Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What colour to paint sewing room? >

What colour to paint sewing room?

What colour to paint sewing room?

Old 03-23-2011, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by Barb_MO
I painted all the rooms in my house with Glidden "cookie crumb". it is very pretty. A very light tan color...it doesn't have the pink tint that beige has. I really like it and it's easy on the eyes.
That is something similar to the color I painted my sewing room I use yellow on a cabinet it was so old and in need of painting. But I love the wall color.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:10 AM

I think yellow is the best color to have in a sewing room. It is like the sun is out every day !
Old 03-23-2011, 07:57 AM
Power Poster

My sewing room is a colour called "riverrock" a very pale gray/green. I like the naturalness of this colour and I am lucky to have lots of natural light in the room.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:02 AM

My sewing room is going to be in the basement and I'm going to paint it a pale sunny yellow.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:07 AM

We're in the process of painting another room to move my shop into, and it's going to be YELLOW. One half of the ceiling and all the walls will be yellow. I can't wait til we finish and I can get set up. It has two big picture windows facing south that will really light it up.

this is the ceiling
[ATTACH=CONFIG]173785[/ATTACH]

work in progress, southeast side of room
[ATTACH=CONFIG]173786[/ATTACH]

other side of room, still needing more paint
[ATTACH=CONFIG]173787[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-173779.jpe   attachment-173780.jpe   attachment-173781.jpe  
Old 03-23-2011, 09:13 AM

Hi Quilterella,

It seems as those the general color of choice is pale yellow. I would offer another suggestion for you. As you are getting a new "Toy" to have in your room, you will be wanting to be able to see the "true" colors of the quilts on your toy. For this reason I would suggest using an off white color. Sherwin Williams' is called Dover White. Others might be Linen, etc. I would check with each paint brand available or your favorite paint that you use as to the formula for the color.

Yes, there is a formula for each and every paint. From the formula you can determine what other color might influence the room.

Are you going to be sewing by the windows? Where in the room are you putting your new toy? If you're toy is going in one room that should be light and bright. If you're sewing in another space that can be whatever you like. I would just be sure to include natural or simulated daylight lighting for sewing. Also do use a design wall? Where is the design wall going to be located? It should be in the same kind of lighting as your toy will be. You may decide that you want more than one design wall.

I would most definately use the painting rule of always painting the ceiling. Always! If you are limited on time or paint then always paint the ceiling first. It will brighten the room. You may want to paint a pure white on the ceiling instead of the typical ceiling white. Check the formula. You should probably use an eggshell finish to help the light reflect off the ceiling. If using floor lamps or other lighting it will bounce off the ceiling and can influence the colors of the fabric as you see them. You may also want a track lighting system overhead if you find you're quilting at night.

You could also choose to paint just one wall area in a pale yellow. This along with your window treatments, such as window valances would be a nice addition to your room. As they mentioned the color on the wall is always darker than the paint chip so go lighter. They also have a selection of tints that you can select from. Also if you paint the walls, you need to wait a day or so for the paint to totally dry before making your final decision if you like the color outcome.

You also mentioned that you have a hardwood floors. With the color of the floors you will want a lighter color. You may want to get rubber cushion pads for where you stand with your toy. You can get a nice bright area rug to cover the pads in something matching your new color scheme.

Good luck with your room remodel. We're all looking forward to seeing the room. You could also give us some before, during, and final outcome pictures. We just love seeing pictures!

Pam M
Old 03-23-2011, 09:15 AM

I'd say a neutral, Linen is a great one or a light Taupe.

Blessings,
MaryAnna
Old 03-23-2011, 09:16 AM

My sewing room is a pale yellow. Wanted something bright yet soft enough that my quilts would look pretty hanging in the room. Whatever color is soothing to you. No, I wouldn't use dark colors unless the room is 30X40 and lots of windows. It might still look dark even that large. You're going to be spending a lot of time in there.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:19 AM

I think you should choose your favorite color then choose this in a paste shade. Light colors will make the room more cheerful and lighter/brighter. I would not paint a room white it gives the room a 'cold' feel to it.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:38 AM

Home Depot Behr Premium Plus Satin - Classic Taupe. A beige color without the pinkish hue to it. It doesn't seem to affect the other colors int he room and just about any color goes with it.