Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What quilting advice would you give "the 10 years younger" you? >

What quilting advice would you give "the 10 years younger" you?

What quilting advice would you give "the 10 years younger" you?

Old 10-25-2015, 07:17 PM

1. Figure out what kind of a quilter you want to be and work towards that goal....but don't be surprised if you don't change your mind!
2. Don't try to force yourself to do work you don't love. Life's too short. Everything you work on is a learning experience so if a project doesn't work out as you planned, as long as you learn something from it it's a success.
3. Avoid trendy fabrics when building a stash, and don't build one if you aren't going to work from it. I do applique and scrap style quilts so a stash works for me. However, if I only made specific projects I would avoid it.
4. If you are a stash builder only buy high quality fabrics that you really love. Don't buy it just because it's a bargain, there's a reason it's on sale.
5. Learn technique! I once had a sewing teacher who told us that she was going to teach us the rules so we would know how to break them. If you ever want to win a competition you have to have good technique.
6. The most important thing is to do your own work and don't be intimidated by people who say they know more than you do. They may know more about quilting than you do, but you know more about yourself. Be true to that!
Old 10-25-2015, 07:35 PM

Don't worry about the times when you lose your quilting mojo. Give yourself grace, do something else for awhile and trust that your zeal will return. It always does.

Buy an iron that doesn't leak. Your skin is worth that $30. But you can buy a $4 iron just as good at the thrift store sometimes. Just use the iron because wrinkles matter. So does accuracy.

Go for excellence, not perfection. Excellence is attainable, but perfectionism stunts growth.

Sometimes it's the people you'll never meet who appreciate your quilts the most. Keep making quilts for the love of quilting and the comfort of others.
Old 10-25-2015, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Sew faster! So many great patterns yet to do and I will never have enough time to do them all.
Haaha, love that.

Besides that take classes.

Last edited by sewellie; 10-25-2015 at 08:01 PM.
Old 10-26-2015, 01:39 AM

Take half an hour every day to quilt - even during the week when you work. Even if you don't "think" you feel like it. You know it always makes you relax and you enjoy it so much. Make yourself go into your sewing room every.single.day.no.matter.what. It's what you do for yourself. Don't overlook it.
Old 10-26-2015, 01:48 AM

It's ok to make mistakes, bite off more than you can finish and have fun along the way.
It's also ok to decide in the middle of a project that it just doesn't float your boat. Those pieces you cut so many of can become part of another (or several other) project(s) that you do like.
Old 10-26-2015, 04:05 AM

Join a quilt group. You'll learn more and get great help if you get stuck on something.
Don't buy kits or fabric for retirement.
Only make the quilts you want to make. Forget about what's in vogue (unless you really, really love the look) as that will date your quilt.
Always be on the lookout for new, easier ways to do things.
Old 10-26-2015, 04:08 AM
Power Poster

Do the best I can with what I have.

There will always be someone that is "better" or has "more."
Old 10-26-2015, 04:40 AM

I love my stash and I love my quilt group that meets on Wednesday. I wish I had started sooner in my life but I was always busy with kids, family and career. Now I am totally immersed in quilting. I want to learn more techniques. I basically love 30's but have reached out in many other directions. I love classes and I quilt for pleasure and donation. I do not aspire for ribbons but I love to go to quilt shows. I love supplies, my GO, my light box, special rulers, etc. Ten years ago I was just beginning and I knew then what I know now.. What took me so long?
Old 10-26-2015, 05:34 AM

Do the best you can given your skill level. Less than perfect is fine if it is your best.

The more you piece/quilt the better you become.

Heed the tips of the experts. They usually make life easier and your projects prettier.

It's not a race. Some people like to do things fast and get a lot done. Others like to savor the journey. Just because someone else made 10 quilts last month doesn't mean you have to as well.

You don't have to make king size quilts to be a quilter.

Not everyone uses pre-cuts, has EQ for designing their quilts or Accuquilt for cutting.

Buy the best you can afford but if you can't afford it don't get it. You don't need the latest and greatest machine or every ruler or gadget around to be a quilter.

It's an expensive habit/hobby.
Old 10-26-2015, 05:43 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by toverly View Post
Have a purpose for every fabric you purchase. Way too much stash.
I agree. I bought fabric when on sale at House of Fabric because the employees got 25% off the sale price. I HAVE TOO BIG OF A STASH !