Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wedding Quilt >

Wedding Quilt

Wedding Quilt

Old 02-22-2010, 04:30 AM

Hi, Where is it written that a wedding present quilt has to be a certain pattern? I made my daughter a king size "round the twist" quilt as a wedding present. I used my embroidery machine to embroider the names and birth dates of the bride and groom, their wedding date and the wedding dates of both sets of parents. She recently mentioned on her Blog that it was a treasured possesion. She was married in May of 2005.
Old 02-22-2010, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by Boston1954
Why not ask each of them what their favorite color is and see if they go together. Then maybe sit down with them and let them pick their own pattern (if it is not a surprise gift). That way you will know that they will love it. To me, any made for a wedding is a wedding quilt. I have never thought that it had to be a particular pattern.
Nice thought there Boston but NO DON'T DO THIS!!!. This is how I ended up having to make a Hawaiian quilt. If you want to do this then collect a few patterns you know you feel comfortable making and offer only those to the couple as patterns. If you let them pick a pattern you might be sorry like I am.
Old 02-22-2010, 04:39 AM

Congratulations on your up coming happy event

I've never done a Double wedding Ring quilt - b ut I believe I've see it in PP patterns

Will look for you. You might want to ask them what type of quilt they might want
Old 02-22-2010, 06:32 AM

My daughter was just married last September. She asked me to just make squares in her wedding colors (burgandy and forest green). I made sure that there was some white in each square and we had the wedding guests sign them as they came in. I put the squares together after the wedding, machine embroideried their names, date, names of wedding party, songs sang etc on the squares not signed, it is in my quilting frame now.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by magnolia
I don't know if this helps at all, but I am making a wedding quilt for my little sister. She is only 20 and doesn't like the typical traditional or girly looks. She is going to have bright green and zebra print in her wedding. So I decided to make pinwheels out of bright green and black and then I am going to add a zebra print border on it. It's definitely not a traditional wedding quilt but I know that she will like this one.
that sounds wonderful
Old 02-22-2010, 09:19 AM

Glad you had a good day and congrats to the happy couple.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:06 AM

:-D WOW! Thank you so much everyone for your best wishes, ideas, suggestions and absolutely beautiful pictures of your wedding quilts... they are wonderful.

Well, update is, my son has had to go back to barracks today, but they both went to see his Grandma and Grandad for an hour before he set off. I popped in on my way home from work and whilst we were sat there, my future Daughter in Law actually asked if I would be making them a wedding quilt.
I happily told them that I was contemplating the pattern and colour right now, on which she asked if I would make sure it had Pink in it... my Son adding, "she loves pink and it makes her happy."

Awww! you little sweety!
I've looked through all the site patterns and piccys of the Double Wedding Ring that you've all posted, and I'm going to have to be really honest with myself here and say... I don't think that I'm ready or experienced enough to tackle all the intricate shapes and bits and keep the top flat.
So, as suggested by you wonderful people, I'm going to go through the pattern books and make them one that I really like the look of... with PINK in it :-D

Thank you again and will keep an update... in fact, would it be a good idea to keep like a journal of making it for them? Has anyone else done this, and if so... how?
Joanne
Old 02-22-2010, 10:23 AM
Banned

Location: lost in fabric & I'm not coming out until Secret Quilt Angel is over.

First let me say CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know why but I am partial to a Double Irish Chain for a wedding quilt. I think it looks classic, and it is EAST PESSIE to make. ;) ;) ;) Plus you only use 3 fabrics so you have your pink and 2 others. you can't get much easier then that and they look SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSOOOOOOOOO beautiful. The only time I would make a DIC would be for a wedding quilt. And the only wedding quilt I would make would have to be a DIC.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:41 AM

Congrats on the happy news, try quilters cache. I stitched up blocks with things I wanted them to have from names on list, and their interests. This makes for a special quilt just for your kids and tells a story.
Good luck.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:14 AM
Power Poster

I made the quilt in my avatar for DH's brother and his new wife for their wedding gift and they were pleased as punch to get it and she just went on and on about how beautiful it is. It is a scrappy log cabin quilt, Baskets of Logs. Any quilt would be a good gift and more costly than I would ever spend on most anyone.