Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What quilting advice would you give "the 10 years younger" you? >

What quilting advice would you give "the 10 years younger" you?

What quilting advice would you give "the 10 years younger" you?

Old 10-26-2015, 05:51 AM
Power Poster

I like Tartans answer. Wish someone had told me that---lol
Old 10-26-2015, 06:12 AM

Well, seeing as I was 13 ten years ago and not yet quilting it is a bit tricky, but I would definitely say to get a job early because quilting is expensive. Also stop procrastinating so much! At everything lol
Old 10-26-2015, 06:20 AM

I would have to say--be selective about giving away your quilts. Some people just don't understand the work involved. A friend made a very detailed miniature wall hanging to commemorate a marriage--names, date, etc. She got a "thank you for the potholder" in return. I make lots of charity quilts but they are simple patterns that I don't fuss a whole lot over. I just enjoy the fabric and the serenity of sewing them.
Old 10-26-2015, 06:39 AM

Slow down and learn to hand quilt. It's a journey, not a race!!
Old 10-26-2015, 06:45 AM
Power Poster

Heed everyone's suggestions on this board then do it your way. It's your project. If you buy precuts check them thoroughly to see how accurate in measurements they are. Throw in a lingerie bag to prewash. Lord only knows who handled them before.
Old 10-26-2015, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by MissSongbird View Post
Well, seeing as I was 13 ten years ago and not yet quilting it is a bit tricky, but I would definitely say to get a job early because quilting is expensive.
Back in my day, 13 year-olds quilted, chopped wood and walked to school barefoot in snow up to their chins.
Old 10-26-2015, 07:28 AM

Great thread! First as several others have said do not impulse buy fabric and build up a purposeless stash of fabric. I've quilted for 20 years and still have some of the original purchases. They are dated and I have an unmanageable collection of totes, bags and boxes which I'm frantically trying to use up so I can get the styles and colors I now love. I would now buy for a project and complete the project, not just impulse buy. I usually don't have enough of the stash yardage and can't get more. Works great for charity quilts and is certainly much cheaper, but very guilt producing for me.

Second is you do not need a machine with 100 different fancy stitches and options for quilting. A heavier duty basic machine is perfect for quilting and basic sewing. I bought a Pfaff 7570 years ago, but then added bigger, fancier Janomes because I thought I needed the size and features. Not true. My go to machine is still the Pfaff and I would be thousands of dollars richer.
Old 10-26-2015, 07:34 AM

It's not the number of quilts you can make, it's the satisfaction and joy you feel in making the challenging ones even if it takes years!
Old 10-26-2015, 07:46 AM

I have/had a purpose for every fabric I've ever bought, because i swore that I would not buy fabric I did not need. However, sometimes my memory and I forget why we bought it, and that darn thing called a job gets in the way of sewing faster.

Happy quilting
Susan
Old 10-26-2015, 08:15 AM

I've only been quilting for a little over a year, so the one thing I would have told myself 10 years ago, is "start quilting now!"