Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Virtual Quilting Weekend -- December 16-18, 2016 >

Virtual Quilting Weekend -- December 16-18, 2016

Virtual Quilting Weekend -- December 16-18, 2016

Old 12-16-2016, 01:04 PM

I will be putting my blue horse on the background fabric this weekend and (hopefully) getting it sandwiched.
If that goes well, I might take a stab at beginning a yellow and grey throw that I should be working on.

Watson
Old 12-16-2016, 01:52 PM

It been a successful day so far. I finished the Christmas stockings, some more Christmas ornaments and a treeskirt for our mini Christmas tree... Tomorrow will hopefully be just as productive
Old 12-16-2016, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
I'm wishing this would give me the kick in the butt I need to get back into the studio after my foul up with basting my DD's quilt. It kind of pulled the desire rug out from under me. We'll see how I feel, how inspired I am, when I wake up tomorrow; hasn't been good so far this week.

Jan in VA
Uh-0h. What went wrong with the basting?
Old 12-16-2016, 02:16 PM

If I get a second wind after dinner, I'll start quilting the chemo quilt for my friend. Would love to get it to her ASAP. We're expecting a dip of temperatures, with some snow and ice overnight, then changing to rain tomorrow. Then much colder on Sunday. So, doesn't it sound like a wonderful weekend to stay in and sew???!!!

I was hoping to push pressure on myself to finish a baby quilt for my 4-month old niece by Christmas. However, my sister (her mommy) was just laid off and so was her daddy this week. Money has already been tight for them. I think instead of rushing to give the sentimental quilt, I'll relax and get something that's only practical (like diapers or something).
Old 12-16-2016, 03:16 PM

I finished cutting up the fabric for the Jewel Box quilt - and have a stack of batiks to send to my friend - and I'm down to 2 small totes of batiks left, so that is good. I used about 50 different fabrics for this - and probably have another 30 that I didn't use. That's the fun of buying fat quarter bundles - lots of variety!

and I got started on clue #4 of the BH mystery.

And so DH didn't feel neglected, a made a batch of sweet dough and made a pan of rolls and a dozen donuts. Here are the rolls - the donuts didn't last long enough to get a picture.

I also forgot to close the door to my fabric room - and Max took advantage. After all, quilts are for sleeping on, right?

Last edited by Macybaby; 12-16-2016 at 03:21 PM.
Old 12-16-2016, 04:37 PM

I'm in! Last night, I finished sewing my Bonnie Hunter clue #3. I still need to press them open and swirl the seams. Then I can start on clue 4.

I tied a small fleece blanket this evening. One of the cats curled up on the fleece as I was tying it and both took turns laying on the fleece beside me waiting to be tied. Goofy cats.

I am not planning on going anywhere until 3:00 on Monday afternoon. We are supposed to get 5-8" of snow tonight and then winds increase and temp could drop to 20 below overnight Saturday.

It will be a good time to turn on the space heater in my sewing area and sew!

Connie
Old 12-16-2016, 06:03 PM

Hope everyone in the storms path stays safe and warm! Here it is supposed to rain tonight and tomorrow with temps rising to 50, only to drop back to the 20s on Sunday. It's a roller coaster winter so far!
Old 12-16-2016, 06:23 PM

I'm in! I want to start (and maybe finish?) a disappearing nine patch throw for my mom. It's going to be her Christmas/wedding present. I realize I'm cutting it close, but I won't see her until New Year's Day so I've left this project for last. I have one charm pack and I have cut the other 5 inch squares that I'm using to augment the charms. I'm planning to start tomorrow!

Love all the projects so far!
Old 12-16-2016, 07:06 PM

Finally decided to hand stitch the cuff on the stockings--some people in family have too long of name to have it fold over evenly--so will attach with a decorative stitch and embroidery floss. Work for tv time. Then started on the snowballs for the first memory quilt. As I was working on them realized there is NO WAY that I can get 3 memory quilts (twin size) out of the shirts and pants she gave me--had told her that may need to be adjusted big time and I was right. So go the snowballs worked on (have one more point yet)but decided I needed to cut the alternating blocks for the other 2 out of the pants that I had left before I cut more squares for the snowball corners. I think I will be using almost every thread I can eke out of these clothes for these 3 quilts! And also did some work on the long arm. Just practicing stuff for the quilt that will get worked on after Christmas--planning "heirloom" quilting. More work on memory quilts tomorrow--but also some wrapping of presents--the one thing I do NOT like about Christmas!
Old 12-17-2016, 12:18 AM

Margaret, you're fortunate to have some help. I haven't settled on a menu as of yet but the close proximity of each has its challenges. The lone certainty I have are latkes and fried dough. The rest is a toss up. I celebrate both holidays and it's nice to enter the new year in the right spirit. Enjoy your feast!