Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What would Kon Mari do with quilters' stashes? >

What would Kon Mari do with quilters' stashes?

What would Kon Mari do with quilters' stashes?

Old 03-21-2015, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
I am also among the non bresthing.

Sometimes it is the print that i considered ugy by itself that is perfrct for the pattern.
Yep. I just made a test sandwich with a "what was I thinking" fabric, ran a bunch if stitching lines on it, and now it totally goes with a new quilt I'm designing. Unless I flat-out hate it, I'd be hesitant to ditch any stash in an effort to streamline.

Hugs,
Charlotte
Old 03-21-2015, 11:40 PM

[QUOTE=carrieg;7135883]Never heard of her either! LOL But we had a speaker at our guild who has spent time with Japanese quilters. They have a different philosophy about quilting than we do. I don't think they have a stash. I think they work on 1 project at a time.
/QUOTE]

I have to say that I'm trying to get rid of stuff--except for stuff relating to quilting! Really. I'm getting rid of as much as I can--but we're at that "kids are grown/almost grown but no grandkids yet" stage which leaves me in a strange state as to children's books, the best toys, etc. (the less than the best are gone already).

I'd not heard of her either, BTW, but minimalism has its set of followers. I'd think the Japanese would follow this line of thinking as so many of them live in apartments with little space. NYNYers probably think the same as many of them are in very small spaces without room for any sort of storage.
Old 03-22-2015, 07:03 AM
Swap Hosts

I had never heard of her before, but thank you for posting. I just bought her book on Kindle -- one less book to toss -- and love the concept. I plan to start tomorrow.
Old 03-22-2015, 07:11 AM
Swap Hosts

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
Wonder if that also applies to family members?
I had a laugh-out-loud moment when reading the section about testimonials -- how her method changed lives. The second one said she got rid of her husband.
Old 03-23-2015, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by RST View Post
It's hard to be living and breathing and not run into the Konmari phenomenon (The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up. The author is Marie Kondo. ) She's the Japanese organizational diva who advocates keeping only those objects which spark joy in your heart, and purging everything else. The process of ridding yourself of everything but what you love leaves you with peace, joy, harmony and order, she says.

I wonder what she'd make of quilters. I think I'm like many quilters -- my fabric does indeed spark joy for me. But even so, my sewing room can get to be a mess. Are we the exceptions that prove the rule?
I imagine any organization devotee would have issues with a lot of crafters and or collectors. But there has to be some balance, it would not give me joy to be running out somewhere or ordering online and waiting for the various things I need in order to pursue my source of enjoyment...
Old 03-23-2015, 07:18 AM

I don't have an issue with any of us having and loving our stash. My issue is with good stewardship of our financial life.

Having experienced it first hand I recognize the need to buy more fabric or that perfect tool is a type of addiction.
We are buying the 'dream', just like the person who bets on the horses or stands in front of the slot machines.
It isn't fabric in our mind, but the vision of the finished project...which for the most part will never get made if we are honest. What is the most often seen words here? "I'll never live long enough to use all my fabric" yet they keep shopping.

Unpopular view I'm sure
Old 03-23-2015, 07:34 AM

There is something odd about investing everyday objects with such value. It is like animism. Manufactured objects don't have spirits or souls. It would take a lot bigger ego than I have, to think ANYTHING I own is that important that I need to talk to it! Or maybe my ego is just too big to think possessions are worth my time talking to them and fondling them.

I do have things of beauty, art, and sentiment which I treasure. But I can't imagine thanking an old cast-iron enamel pot for years of use - it chipped, it rusted, out it goes. Or a worn-out sweater. I like my new sweater, and I will wear it until it wears out, but it doesn't bear having a relationship with. When my bunny slippers scurry over and put themselves on my bare feet, I'll let you all know.

Buy hey, if this theory works for people to get organized, and I guess it does, hey, whatever it takes!

uh-oh I just realized I have never thrown out a book. Build more shelves!
Old 03-23-2015, 10:00 AM

Started reading and it has some good points. Keep in mind the most relevant points (for stash management) are keeping the items that bring you joy and storing them so you can see them, thus you avoid buying duplicates. Oh, and try to store all like items together.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I have never heard of her. I am happy with my life and won't change anything but maybe will try to get more organized but that is not in my 2nd nature.
my feelings exactly!
Old 03-23-2015, 10:44 AM

I checked out some of her youtube videos -- she's absolutely adorable! If we apply her principles, do we get to look like her, too? LOL.