Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you buy?? >

What do you buy??

What do you buy??

Old 08-13-2014, 11:23 AM

Like others, I buy batting and notions at JoAnn's and Hancocks with coupons. Also selective fabrics and muslin that I feel are good quality for the price. Lots of people do not have a LQS near, so the chain stores and internet shopping is their only reasonable option.
Old 08-13-2014, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
Notions and fusible interfacing but only if there is a sale or I have coupon. Unfortunately I rarely get the coupons because I don't shop there often enough. If you don't use a coupon every few months they quit sending them to you.
Sign up online and you will get coupons. You can then use them at the store. I don't use them as much as I also get their mailings. I have slowed down shopping there, but do go when they have 70% off notions, etc.
Old 08-13-2014, 12:14 PM

I do a lot of charity sewing. I buy bolts of flannel at Joanns either when it is on sale or with a coupon. I put it on the back of my Linus quilts. I also pick up a lot of fleece on their clearance rack that I also make Linus blankets with. I find good deals on their child friendly fabrics on their clearance rack. Their prices are really starting to climb. I refuse to pay more than $5 a yard for their children's prints so most of what I get is clearance. I have access to two different JoAnns. Each are about the same distance from my home in opposite directions. I don't believe I have ever purchased fabric on line or through the mail. I like to feel and see it before I purchase.
Old 08-13-2014, 12:36 PM

I rarely buy fabric at JoAnn's. I will buy notions, threads, interfacing and batting if I have a coupon but even then you have to be really careful about the price because even with a coupon it can often be more than at other places. I think where JoAnn's has the advantage for many is it is the only show in town or within reasonable driving distance.

I got the 70% off notions for one day only in the mail however it was also posted on their website. I also get it on my smart phone through their app.
Old 08-13-2014, 01:19 PM

Did anyone mention books? I have a few electronic quilt books, but prefer paper copies...just seems easier to browse and read the directions. I get most of my quilt books ( a weakness) from Joanns or Half Price Books. I'm lucky in that I live about a mile from a nice Joann' s superstore and can really maximize coupons. I also get batting, thread, and notions. When they are on sale I also use my teacher's discount for an additional 15% off. I rarely get anything full price there...just wait until what I want is on sale.
Old 08-13-2014, 02:44 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
Notions and fusible interfacing .......
Me, too. Only.
We got a new Joannes 2.5 years ago that went into our mall. I didn't much care for them before but now I have to walk too far from the car to get to it, I've chosen to not patronize them.
Old 08-13-2014, 03:26 PM

I have a real love-hate relationship with Joann. I do shop there -- and have quite a bit lately -- but only because of great coupon buys. The 70% off notions wall mentioned, plus I also scored quilting notions at 50% plus an extra 20% off. But... they've trained me now to want at least 50% off or more, so that's what I wait for. Unfortunately, as others have mentioned, their prices seem to be creeping higher to offset the discount games they play, so I'm going to have to keep an eye on that.
Old 08-13-2014, 03:28 PM
Power Poster

I stopped shopping there years ago after it was bought out and they changed their business style. There was a time that it was my basic fabric go to place and over 15 years I spent thousands there.

I will stop in if I need needles or curtain hooks or use the bathroom.

Fabric is now very limited, no fun there any more, IMHO. (At my nearest Js)
peace
Old 08-13-2014, 04:13 PM

I buy Warm & Natural, some thread, and notions at Joann's. As far as fabric, I love quilt shop quality and am willing to pay for it. Of course, there is also Ebay and other sites where one can find great buys on brand name fabrics. I have done that too, but do like to support the locals to keep them in business.
Old 08-13-2014, 04:21 PM

I buy everywhere and you can get different quality everywhere even in a quilt shop. you have to feel the fabric