Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Virtual Quilting Weekend--March 16-18, 2018 >

Virtual Quilting Weekend--March 16-18, 2018

Virtual Quilting Weekend--March 16-18, 2018

Old 03-18-2018, 08:08 AM

I'm getting ready to go up the sewing room in a few minutes. I'm going to finish up the dog pillow (Thanks, Rob ) and then work on the professional tote that I started a few weeks ago. I'm trying to get some things finished this weekend as I have a car show next Sat. Probably going by myself, but it's not far.
Old 03-18-2018, 09:19 AM
Power Poster

I got "Converging Streets" top done, with its borders, and started machine quilting the table runner. I had to put the machine on its slowest setting but it is looking pretty good.
Attached Thumbnails 100_5694.jpg  
Old 03-18-2018, 10:11 AM

That Converging Streets is coming right along and looking good Boston1954!

I'm in a bit of a funk. I got on line to check when I should take the tag down to the gallery and found an email reminding me that I had agreed to help hang the show that I made the tag for...which means that I need to be there at 4pm today and will probably be there for several hours and then have to take time tomorrow and or Tues. as well....Rats....I'd really wanted to get a UFO sandwiched and quilted this afternoon/evening--it's way more fun playing on the Sweet Sixteen than hanging a gallery show LOLOL. I might have time to at least finish the clothesline bowl before I have to leave....sheesh....

Rob

Last edited by rryder; 03-18-2018 at 10:13 AM.
Old 03-18-2018, 11:34 AM

wow -some super nice work going on! I see several that would help use up my scrap pile!

I woke up with a nasty headache and it took a while (and a lot of drugs) to get it under control. I did get the last of my Houses complete. I decided to fully sew them together, as I ran into some problems and decided this would work best. I can always applique over any "oppsies" that might happen with the markers. But then, sometimes they will be fine too. This is going in a display case on the wall behind the register in the Thrift Store, so it won't be under close inspection.

The blank spot will have the School Logo - this is our 90th year.

This is my other major wip. I've been working on this off and one since the start of the year. I've got quite a few sections completed, and decided to put a corner together to see what it would look like.

Old 03-18-2018, 12:27 PM

Love that second quilt, Macybaby! And the houses too, but stars are my weakness.

I just want to say "Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!" to our host this month. I have been SO productive. Every time I thought about throwing in the towel, I thought about the VQW and all my plans posted on day one. So, I have a great result to post:
1 backing made (100x108", so not a small feat)
3 quilts quilted and ready for binding
2 quilties (24x24" quilts) ready for binding
1 quilt completely finished

I might even get the bindings done tonight, but for now I'm on a break. Here are some photos of this weekend's achievements.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]591201[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]591202[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]591203[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]591204[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails p3181362_small.jpg   p3181366_small.jpg   p3181367_small.jpg   p3181364_small.jpg  
Old 03-18-2018, 12:30 PM

Now I've got a problem. I thought I would put a darker gold on for the outside border. But I've never had a yellow or gold quilt or top that sold well. I put an inner border of the same goldish yellow and then some candy pieces as a framing border. The darker gold seems overwhelming. I thought about some dark red, but I don't have enough. I've got quite a bit of candy fabric. I should have used the dark red as the framing border and then the candy as the outside. I'm sort of disgusted with myself right now. Buying more fabric is out of the question. My goal is to use up what I've got.[ATTACH=CONFIG]591205[/ATTACH]

I love the jar quilt.
Attached Thumbnails 20180318_150547_resized.jpg  
Old 03-18-2018, 12:30 PM

Just checking in... I see lots of great projects going on! I had to share this with you all - I had a really close call with my spool of thread while I was sewing the straps on a duffle bag.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]591206[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 20180318_160355.jpg  
Old 03-18-2018, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by meyert View Post
wow!! such great projects and ambition!! I am trying to wrap up my first log cabin quilt... I have never made one before. Here I am so far. I am thinking a about thin red outer border???????

[ATTACH=CONFIG]591127[/ATTACH]
A thin red border should really pick up the red from in the blocks.
Old 03-18-2018, 02:18 PM

Wow MacyBaby!!!! Both of those look great! I really love the individuality of the wonky houses and the corner that you put together of the other quilt is amazing!

Krista- that's a lot of stuff done!!!

BattleAxe-- can you do the red as your inner border and then do the outer border with the candy--- it would mean a little ripping, but if you're not happy with it....

QuiltingVagabond-- that's a seriously close call! Don't you love it when it works out like that? LOL

Fortunately it didn't take as long to get the gallery stuff hung as I'd thought, so I don't have to go back tomorrow or Tuesday. Yay!!! That means that this evening I can find a UFO to sandwich and maybe get to play with it on the Sweet Sixteen tomorrow.

Rob

Last edited by rryder; 03-18-2018 at 02:24 PM.
Old 03-18-2018, 02:19 PM

Battle Axe, I like the border you have on that, I think it picks up the colors in the quilt quite nicely.

Quilting Vagabond, wow--that's cutting it close!

Well, I didn't as much actual quilting as I generally do on VQW, but I did get pretty much everything done on my list! Quilter's Day Out in Burlington KY was very nice yesterday. I have my stuff packed for this coming weekend's retreat and I cleaned up the sewing room (something it feels like I do on a regular basis!). When I return from the retreat, I'll hopefully have lots of projects to finish. Perhaps that will be my goal for next month's VQW