Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Virtual Quilting Weekend--May 25-28, 2018 >

Virtual Quilting Weekend--May 25-28, 2018

Virtual Quilting Weekend--May 25-28, 2018

Old 05-26-2018, 06:03 AM

Got floppy # 2 on the frame. This is Judy's most recent mystery.

These go pretty fast because I'm doing an E2E pattern using the robotics. And I have learned that "finished is better than perfect" is a good motto. I could spend hours trying to decide the "perfect" quilt pattern, but instead I look until one stands out as good, and go with that.

Old 05-26-2018, 08:39 AM

Connie, shockingly (because of the amount of batiks I own!), I did not use batiks for the block of the month. Just some solid colors.

Originally Posted by retiredteacher09 View Post
Did you use batiks? That's what we are using-purples, blues, and whites. We got the Corner Beam last night and next month will be the Lemoyne Star. I asked the gal presenting the block last night what they did last year and she said they did blocks but worked on different techniques. I didn't get a chance to ask her more specifics. I do have a die cutting system so I didn't buy the first ruler and am only getting a select few of the technique sheets. Deb Tucker's YouTube videoes are awesome.

Time to head to the sewing room. I forgot I need to get my Accuquilt BOW done. That will now take priority over other projects.
Old 05-26-2018, 08:43 AM

I see a lot is getting done. Great projects.

I got sidetracked this morning because my niece is coming to stay overnight and I needed to move some fabric, rulers, etc from my office so I can set up the air bed. So I guess it counts as reorganizing even if it will be put back in the office tommorrow.

I did use my rotary cutter and Stripology ruler to cut more strips from small pieces of upholstery fabric. I needed them to wrap around my peonies so they won't fall to the ground when they start to bloom.

Off to start a load of laundry and spend a little time in my sewing area before I need to do a bit of cleaning.

Temps will be in the 90's for several more days so I will be in the house lots this weekend. Minnesota went from snow a month ago to summer!

Heather: We get our fabrics to use from the LQS in small ziplock baggies each month. I paid 5 dollars for the first month and then I get the fabric free each month I complete the block. If I miss a class or don't get the block done, it's 5 dollars to start over. Of course, I have bought rulers and a technique sheet so they make money on those but they are discounted 20% so it helps.

Last edited by retiredteacher09; 05-26-2018 at 08:49 AM.
Old 05-26-2018, 09:09 AM
Power Poster

Here are the three quilts I have completed since this thread began:

A string quilt from bags of scraps that were given to me by a friend who didn't want to fool with small pieces. Love how the colors came out.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]594950[/ATTACH]

A Topsy Turvy Triangles baby quilt, made from a Moda scrap bag:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]594951[/ATTACH]

A donation lap quilt made from 9 squares I received in the Boom 20 swap:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]594952[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_3688.jpg   img_3695.jpg   img_3670.jpg  
Old 05-26-2018, 10:05 AM
Power Poster

I worked on a scrap quilt made with pieces of cut away scraps I bought from a member some years ago. I cut them into triangles and pieced two dozen of them. It will take a few sewing sessions to get enough to make into anything. But, I am happy I have them all cut and ready. I put it away for awhile because I grew tired of it after three days work.
Now I have started the cutting on a dogs in sweaters queen sized quilt. I am making a summer version of the sweaters that I am hoping will be cute.

I also hope to make hanging tags for all of the charity items I made last month for the golf tournament for the diabetic kids. Two totes, two purses, a tall giraffe from vintage chenille and a frog wall hanging. I need to list them and turn them in soon.
Old 05-26-2018, 11:04 AM

I'm in. Working a Labyrinth that I'm not pleased with. I also started fussy cutting for a horse quilt that has a deadline. Boston, That block you worked up in EQ may work for part of the quilt. Faster that a braid, maybe. Great timing. Thank you. Oh, flowers to plant, too.
Old 05-26-2018, 12:28 PM

Busy weekend but hope to get in some sewing. Defrosted the little frig in my sewing studio--really needed it. I have several piles of articles, patterns, etc. waiting for their designated homes and that will clean up my counters. Then if I have time I will sew a couple of blocks in the project I am trying to finish. Any time left I'll draw more squares to emb. I will NOT be looking for work.
Old 05-26-2018, 12:30 PM

At the cabin, can't post pictures, but table runner is stitched and sandwiched. Chemo quilt just needs sashing, right now I'm sitting at the fire pit watching the boaters and stitching down binding on a mystery quilt table topper from a few years ago. 89 here but comfortable, but 92 back in the cities. Do I have to go home?
Old 05-26-2018, 12:39 PM
Power Poster

Wow! Everyone has been very busy. I finished my top. This is what it really looks like. Twenty blocks, each 12 inches. It will be hand quilted.
Attached Thumbnails 100_5768-2-.jpg  
Old 05-26-2018, 12:39 PM

Got 210 vertical colorway 2-1/2 x 6-1/2" strips cut & assigned to 30 blocks, placed in order in a spiral notebook. Have select 35 fabrics for 6 strips ea for horizontal colorway.