Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you buy?? >

What do you buy??

What do you buy??

Old 08-13-2014, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
Notions and fusible interfacing but only if there is a sale or I have coupon. Unfortunately I rarely get the coupons because I don't shop there often enough. If you don't use a coupon every few months they quit sending them to you.

There is almost always coupons on their website. I get coupons at least once a week thru email. Sign up on their website. Also, they have a smart phone app that gives you coupons also.

You also don't have to print out the coupons. I have used a coupon from their flyer, one from their app, one from their website and one from my email all in the same transaction I just pulled them up on my smart phone while at the register.

The Joann's that I go to now has flyers available as you walk in the door. The Joann's that I used to shop at in another state didn't. I commented on that at my new store and the manager told me that the stores are supposed to have the flyers available in the store but some don't because they want you to pay full price.
Old 08-13-2014, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
Notions and fusible interfacing but only if there is a sale or I have coupon. Unfortunately I rarely get the coupons because I don't shop there often enough. If you don't use a coupon every few months they quit sending them to you.
Just go online and resign up. That is what I do.
Old 08-13-2014, 05:41 AM
Power Poster

Been awhile since I've been to any of the stores. Having broken a bone and had to stay off my foot. Nuff said. BUT now I'm healed enough, I can go. Tomorrow is Thursday and I know of 2 estate sales. The gal running one of the sales gave me a call last night. Plus size and big and tall clothing. If I have any money left, I'll check out JoAnn's. Sale starts at 7 am. Already told DH and he will stop on way to work. Back to the shops, I'm glad I can go and play touchy feely with the fabric. I always have a coupon or the whole pamphlet. Also Hancocks. Today is senior day extra 15% off. Will be playing touchy feely. I don't get to much of the local independently owned shops but will go today since I'm thinking of it.
Old 08-13-2014, 05:41 AM

I've been shopping at JoAnn's for garment fabric lately. It is the only game in town, and sometimes can find something good there. I just don't like their quilting fabric - quality not the issue - just not excited about their color/pattern selections. I'll also buy notions there.
Old 08-13-2014, 05:43 AM

I like to go to Joann's and walk around... but I find I don't buy too much there. Their prices seem high to me. Some of their sales are great and then I have picked up rulers and 505 spray. I like going to the quilt shop, but there is not one really close to me. I generally shop on line... Fabric.com, MSQC, Amazon..
Old 08-13-2014, 05:53 AM

I haven't shopped much for anything this whole year! We don't have a Joann's but do have a Hancock's and a Hobby Lobby. Will go to Hancock's this month as they have headliner fabric on sale but will wait til Senior Day to get an additional 15% off.
Old 08-13-2014, 06:28 AM

The two LQSs close to me don't have a full range of notions, so that's what usually takes me to JoAnn's -- rulers, rotary blades, Guttermann's on sale, freezer paper, template plastic, etc. Once there, I usually amble through the quilting fabric section. Also, the LQSs don't carry solids (but I normally order solids from FabricShack or the Fat Quarter Shop, as they have all the colors, but JoAnn's has a limited number).
Old 08-13-2014, 06:33 AM

I buy all sorts of stuff there on sale. Less and less fabric these days though, seems like their prices are just climbing too high on their good fabrics. If I'm going to pay LQS prices, I'm going to go to an actual quilt shop! The Joann's near me just jumped up their Kona to 8.99 a yard. That is higher than the LQS's charge!

I like rummaging around in their remnant bin, notions are often a good deal (on sale or with a coupon). Recently they had their quilting stencils on sale and I bought a few of those. Interfacing/stabilizer/fusible web is a good deal (on sale or with a coupon, again). Batting sometimes. Pillow forms (their deluxe one is pretty nice and holds up well). Outdoor fabric for certain projects... Vinyl, for various things. Or if you just need some really cheap fabric for a test or mock-up, they have loads of that. When they have the half-off red tag fabric I stock up on heavy fabrics for tote bags. Books, when on sale.

I do a lot of other crafting too, so I wander the aisles looking for deals on things like poly clay, beading supplies, papercrafting... I'm kind of a crafting junkie, I do a little of everything! Sometimes I find treasures in their clearance area too. They clearanced out a bunch of their purse hardware not too long ago, so I stocked up on D-rings, spring clips (like for keys), large metal grommets, and magnetic snaps.

After Christmas, I go when things are 70-90% off and stock up on gift bags, tissue, tags, etc. for next year.

Pretty much the only aisles I don't really go down are the wedding, food/cake decorating, and the faux flower aisles.
Old 08-13-2014, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
NOTIONS, NOTIONS, NOTIONS!! They recently had a 70% off your entire purchase coupon on their notion wall and I tore it up! Hand & machine needles, bobbins, thimbles, marking pens, pencils and markers, seam rippers, etc. at 70% off I was able to purchase several thimbles to try as I am in search of the perfect thimble! I had a big bag of things for under $20.
I used this coupon- bought 6 bottles of Best Press at 70% off!
Old 08-13-2014, 07:01 AM
Power Poster

For something to do - compare the regular prices of notions/tools with several chains.

Example:
Deluxe Rotary 45 mm Cutter:

Walmart: $15.87
Hancock Fabrics: $23.09 (seemed to be the regular price, but 32.99 had been "crossed out")
Jo-Ann: $32.99, $19.79 with 40% off

I only looked up one item - but you may find it worth your while to check on-iine prices before heading out.