied quilts (note: none of these are kid or baby quilts). They are Full or Queen size.
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL252.../364897934.jpg
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL252.../345475366.jpg
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL252.../343262061.jpg
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL252.../147468413.jpg
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: just beautiful, :P :P ,, Dottie Bug
Old 09-23-2011, 03:52 PM

My kids like handtied, puffy quilts much better than the closely quilted thin quilts. They are cuddlier.
Old 09-23-2011, 04:13 PM

Some quilts are just crying to be tied, others want to be hand quilted and then others Say Quilt me!! anyway you want.
Old 09-23-2011, 04:15 PM

I want to tie my quilt, but how and where do you start tieing?
Old 09-23-2011, 04:41 PM

For years, I tied all my quilts. I had 9 children when my husband died unexpectedly.
I would cover worn out quilts and blankets with 2nd hand sheets or fabrics and tie them. For Christmas gifts, I would tie pretty quilts tops to old blankets--(I could never afford batting or purchased materials of any kind.) My children loved these quilts.
It is only now that I am beginning to quilt like my mother and grandmothers have always quilted.
To me, no stitched quilt will ever be a beautiful as the remade tied quilts that wrapped around my precious children.
Old 09-23-2011, 05:19 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by SherryB
I want to tie my quilt, but how and where do you start tieing?
I think it depends on the top of the quilt. You want the knots evenly spaced. You can put them over corners or in the middles of the squares. Sometimes the knot is as much a part of the decor as anything. You really won't want knots too close to any of the edges.

My mom gave me "quilting" boards that were handed down. They were poplar 1X3s about 8 or so ft long. They are kind of small for a big quilt. Anyway, there are holes drilled every couple inches. Then rags tacked on to hold the quilt. I think the holes were for pegs or something. Anyway now days they are held together with c clamps. We made our own before too. Take 4 long straight boards and tack down a strip of fabric right smack down the middle the whole length on each one. They go just tight enough to not pop when you pin to them and loose enough you can pin to them with out sagging.... must be an art.... Then you lay the boards on the floor pin one quilt side to the strip along the side of the board. Do the bottom piece first. Then put another board on the opposite side and pin it on to the scrap fabric. Once the two long sides are pinned get the other two boards and use C clamps in all the corners to hook the whole frame up. Then pin the top and bottom of the quilt to the top and bottom of the frame pieces. Then put your batting on it. Then put the quilt top on and re-pin it to the frame - the batting just sets there. Then you get 4 nice ladder back chairs and put one under each corner of the frame. Then start by tying a knot about 5 to 6 inches from the edge in the middle - then go 5 to 6 inches (or what ever) and make another knot. Go each way in any design you like. You don't have to cut the string until the needle gets too short. Then you cut and tie all the strings. When you get to where you can't reach the middle you unhook the C clamp and roll the sides under a turn and re-clamp the boards. You try to do it so you don't have to roll it much. You can put a little kid under to catch the needle and send it back through. LOL... That was what I remember doing when I was in first grade and stopping by the ladies aid after school. I also snuck cookies... When you get it all tied, take it off the frame - lay the whole thing on the floor. Turn the fabric under and pin it together as you take it off the frame - then all you have to do is sew around the edges. TaDa a 'quilt' - NOW I have been called down on this before. Some people think if it isn't quilted with thread stitches along each seam it isn't a quilt it is a comforter.... Tell that to my mom.