Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
When you see your quilt >

When you see your quilt

When you see your quilt

Old 08-18-2012, 06:03 PM

It really is funny how we make them and love to see them period. I made one for my great niece and I love when I see pics on Facebook of the baby laying on the quilt. They just moved into a new house and when they took pics to show everyone, I caught a glimpse of my quilt. Another one was on a video just love seeing my quilts.
Old 08-19-2012, 02:39 AM

I gave a wall hanging to some one, the next time I seen it, it was nailed to a wall in the bathroom and backward. Yes, I did have a sleeve & label on it. I asked why he hung it backward, his excuse he wanted everyone to see who made it. No more quilts of any kind for him. I wasn't only hurt, I was very angry.
Old 08-19-2012, 03:34 AM

When I make a quilt and give it away - they may use it as they want to - but my pleasure is in the making - I loved making it, enjoyed the process and and enjoyed the "giving part" on to the next... all of my quilts have been used and loved, - a nice warm feeling.
Old 08-19-2012, 04:05 AM

When you give a quilt away, it isn't your's any more, sad to say. I've never made a bed size quilt except for ME. Don't want anyone to think they HAVE to use it cuz I gave it to them. Refuse to make bed size quilt for wedding gift. What if what I like is not their style? Would hate for a DIL to be pressured to decorate Their bedroom around MY tastes in color and design.
Old 08-19-2012, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by Toni C View Post
If they are using it all I would be tickled. (Except that hand quilted one that took me a couple of years on the garage floor for a dog bed.) Never said anything but never gave them anything else either. OK another question:Would you want the person you gave a quilt to say right up front "Thanks but I really don't like this." and give it back to you?
Yes! I would rather have it back. Lots of time and expense goes into quilting. I also want them used and not abused. I also feel that when I spend weeks and pay up to $10 a yard and then pay to have it quilted, a phone call to say thank you would not hurt anyone. You would think someone that sews would know this. All I got was a five word text. I don't expect a marching band with fireworks, but just call and TALK and say THANK YOU.
Old 08-19-2012, 05:23 AM

I have only given quilts to my mom! :lol: and one small one was meant (by me) to be used in her bedroom but she had it on a chair in the living room when I visited. I have to laugh at myself for being slightly miffed. I had another one with me that I made for her bed. It isn't a masterpiece by any means, and the back is about as interesting as the front. I can't be offended if she doesn't end up using it like I pictured.
Old 08-19-2012, 05:29 AM

That's why you have to decide if the person is "quilt worthy" before you give it.
Old 08-19-2012, 05:31 AM

I have enjoyed reading everyone's post on this subject.
My four adult children love my quilts. They each have a lap quilt that they use. This year for Christmas they will all receive a queen size quilt. My 2 SILs like theirs. I've made wall hangings for them and they are displayed. My youngest son is not very careful with things and I knew he would use his for camping so I made it with cotton/poly and polyester batting to be more durable and washable and tied it. My daughters wanted Christmas quilts so they are big enough for lap quilts but also have a sleeve so they can hang them.
My grandson has 4 quilts I have made him. He is 7. One was very involved for his bed. Two were for laying on the floor etc. One was for his teddy bear. Every time he comes to visit and sees a new quilt in progress he asks if it is for him. (He loves getting them.)
I made one for my niece as a wedding gift and asked her mom about colors. I gave a sheet of care directions (ie. how to wash etc.) with it. She loved the quilt. When they moved into their first home they decorated their bedroom around the quilt. I received a beautiful note of thanks from them.
I make toddler quilts for my great nieces and nephews and tell them they are theirs to use as forts, for watching tv etc. My sister told me that her grand daughter took hers everywhere with her.
I made a baby quilt for my daughter's best friend and she said no one had ever done anything so nice for her, she hung it in the nursery. It was the 3rd quilt I ever made. Her daughter is now 12. It did get used but not the way I expected. As others have said we can't control how they are used once given.
My mom uses hers everyday on her bed. I make her window hangings for her front door. She can change them out. It keeps the drafts out of her house. She loves looking at them.
I guess I've been lucky. They have all been appreciated.
When I make one for my brother I will take into consideration that his dog gets on the bed so it will be very durable and washable. I know he will use it and appreciate it.
I think because we were encouraged as kids to make gifts for birthdays and Christmas my siblings appreciate homemade things and so do their children.
Old 08-19-2012, 05:50 AM

Thumbs up I was hurt

My mother was a quilter and made many by hand. I displayed most of them in a rotation. When she lived in an assisted living facility I made her a bed runner using the colors in a picture of wild lupines that was hanging over her bed and was given to her by my sister​. I also bought a very expensive matelase white bed spread and shams. Before I left her room she had gone out into the hall waiting for people to invite in to see her "new look". One month later she called me to say that she took everything off her bed, that I could pick them up, "it's not what I like". I now have a wonderful new look in one of the cabin bedrooms. I guess it was a win win situation.
Old 08-19-2012, 05:55 AM

Several years ago, I made a Christmas quilt for the family of our first exchange student. When they sent pictures of their celebration, my quilt was on the back of their couch, backwards. When she went home, I made her a log cabin quilt and sent her parents a flying geese quilt. They took a picture of the quilt, again backwards on their bed. My feelings is they are using my quilts that I gifted them, for allowing their daughter to travel to the USA from Germany. The quilts are their's to use and how they use them is OK with me.

FREE Quilting Newsletter