Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What quilting advice would you give "the 10 years younger" you? >

What quilting advice would you give "the 10 years younger" you?

What quilting advice would you give "the 10 years younger" you?

Old 10-25-2015, 03:38 PM

1. only buy what you need for your current project.
2. always buy all you need for your current project, except the backing. Buy that AFTER the top is finished.
3. always do it how you want to do it.
4. if you ask the opinions of others, be prepared to get as many opinions as those you ask. Then, revert back to #3.
5. everyone loves a quilt so never question "should I or shouldn't I"?
6. whether you use miles of thread to quilt striking patterns or pillowcase it, it's still a quilt.
7. pick the brightest, happiest colors and the buy the best fabric you can afford. Even 2 fabrics makes a lovely quilt.
8. if you hate it, finish the top. if you still hate it, use it to dust with.
Old 10-25-2015, 04:28 PM

Some quilts are about the destination. Some are not. Enjoy the journey of the slower ones.

Those that don't turn out to your liking, someone out there will love
Old 10-25-2015, 04:42 PM

Speaking to solely to my younger self, mind you, no one else, and taking into account mistakes I had to learn from along the way from there to here...
  • try everything, absolutely everything, and give it at least three honest chances before deciding whether to never attempt it again, for there have been several loves in your life that were not immediate passions;
  • put your money into quality supplies and equipment, for they are an investment in your future comfort and joy;
  • maintain your machine as well (or better) than you do your vehicle, for you will often drive it at night and on weekends when no mechanic is available;
  • never buy precuts or kits, for you learned how to cut fabric before you started kindergarten and there is no need to pay someone to do it for you now that you are grown;
  • never, ever, hold back on putting yourself into your work, for it will speak with your voice long after you are gone.
Old 10-25-2015, 05:21 PM

Find a class or group to join so that you can make friends and share questions with.
Old 10-25-2015, 05:41 PM

Attend quilt shows, and any other quilt displays to develop your taste and see the possibilities.
Old 10-25-2015, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
Refrain from buying so much fabric for the "stash". Buy for specific projects, then actually complete some of those projects before buying more!

Invest instead in better equipment -- an Accuquilt Studio, if you can afford it, or the newer electric Accuquilt Go! Being able to cut pieces precisely faster will allow you to make a lot more quilts.

Don't be afraid to machine quilt some of your creations. Actually starting to machine quilt is more important than being able to machine quilt perfectly.
I agree with you 100 %

Susan
Old 10-25-2015, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by toverly View Post
Have a purpose for every fabric you purchase. Way too much stash.
I agree with this.
Old 10-25-2015, 06:16 PM

In fact when I find a fabric I like I go through my pattern stash and buy fabrics for my own kits
Old 10-25-2015, 06:35 PM

Don't waste your time working on a quilt you don't like. And I agree about the stash accumulation! My quilting style and fabric choices have changed dramatically over the last 10 years, and I have fabric and kits I'm not so crazy about anymore.
Old 10-25-2015, 07:05 PM

Buy only the fabric you need for a specific project.

When I began making quilts, I bought waaaaaaaay too much fabric for each of them. In part, I didn't know how fabric is measured, but the larger part was that I thought I'd make multiples of successful quilts.

What I've learned over the years is that the most promising, intriguing quilt pattern is the one you haven't made yet!

I'm doing my best to hold to a "no new fabric purchases" pledge while I work through my enormous stash.

ON THE OTHER HAND: If you think you're going to need a whole lot of a specific fabric to complete a quilt you're making, buy all that you need when you see it! Jo~ann Fabrics stocked a particular black-on-black fabric for so many years that I stopped worrying about being able to buy it as I needed it. Alas, it's been completely unavailable for the past 6 months (both in stores and on the website). While I've emailed Jo~ann's to inquire, I'm not expecting a positive response.