Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why does it cost so much to repair a sewing machine? >

Why does it cost so much to repair a sewing machine?

Why does it cost so much to repair a sewing machine?

Old 09-06-2010, 07:23 AM

Sorry you had that problem. I just sent a Singer Futura 900 (from the '50's) in for service. This guy charges flat rate of $70 and completely cleans and tunes the machine. If he sees there are parts needed and it is going to be over $100, he calls. If he doesn't do the work there is no charge. And......he picks up and delivers for no extra charge. I know he is good becuz a friend of mine who used to work for Singer uses him for her machines.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:12 AM

One dealer charges $105 and the other $65, so I go to the cheaper one and get the same quality work, thank goodness.
Old 09-06-2010, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Aussie Quilter
Because you are not paying for what they do, you are paying for them knowing HOW to do it.
Exactly! If it was that easy, everyone could do it!
Old 09-06-2010, 09:59 AM

Ohhhh wish you were close to me, I have a gentleman who repairs machines for $25.00 and absorbs the small parts. He does not work on the newer electronic machines, but the older ones. He is a gem and will stand behind his work to boot, if it doesn't work properly bring it back.

There has to be someone somewhere who will fix it for less than 180.00 surely. Good luck.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:01 AM

hi, i'm new here... haven't introduced myself yet, but just wanted to say HI! and also, joann's only carries Singer sewing machines now, except for one White (very) basic beginner's sewing machine. maybe because of the lack of service and parts availability for the White? hhmmm.

ps: i love this message board, have learned so much from all of you! thanx! :-D
Old 09-06-2010, 10:49 AM

Where I work the standard cleaning, adjustment and oiling is $69 for electronic and $59 for manual machines. We encourage customers to tell us what's the ceiling for repair; it the technician feels he's going to hit that ceiling, he doesn't touch it. We often get machines in that,"my husband, the engineer" repaired, almost beyond repair. Sometimes the parts on older machines are not easily accessible and must be special ordered and shipped. Sometimes the parts are no longer made. Often, as in the case of gears, they should be replaced in pairs, and often if one set of gears has deteriorated, so will the remaining ones in a little while. Sometimes, as Lostin51 pointed out a teardown must take place (very time consuming). I recently had a plumber check for a gas leak in my dryer and fix two sinks that were dripping...$538, and my faucets aren't nearly as expensive as my sewing machine. Could I have done it myself? Possibly, but I could also blow up the house and make a bigger problem and still have to call the plumber. Servicing on anything (cars, appliances,sewing machines) does have a cost. I happily pay our technician for my sewing machine repairs (by the way, my sewing machine is worth 3.5 the value of my dryer.
Old 09-06-2010, 11:24 AM

I have bernina 830 and paid $89 for a tune-up so thought that was good!
Old 09-06-2010, 11:25 AM

HOW MUCH IS IT TO WORK ON A COMPUTER?????YR LOOKING AT $85 JUST THE MINIMUM LOL
Old 09-06-2010, 12:10 PM

i bought a brothers 1250d at xmas, just this month had to take in for repair as i was having trouble threading the machine right for the embroidering. thread bound up inside cost 200. to fix at dealer then another 399.00 for the 3 year maintenance on it. didnt realize they cost so much to fix as i have bought 2 other machines and they never needed repaired, course that was quite a few years back lol. there must be a special way to thread this machine as i got it back and still having a hard time to keep needle threaded. am hoping it doesnt have to go back for tune up for awhile. salsalady
Old 09-06-2010, 02:27 PM

I guess I am lucky to live where I do. I pay $55 for a general check up on my machines. I try to to take all my machines in every 12 to 18 months. I keep them clean as I can, but I paided alot for them and want to keep them running as efficently as possible. I called yesterday to find out what a maintance check would me on my HQ16 and it's $179. I will willingly pay that and I have to take it to him.