Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you buy?? >

What do you buy??

What do you buy??

Old 08-15-2014, 10:25 PM

I buy some notions there, since my LQS has few notions other than thread. I also buy yarn there. Sometimes I also buy notions online, since our Joann's doesn't have much of a selection. I have even found some really good notions buys on eBay.

I buy fabric at my LQS, and sometimes online at the stores with good quality quilting fabric.

I don't enjoy Joann's much anymore, as I feel that the coupons are just contrived come-ons. I'd prefer consistently low prices with occasional big sales related to ends of season, etc.

Last edited by donnamcr; 08-15-2014 at 10:29 PM.
Old 08-16-2014, 02:24 AM

I don't buy much there at all. For one thing, their prices in general seem too high, and with only a few exceptions, their fabric is thin. The main reason I rarely shop there, though, is that their coupons are pretty much useless to me. They can only be used on non-sale items, and it seems like everything I want is on sale ... sometimes just for a piddly $1 off so that the coupon can't be used. On top of that, the local store gets downright huffy if you question their coupon policy, so I usually don't bother going there at all. I like Hobby Lobby's fabric better anyway, and they're in the same shopping center. And they're coupon-friendly.
Old 08-16-2014, 02:32 AM

Coupons - that's what keeps me shopping at Joann's. And, of course, sales. I buy rotary blades when there are on sale and other notions. I always use the coupons, especially what there is a percentage off your total order that includes sales items. The Joann's near me is small but there are 3 super Joann's within a radius of about 45 miles. My girlfriend and I go to them once in a while. There is definitely more of a selection of fabrics in the larger stores. I generally get notions, batting, interfacing, muslin and always check out their clearance bins. They are carrying a better selection of really nice material, but nothing beats your local quilt shop for the newest and best material and also the knowledge of the shop people, who are always willing to help in the selection of fabrics. In other words, shop both. With Joann's you need to have your flyer scanned on a regular basis so that you are kept on the mailing list.
Old 08-16-2014, 07:47 AM
Power Poster

I shop at all the stores. I like Hancocks well. I also like the local quilt shops. Depends on what I am shopping for. I always look for bargains..
Old 08-16-2014, 09:28 AM

Speaking of fusibles , can I get some comments on the difference or preference between Heat N Bond fusible fleece and the Pellon 987 fusible fleece? I am needing to buy some and don't want to get the wrong kind. Thanks for any input.

Originally Posted by Jackie Spencer View Post
I buy my fabric at QS, usually at Sale prices. Quilt fabric does not have to be $11.00 or $12.00 a yd. I do this because I love Moda, Benartex, etc. I do buy my notions, embroidery floss, batting, and fusibles at JoAnns.
Old 08-16-2014, 11:45 AM

I shop Hancocks, and J oanns and their coupons are accepted at each others store
Old 08-16-2014, 07:47 PM

If you are in St Louis, Wintson's still has garment fabric. They are located in St. Charles.

Originally Posted by maminstl View Post
I've been shopping at JoAnn's for garment fabric lately. It is the only game in town, and sometimes can find something good there. I just don't like their quilting fabric - quality not the issue - just not excited about their color/pattern selections. I'll also buy notions there.
Old 08-17-2014, 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by Rennie View Post
Speaking of fusibles , can I get some comments on the difference or preference between Heat N Bond fusible fleece and the Pellon 987 fusible fleece? I am needing to buy some and don't want to get the wrong kind. Thanks for any input.

I use the Pellon 987 for my purse projects. I steam it (using the applique sheet) to get it to adhere. I use it for table runners but the I don't fuse it for that. I use it just like a batting. I buy it by the bolt. I don't know if I have used the Heat N Bond fusible fleece. Just their fusible for applique. Works fine

sandy
Old 08-17-2014, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by Jackie Spencer View Post
I buy my fabric at QS, usually at Sale prices. Quilt fabric does not have to be $11.00 or $12.00 a yd. I do this because I love Moda, Benartex, etc. I do buy my notions, embroidery floss, batting, and fusibles at JoAnns.

If you want the latest' newest fabric collections, the shops pay a premium for them. Cotton prices went up drastically a few years ago. "Sale" prices clear out old stock and slow movers. Shops barely if ever recoup the price they initially paid for the once "newest" fabric that ends up in the sale area.

Sandy
Old 08-25-2014, 03:58 AM

I buy only online from the US. Most of my orders are from FabricDepot and from EQuilter. I also bought from VirginiaQuilter and 2 other shops I forget the names. Wish we had a JoAnns here in EU. My only LQS is expensive and the limited selection styles/colors in fabrics never bought there.I find that the fabrc quality of my last orders is thinner than what I used to buy 7 years ago. Notions I also buy in the US. Getting ready to buy again for Christmas fabrics.