Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What would Kon Mari do with quilters' stashes? >

What would Kon Mari do with quilters' stashes?

What would Kon Mari do with quilters' stashes?

Old 03-21-2015, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
Never heard of her, but have been a working flylady since I was introduced to her methods in the late 90's.
I will not be buried by 'stuff'.
She is the main reason behind going on the fabric wagon in October 2001. Only this year have I bought a few pieces of fabric. I'm certainly no longer enchanted by the idea of stash or shopping for fabric. Thank heavens.
What is that...a working flylady.?
It really just boils down to what WORKS for yourself..if unpleasant environment..find a solution.
So many couples where one saves and collects and the other wants no clutter...but the clutterbug can soon take over the empty spaces and cause much discord, even after decades together. Enough said.
Old 03-21-2015, 08:32 AM
RST

Flylady is a system put together by 2 sisters -- change lives with 3 x 5s. . . 27 object fling. . . shine your sink . . Any of that ringing bells for you? they have some good points and are helpful for people who got to adulthood with no ingrained sense of how to organize their space and time.

I've heard it said that the flylady approach tells you what to throw away while Kon mari tells you what to keep. Either way, both systems tell you that having too much stuff is the root problem if you struggle with clutter and keeping things organized.
Old 03-21-2015, 08:52 AM

I have to join those that haven't heard of her also. My philosophy is I have an overabundance of sewing and quilting related items so my joy is to share those things that I have in excess with others that don't have. Through this I have found my cup runneth over I have more than I will ever use in several life times. The joy I get from sharing my stash and knowledge you just can't buy.
Old 03-21-2015, 11:03 AM
Power Poster

I have not heard of the Konmari phenomenon, however, I love my fabrics and my stash. I had to purge approx. 50% of my fabric, which included fabric from my sister when she passed away, and I made some tough choices, some I regret, however, I cannot go back. When my DH suggested that I get rid of even more fabric I refused, as I felt that I had given away more than I wanted to, and refused to part with any more. It didn't belong to him, so he didn't care what happened to it. Fortunately, my girlfriend took the fabric, keeping some for herself and giving away fabric to charitable causes. I say fortunately, because sure enough I needed a large piece of fabric to back a family reunion quilt, I knew I had given it to her, and she kept it aside and was happy to return it to me so that I could use it on that quilt, as she figured I might be able to use it at some point. Good friends are hard to find and she is definitely a keeper.
Old 03-21-2015, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Krisb View Post
She would take every fabric in the stash and throw it in the middle of the living room floor. Then pick up each piece, one by one, and ask if it still brings joy to her life. If no, it receives thanks for the good job it did do, and goes to a place where it can now bring joy to someone else's life. If yes, press it, refold it using minibolts or some other method that allows it to be seen and loved every day, and replaced tidily in the cupboard. Then it is time to attack the gadgets, rulers, etc. I am quite sure that only one of the two 6x24 rulers is loved and used.
Well, in that case, I am sure I could have made 2 quilts while she's still going through my stash, piece by piece. (Or maybe even 3 or 4, depending on the pattern.)

I'm not sure how you can know you are not happy with a piece of fabric as you don't know what will come along.

Just yesterday I received 13 tops that are lap quilt size. I want to make them into twin sized and then they will be made into quilts for people here in Poland. I was just going through some of my fabric to see what matches and/or coordinates. Most of these aren't my style at all, colorwise, but thankfully I do have some fabrics that coordinate. I could never do that if I did what she says to do. I guess I would say, "Keep it all--it all brings me happiness."

So, once I finishing making the lap quilts into twin sized quilts, I will need backing for all 13. That ends up being quite a bit of fabric in this one "fell swoop". I'm glad, though, as I can use up some of my less desirable fabrics--maybe even my "unloved" stuff, but stuff I have for this very reason.
Old 03-21-2015, 01:35 PM

As another apparently non-breathing person living under a rock, I have to ask: is this person on television, and if so, what shows? That might explain why so many of us haven't heard of her.

hugs,
Charlotte
Old 03-21-2015, 02:52 PM

Never heard of her either! LOL But we had a speaker at our guild who has spent time with Japanese quilters. They have a different philosophy about quilting than we do. I don't think they have a stash. I think they work on 1 project at a time.

I am at that age where we might be moving within the next 3 years. In addition to cleaning out my mom's house after she passed this winter. Tired of 'stuff'! :-o
Old 03-21-2015, 03:09 PM
RST

She's all over youtube, the New York Times, multiple books, ubiquitous in Japan and on the left coast where there's apparently more Asian influence. She's also got a huge European following. Google if you're curious.
Old 03-21-2015, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by RST View Post
She's all over youtube, the New York Times, multiple books, ubiquitous in Japan and on the left coast where there's apparently more Asian influence. She's also got a huge European following. Google if you're curious.
As a former Californian, I'd say that explains it.

hugs,
Charlotte
Old 03-21-2015, 05:45 PM
Power Poster

I am also among the non bresthing.

Sometimes it is the print that i considered ugy by itself that is perfrct for the pattern.