Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
When you see your quilt >

When you see your quilt

When you see your quilt

Old 08-18-2012, 04:00 AM

I've made quilts for all my brother's and sister's grandchildren.... and I've never seen how they were used. I don't even think about it..... I enjoyed making them. My nieces and nephews now know that there will be a quilt coming when they have an addition to the family and they seem to be excited about it. That's good enough for me.

I do see the quilts I've made for my granddaughter and her little one. She's saving the baby's quilt for an heirloom but the quilt I made her for a wedding gift is used everyday. So, what each person does with the beautiful quilt you make is their choice. After all, it's their quilt now. You gave it away with love..... now move on to the next one.
Old 08-18-2012, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by Skyangel View Post
I made a quilt for each of my three (step) grandchildren when they were born. I made them to match my step-daughters nursery theme and colors, and bought high quality fabric and paid for LA quilting to complement. I've never seen them again. That hurts my feelings but I won't ever say anything.

My sister hinted that she would like a king-sized quilt made into a duvet cover to cover up her store bought comforter SO THE DOGS COULD GET ON THE BED AND NOT DAMAGE HER COMFORTER. Fat chance I would ever make one for her.

I try to let go when I give one of my quilts as a gift but when I put so much of myself into it's kind of watching your child going out into the world and wanting them to be loved. It is easier to donate a charity quilt knowing you'll never see it again.

That made me laugh - sorry - but it reminded me of the very expensive wall quilt I made that a friend persuaded - nagged - me to part with for her wedding anniversary present as it would be 'perfect' on her wall. It ended up - right side up - on a pool table "to prevent the cat from scratching the felt". I wasn't so much hurt as annoyed - I won't 'gift' anything now unless I really want to; I certainly won't have a good quilt wheedled away from me just because someone takes a fancy to it. I think maybe I over react re that quilt because it was the first Mariner's Compass quilt I made and it took me ages to get every point perfect.
Old 08-18-2012, 05:15 AM

I made a lap quilt for a friend of my daughter. This friend was extremely helpful in atime of need and they are quite close. She had been in the Army and her husband was serving his second tour in Iraq so I made her a patriotic quilt. My daughter said she loved it but I never even got an email thank you from her. A few years later I asked my daughter if the friend ever used her quilt and the reply was that she kept it folded over the back of a chair in her bedroom and would not put it on her bed because her dogs would sleep on it. Last year I heard that this friend is suffering from cancer of the cervix. I made her a single bed size quilt of the cancer colors and told her whenever she needed a hug to wrap up in it. I heard from her via facebook but by daughter told me that the friend took it to the hospital with her every time she had to go. This friend is not very demonstrative but when you hear things like that second hand, it kind of makes it all worthwhile.
Old 08-18-2012, 05:37 AM

Maybe they have turned the back side out in order to protect the front!
Old 08-18-2012, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by TanyaL View Post
When you have given a quilt as a gift and later you see it used on a bed, but it is not being shown, another quilt is on top, or a comforter or a bedspread, are your feelings hurt? When you have given a lap quilt and you see it displayed on a sofa, but the back of the quilt not the front is the side that is being shown, are your feelings hurt? Do you say anything? If you gave a lap quilt and thought it would be used on the sofa and you saw it used in the car, would you be hurt?

I'm thinking of a comment that "The front of the quilt was just too busy with all that pattern and color - the solid color of the back was so much nicer."!!!!
Some times people love the quilts we give them, but don't want to put them out because "SOME THING MIGHT HAPPEN TO IT". My mom wants to use the quilts I have given her, so she has put one on her bed with a blanket on top "TOO KEEP THE QUILT SAFE" from the dogs. The best part is she take EVERYONE into the bed room and shows them her quilt. It is also the same with showing the BACK. If some one rubs on it or a dog lays on top (bottom up), a toe nail will NOT damage it. Remember we give quilts out of love and to be used - if someone uses it, even if not the way you would like - you need to remember that they are loving it and it is being used. Remember we give gifts from the HEART.
Old 08-18-2012, 05:52 AM

My feelings wouldn't be hurt; I would just be happy that the quilt is being used!
Old 08-18-2012, 06:06 AM

Sometimes the back is displayed to protect the front. So no one will spill on it or the sunlight wont fade it. The same on the bed. Perhaps she rotates what is on top and you just have not seen yours on top. Yes sometimes it hurts but we do not know why they do what they do.
Old 08-18-2012, 06:15 AM

I made crib size quilts years ahead of ever needing them for any future grandchildren that I might have. I prayed someday I'd be a Grandmother and who knew if I'd be able to make quilts when the time came. Fast forward many years later and my daugther was pregnant with our first grandchild and I opened up my hopechest and let her choose which one she wanted for the baby. My granddaugther is now 9 yrs. old and she STILL brings that quilt upstairs with her when she wakes up!! It is now in shreds but she won't take anything new she loves her "Blankie". Her brother who is 4 also loves his quilt. He also brings his upstairs when I am on duty babysitting. It does my heart good that they really do love and appreciate them. But I really am more than ready for my granddaugther to adopt a new, bigger quilt and tuck old Blankie away. But so far she won't hear of it!!
Old 08-18-2012, 06:19 AM

A gift (quilt) has to be given from the heart with no strings attached. You may have seen it in a car, but it may not always be there. It may have been seen under another quilt, but it may not always be there. Yes, it feels good to see quilts out where you know that they are being used, but we can't control what another person does with a quilt that we gift them with.
Old 08-18-2012, 06:25 AM

I'm just happy that they are being used! When you never see them again is the when I get worried! I learned from crocheting and knitting that people don't understand the value of handmade gifts unless they create things also.

FREE Quilting Newsletter