Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you buy?? >

What do you buy??

What do you buy??

Old 08-14-2014, 05:41 PM

Actually I shop at both....but I only buy the higher quality of cloth but with a coupon you can get some great savings
Old 08-15-2014, 08:42 AM
Power Poster

I have shopped at both. Depends on the project.
Now that I have a lot of lqs quality fabrics, I go into joanne's
for the notions, books on sale or crafts, trims.
Old 08-15-2014, 08:49 AM

I shop at Joann's and Hancocks because I enjoy the atmosphere there. We went to Hancocks yesterday and found a yard of the linen I needed for my current purse project. It cost me 2 bucks for the yard of linen in the remnant bin!

Then my husband surprised me with 4 new pairs of shears......a cute pair of 7" Mundial dressmaker shears and a set of soft gel cushioned scissors in three different sizes!
Old 08-15-2014, 09:02 AM

I usually buy patriotic fabrics when they are on sale at JoAnn's. Last week they were 40%, I bought 10 yards.
I make Quilts of Valor, I help support my group of quilters with fabric when I can afford it.
Old 08-15-2014, 09:22 AM

I buy from any place that sells fabric as long as I like the fabric. You can find good and bad fabric anywhere you shop. I just bought two beautiful fabrics from Walmart yesterday, heavy and a very good hand. I wasn't looking to buy fabric but it caught my eye and when I looked it over I just had to buy it.
Old 08-15-2014, 01:23 PM

Joanns has jewelry makings and knitting and Home Dec fabric - I do not buy quilting fabric there. If I'm spending that much on fabric I'm going to my lqs or online.
Originally Posted by Sandygirl View Post
At Joanns? Just curious. I tend to shop at quilt shops because I love the quality of the fabric. There is always chatter about shopping at the chains. Enlighten me!
thank you
Sandy
Old 08-15-2014, 01:37 PM

Check Joann's web site. There are coupons and a place to click for the current sale flyer every week. I have had my flyer scanned a couple of times and no one around here is receiving the big mailings any longer. Just a large post card. Even our Sunday newspaper only has information about once a month if that often.
Old 08-15-2014, 03:59 PM

I shop at JAF frequently, as well as Walmart and the LQS near me. Depends what I am looking for as to where I shop. Today I was at JAF and bought an ironing board cover (50% off coupon) and a white fabric paint pen (50% off coupon). I spent a total of $10.39. The board cover would have cost me at least $10 at Walmart or Target.

I buy fabric at JAF as well as LQS, sometimes even at Walmart. All I know is that you have to look over the fabrics well. There is good fabric at JAF, Walmart & LQS as well as cheap fabric at all three. Know your needs, your budget and your fabrics.
Old 08-15-2014, 06:53 PM
Power Poster

Batting, thread, templates, patterns, blades. On sale or with coupons
Old 08-15-2014, 10:20 PM

I don't spend as much time at Joanns, Hobby Lobby or even at quilt shops like I used to do but I hit Joann's for notions(mainly needles), rotary cutter blades, books, cotton yarn when the knitting/crochet make dishcloths 'bug' bites me, and I hit the place HARD when I was doing I Spy quilts for kids in the family- quilt shops had some novelties but TONS of kid novelties at Joanns as well as the fleece I used for the backings. I also buy batting and muslin for string quilts