Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Use of Fabric Question

Blog Entries
    There is a little boy at our church who has some health problems that are affecting development. One of his favorite things to do after service is touch the flags. he loves the satiny feel to them. I'd like to make him a small quilt full of different textures-terry cloth, suede, velvet, satin, flannel, cotton, etc. Whatever has good tactile feel to it. Any thoughts on how well this type of project might hold up to washing and handling?

Blog Entries
    make a crazy quilt, or a pattern from simple shapes. sew wider seams than normal. it should work out nicely.

you are a sweetiepie for sure. the Quilting Fairies will watch over you. ;-)

There are many fabrics with texture that are washable.Sounds like a great project!

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-22093-1.htm

Check out this thread- it has some good ideas for this type of thing.

I would suggest making a little wider seams on this quilt. That will give it a little more stability for heavy use. Maybe you could zigzag around the satin. Or, when I use satin in quilts, I use quilt basting spray and "glue" it to a piece of muslin. It helps to stabilize it for sewing.

I would like to see pictures of this quilt when you're done! I bet it will be cute and the little guy will love it. (And I bet his mom and dad will be really touched by your thoughtful gesture!)

Blog Entries
    Actually it's a great project for infants/toddlers as well.

I think this is a wonderful thing you're doing Gramma and the little boy is going to love it!

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the suggestion about wider seams. Also I should probably prewash everything for shrinkage? I appreciate the feedback!

Aw, what a sweet thing to do! I am sure he will love it!

Blog Entries
    Sweet! He will be happy.

Very thoughtful, I have made several "taggies" using fleece and ribbons of various textures for babies. They are about 10" with the ribbons sewn in between the layer.

What if you just did different patches of the different kinds of fabric, I think you're probably looking to do something very basic. That way he would have a larger area to feel. Depending on the kind of satin used, I might back it in muslin. Very slippery to sew and I would zig zag or overcast the edges to prevent raveling.

I worked with an autistic child, elementary level, and he loved stuff like this.

I was talking to a lady at Joann's one day who was doing something similar for her preschool class. She had assembled many different textures and colors of fabric and was going to make books out of them. She even had some tulle or netting to use in there.

My only concern with the project would be launderability with all of the different fabrics. I guess you'd probably want to prewash everything as you would do with a quilt.

you will be blessed for this gift of love ..

What a wonderful idea. I bet he will love it. Please post pics when you decide what to do.

I would put a wide satin binding on it since he likes the feel of satin. Walmart used to carry them, I don't know if they still do but they should be available in any LQS.

Children like that can sure tug at you heart can't they? We have a little girl with Downs Syndrome in our church and although she can be a pistol at times she's still my little sweetheart. She seems to like tiny things so I took some fabric that had little 2-3" paper dolls on it, stiffened them and their dresses and made "church dolls" for her. The dolls, dresses, and accessories all fit into an Altoid box that I carry in my purse. When she sits with me she points at my purse to let me know that she wants to play with them.

Blog Entries
    Wow! Thank you all so much for the great tips! Even though I have an idea in my head, my quilts sometimes take off in a different direction once I start them. This will likely end up being somewhere between an I Spy type quilt with each block being a differnt color or texture and a crazy quilt where they all just merge and blend at random. From all your suggestions I will: use wide seams, back the satin with muslin, prewash all fabric, use satin blanket binding, incorporate ribbon into the design, and top stitch everything! (That will give me a good opportunity to use my decorative stitches on my machine!) Thank you all sooooo much!

That's what we're here for. LOL

Wonderful idea. Is he autistic?

I would imagine pre-wash all fabrics first even teh dry clean only.

He will love it.

Blog Entries
    No, although he does exhibit some autistic charachteristics that hasn't been diagnosed yet. He was born with his skull bones fused so as he grew his brain had no where to go. They did surgery at one year. His forhead protruded too much so that was corrected at the same time. He also has an extra chromosome but so far they havent' figured out exactly what effect that will have, if any. He is very hard to describe. At first glance he appears fine but when you watch him for any length of time you can see problems with interacting with people, speech, etc. The doctors feel that over time he will catch up with himself, but they are vague about what his long term challenges might be.
    Quote Originally Posted by wvdek
    Wonderful idea. Is he autistic?

I would imagine pre-wash all fabrics first even teh dry clean only.

He will love it.

Quote Originally Posted by PatriceJ
    make a crazy quilt, or a pattern from simple shapes. sew wider seams than normal. it should work out nicely.

you are a sweetiepie for sure. the Quilting Fairies will watch over you. ;-)
    I agree, he will love it.

I would talk to the parents and make sure he isn't alergic to any fabrics or material. And also the colors he likes the best and the ones he doesn't like. You might want to even make a double of the quilt for him so that if it becomes a security blanky his mom has one for him to hold and one to wash as they get dirty. I can't tell you how much I wish that I had a second quilt look a like for both of my kids. It would make putting them to bed much easier. Especially when the laundry is taking a long time to dry. The crazy Quilt idea is a good one. Simple squares of different color fabric and size a quick and easy way to go. Good luck to you and let me know how it comes out. I have two autistic boys at my church and we are moving the nursery to a larger classroom so that they boys can remain in the nursery longer and we are going to decorate it for autistic needs. I was thinking about doing a quilt like what you are doing for the room. But being a newbie I am scared to death of taking on that large a project. Good Luck and God Bless.

One of the local quilting guilds makes tactile quilts for blind babies. If you do a Google search for "blind baby quilts" or "tactile quilts" there are many hints and suggestions.

don't forget some minkie--it feels so good and perhaps some of that polyester that looks and feels like satin (might need to be backed with a fusable stablizer.

I agree = post pics when you finish

Blog Entries
    Thank you for the suggestion. I never thought about that. I really love this board!
    Quote Originally Posted by sewbeeit42
    One of the local quilting guilds makes tactile quilts for blind babies. If you do a Google search for "blind baby quilts" or "tactile quilts" there are many hints and suggestions.

What a great idea. I'd just cut squares from the different fabrics and then cross-hatch with quilting. Should hold up just fine.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast